Nothing Hurts More Than A Betrayal

Life in Seoul, Korea

RRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

"Ugh..what time is it?" Your left hand slides across the table in search of your phone.  Grasping the fabric cover, you press the screen to check the time.  

6 a.m. 1 hour before work starts.  The night before you sat at the kitchen table with your drawings and ideas sprawled across the table, unable to fall asleep, you were hoping the idea would appear before you and continued to work late into the night.  Too tired to work further however, you had dozed off  and now looking in the mirror, you look like a mess.  You always wondered if anyone could look pretty after waking up the next morning, but there was no time to complain.

RRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

You walked into your room to turn off the alarm clock and shower to wake yourself up.  Not in the mood for breakfast, you just had coffee and changed for work.  

Arriving at the office, you decided to look through the project folder to read over the project statement again and refresh your ideas. However, getting to your desk, you realize the folder was no longer on top of your desk.  You searched throughout all the cabinets thinking you misplaced it the night before when you were tired, but the folder was nowhere in sight.  You call to your assistant asking if she had seen the folder.  

"The folder is no longer here..." Her voice trails off and avoids your gaze.  

"What do you mean the folder is no longer here, where is it?"  You try not to look annoyed as you question her, but with the turn of events yesterday, your mood wasn't great. 

"The folder was given to Dohyun-sunbaenim to work on the project."  Your mind went blank at the name Dohyun-ssi.  If there was anybody you disliked in the company, it was him.  He was always against you entering the company and taking on big projects because you were a newbie.  He would compete against you in anything and show that he was the better designer.  

Quickly, you went to the manager’s office, questioning why the position of designer has change to Dohyun-ssi.  The manager, already prepared for the confrontation, tells you to sit down.  Doing as he says, you sit across from him, still enraged. “________-ssi, as a designer, you have to do what benefits the client, and in this situation, the client wanted a different designer with a new perspective." 

You were baffled at what the manager was saying, did he mean the Super Junior members didn't want you working on this project? The manager, understanding your troubled feelings told you to take a few weeks off.  "_______-ssi, why don't you take a few weeks off, you've been working hard lately with TVXQ’s concert and other music video preparations, you deserve some time to rest." 

Translated, it meant "Your job has been taken care of and we don't need you for a while so take some time off." Frustrated you walked out of the office and grabbed your things.  You couldn't believe that you were "fired" from the project, but didn't know what to do but agree to take the time off.  

As you walk to the elevator, the doors open and Leeteuk, Shindong, and Donghae appear.  Great, just the people you didn't want to see right now

Leeteuk suddenly appears right in front of your face. "________-ssi, are you ready to work on this project?" You were surprised and confused from his statement.

"What, I thought you didn't want to work with me anymore." You look at their faces, and Leeteuk and Shindong's facial expression change.  They look confuse just as you were.  

"What do you mean we don't want to work with you?" Shindong comes up and looks at you straight in the eyes.  

"I..I...thought...."

"Ah Leeteuk-ssi, Shindong-ssi, Donghae-ssi." Before you could reply to Shindong's question, Dohyun-ssi appears, greeting the members.  Dohyun-ssi looks down at you and grins innocently, "_______-ssi you shouldn't be here right now." 

Before you could reply to Dohyun-ssi's remark, Donghae steps in between you two and shakes Dohyun-ssi's hand.  "Ah, Donghae-ssi, thank you for this opportunity." The phrase struck you like lightning, did Donghae ask for the designer to change? Looking at Leeteuk and Shindong, they look just as surprise as you do.  Forming a fist in both hands, you shut your eyes, preventing any tears from falling.  Taking a deep breath, you turn past the members and walk into the elevator.  Before the doors completely close, you can hear Leeteuk calling your name.  

In the elevator, the scene of Dohyun and Donghae shaking hands replay over and over again. The bell rings for the first floor.  Wiping away the tears, you prepare to exit the elevator, but before you could, Yunho and his manager enter the elevator.  Yunho looks up and sees you and ask his manager to wait outside the elevator.  Yunho walks towards you and reaches his hand across to press the top floor.  He grabs your hand and waits in silence.  "Oppa..."  He squeezes your hand, preventing you from saying another word.  

Reaching the top floor, Yunho pulls you out of the elevator and drags you upstairs to the roof.  The gust of wind blows across your face, cooling the cheeks of your face.  You look across the horizon and breathe in the city breeze.  "Are you feeling better now?" Nodding your head, you wipe away any remaining tears. 

"Now tell me what was bothering you." With a stern face, Yunho forces you to tell him what made you upset.  You explain the whole story and look at him wondering what you should do.  Yunho rubs your head and explains that a misunderstanding must have occurred yesterday and all you needed to do was ask the members what you did wrong.  He also told you to move on from the project, otherwise problems could occur if the project keeps changing designers.  He agreed with your manager and said that you should take this opportunity to take some time off and rest before continuing any new projects.  

"_______-ah, don't worry, more opportunities to work with the Super Junior members will happen."  You felt better after talking to Yunho oppa but in the back of your mind, it still bothered you that the members didn't talk to you first before changing designers.  A part of you felt betrayed, but there was nothing for you to do now but forget.  You remain on the roof a little longer to cool your mind as Yunho left for his schedule.

                                                                                                                **********************

"Yah..Donghae-ah, why did you change designers?" Leeteuk and Shindong finally had the chance to ask Donghae when Dohyun-ssi left to make copies of the files.  Leeteuk and Shindong were still puzzled as to why the project designers were changed in one day.  Donghae was tired of the questions and already explained that the project wasn't going anywhere if they worked with you.  Leeteuk, now frustrated, grabs Donghae's collar and repeats the question.  "I didn't do anything wrong, she was always arguing with hyungs so I thought this was the best thing to do." Donghae was close to tears, and Leeteuk let go and sat down in the chair, sighing in frustration.  Shindong, finally explains to Donghae that he misunderstood the whole situation and that you had some good ideas that the members would like but now they have to change their design ideas.  "Donghae-ah, we didn't hate _______-ssi, we were just over excited about the ideas and started arguing to better improve them." Donghae couldn't believe he misread the situation and regretted what he had done. Angry at himself, he walks out of the meeting room and straight for the elevator. 

                                                                                                                ***********************

As the sun disappeared across the horizon, night air grew colder, forcing you to retreat back into the building.  You figure it was time for you to head home and take a few weeks off from work.  Getting in the elevator you head back down to the first floor.  The elevator suddenly stops at level 4, your office.  The doors part away from one another revealing Donghae standing there before you, waiting to get on.