Home Sweet Home

Life in Seoul, Korea

"Ah...thank you." You graciously grab the water bottle, conscious of Donghae's gaze on you.  Donghae grabs a chair and sits next to you.  Fumbling with his hands, he looks nervous and unsure of himself.  Heaving a sigh, he suddenly looks at you.

"Ah _______-ssi, about this project...I'm sorry to have caused you trouble and I should have talked to you and the members first before jumping to conclusions."  Looking at his face, you could see how much in pain he looked as he tried to find the right words.  Seeing him struggle made you feel uncomfortable as well.  

"Um...Donghae-ssi..." 

"________-ssi, can you come over here for a moment?" Before you could say anything to Donghae, the director calls you over to explain the camera details of the music video shoot and go over the project idea. 

"Yah Donghae-ah, hurry over here, we need to go over the choreography." The members were standing on one side waiting for Donghae as well as discussing what the scene of each member would be.  

Getting up, you excuse yourself and start to head over to the director, regretting you couldn't say anything to Donghae. The director was in the midst of explaining what the details were and how the scene was to be created with the structure.  You gave suggestions to improve the feelings and design of the various scenes to enhance the mood of the music video.  Immersed into your work, you forgot the upset feelings from before and concentrated on the project. The members enter one by one into the scene putting their acting into play, reminiscent of their song "Neorago (It's You)." As the boxes turn and form together, the highlight dance of the music video began as the chorus of the music arrives.  

Before realizing, hours passed after a countless number of retakes.  The members seem to be getting exhausted as you can see sweat drip from their foreheads.  Water bottles were constantly being delivered by the staff to keep the members hydrated.  Looking at your watch, it was already 4 am.  The shoot had gone well and feeling confident that no more trouble was to arise, quietly you go over to tell the director that you were to leave for your flight.  Giving your assistant the rest of the detail plans, you sneak out of the building to head home and get ready for a flight home in less than 2 hours.  

                                                                                                               ******************

"Good job everyone!"

"Thanks for all your hard work!"

The shoot finished for the day and the members greeted everyone before heading to the changing area.  While bowing to the staff worker, Donghae kept looking around.  Noticing your assistant So Eun, he walks over and asks you where you had gone.

"Ah ________-ssi is probably at the airport right now leaving on her two week vacation."

"What...Where is she going?" Surprised at Donghae's sudden reaction, your assistant hesitantly told Donghae that you left for your vacation, heading back home in the US. 

"Would you like me to contact her for you?" 

"Ah..Aniyo." Donghae left to the back while scratching his head in frustration, wishing he had the chance to clearly explain everything and talk things over with you. Two weeks was too long to wait.

                                                                                                               ********************

Waking up from your slumber, you look up at the ceiling reminding you that you were back home.  It had been four days since you last left Korea and you were happy to be back home after being away for many months.  Unlike in Seoul, you lived in a quiet neighborhood where all you could hear was the sound of birds and squirrels in your yard instead of the sound of honking cars.  Since the weather was nice outside; you decide to go for a run before eating breakfast. Your little brother Ethan was also awake at that time on his phone.  Taking his phone away from him, you ask if he wants to go run with you.  Reluctantly agreeing, he goes and puts on his tennis shoes.  Running in the usual area, you were greeted by many of the neighbors who were happy to see you back.   After a while, you once again found yourself back in the familiar neighborhood and can see your house up the hill.  Suggesting a race, your brother sprints ahead before you said start.  

"Yah, cheater, wait till I catch you." Bolting ahead, you notice your brother stopping inches before reaching your home.

"Gotcha!" You were about to punish him when suddenly he pointed his finger at the figure before your house.  

"Noona, do you know him?" Looking up, you see a figure pacing before your house.  Getting a closer look, a familiar silhouette appeared. 

"Donghae-ssi?" The figure turned around and saw you and your brother.  

"Ah _______-ssi, hi." Putting up his hand and waving, he acted like it was perfectly normal for him to be here in front of your home, miles away from Korea. 

"What are you doing here?" "How did you know I live here?" Millions of questions swirled through your head, not knowing which one to ask first.  Donghae walks up to you with one hand rubbing the back of his neck.

"Can I talk to you?" His voice sounded serious.  You were frozen in place not knowing what to say.

"Noona, is this your boyfriend?" Giggling as he was teasing you.  Surprised you told your brother to get in the house.

"But..." 

"Ethan, get in the house." 

"Fine..." After your brother left inside, you turn back to Donghae and ask if he would like to talk at the park down the street.  You both walk in silence as you reach the park.  It was currently summer time and many little kids were playing around.  You found an empty bench along the path and suggested to sit.  The atmosphere was awkward as you both sat with at least two inches of space left between the two of you.  

After what felt like hours of silence, you got the courage to speak up.  "Ah Donghae-ssi…"

"Ah _______-ssi..." The both of you started to speak at the same time, Donghae suggested you go first but you suggested he go first.  After much debating, Donghae decided to speak first.  

"Ah _______-ssi, continuing from what I said at the music video shooting, I acted unprofessional and shouldn't have done that to you, I'm sorry." You could see how apologetic he looked as he was trying to get the message across.  

"It's okay, I'm no longer mad about it and I'm sorry for overreacting."  Smiling back at him, you get up from the bench and stare into sunset.  You turn around with the sun at your back.  

"How about we start over, American style?" With a confused look, Donghae stood up to stand next to you.  As he got up, you extended your hand in front of him.  "Hi my name is _________, nice to meet you."  Unable to contain himself, he burst out laughing understanding what you meant about starting over. After calming himself, he grasps your hand and shakes it. "Nice to meet you too, my name is Lee Donghae."  As he finishes, you also couldn't contain your laughter after hearing him speak in English as well, releasing the tension you had minutes before.  While laughing so hard, you didn't notice that the concrete was sticking up from the ground and tripped forward.  Donghae grabs onto both your arms to steady you, but your face was already touching his chest.  

"Are you okay?" You look up at Donghae's face, inches away from one another.  You started to blush and quickly move away from him.  

"Ah...sorry!" Stabilizing yourself, you suggest heading back.  He shook his head saying that he had to head back to the airport, and hopes that he could see you more often from now on.  Surprise at his request, you could only nod back as he got inside the van he had come from.  You forgot that Donghae came here looking for you when he was supposed to be in Korea preparing for their album and working on the music video.  Going back inside, you were happy but also burdened that Donghae had taken time off to take a flight overseas and then back just to speak with you. 

Suddenly you receive a text.  Did Donghae-ah arrive yet, he kept asking me where you lived...kekeke _______-ah don't misunderstand anymore okay?

It was from Yunho oppa.  

Smiling you sent a reply before heading off to breakfast.  "Thank you."