Nine.

The Red Umbrella

Jaehwa leaned her back against the wall. The hand that had punched the wall was now oozing red and bruised but she felt nothing but a pinch of pain. Jin stood across from her, examining her from head to toe. Jaehwa stubbornly kept her eyes on the ground or at least away from him.

 

“I'm sorry.”

 

“Sorry for what. Never contacting me. Or are you sorry for rejecting me and then leaving. Or perhaps are you sorry for both.” Jaehwa clenched her fist, turning around to face the wall again before her bruised fist smacked against the wall a second time, “You ruined me.” She punched again, “You made me hate my brother.” She punched again, “You shattered my heart.” She punched again, “Just when I thought I was better.” She punched again, “Just when I thought I could possibly like someone else.” She punched again, “You came back.” She punched again before dropping her hand to her side.

 

Jin's eyes widened, quickly walking over and grabbing her wrist, “Are you okay.”

 

Jaehwa's eyes glistened with upcoming tears. Her lips formed a smile and laughter came out of . Jaehwa pulled her hand out of his grip, “Physical pain is so much better than emotional.” The blood tricked down her fingers and landed on the ground. Jaehwa held her hand up to her eyes and smiling, “Pretty isn't it.”

 

Jeongguk seemed distracted as Minah talked to him. The thought of where Jaehwa had gone kept crossing his mind. He would scan the crowd of people but her face never appeared. Excusing himself from Minah, he felt the need for a place that wasn't so crowded. Finally he came upon a long hallway. Jeongguk noticed the familiar color and look of dress when he walked further down the hallway.

 

“Jaehwa?”

 

Jaehwa stood up straight facing Jeongguk. She smiled, hiding her hand behind her back, “Jeongguk. I thought you were talking to Minah.”

 

Jeongguk nodded, “Yeah I was but I didn't like how crowded it was.” Jeongguk caught sight of the blood stained on her arm, “Your arm. It has blood on it right?” Jaehwa pulled out her hand and Jeongguk stared shocked at the sight, “W-We need to get you to a hospital don't we.”

 

Jaehwa shook her head, “It's nothing really. Can we just leave.”

 

Outside the sun was setting, giving the sky and red orange glow. Going to the nearest market, Jeongguk brought a first aid kit to Jaehwa who waited outside at the tables. She stared at her bloodied hand, running her other hand over it despite the blood staining it.

 

Jeongguk watched her from the entrance of the market. Apart of him wanted to ask what happened while the other didn't want to get involved. He placed the first aid kit in front of her, grabbing her hand and wiping all the blood off.

 

Jaehwa pulled her hand back, “I can do it myself.”

 

Jeongguk took her hand again, giving her a serious look that told her to stop. Finishing the wrapping, Jeongguk put all the things back into the aid kit. He sighed as he looked at Jaehwa who was more quiet than she had ever been with him. Standing from his seat, Jeongguk stepped to her, grabbed her free hand and ran.

 

Panting. Jeongguk and Jaehwa were panting. Jaehwa straightened her posture, slapping and hitting Jeongguk's back, “Are you crazy!”

 

Jeongguk, still panting, smiled, “Yes.”

 

Jaehwa looked at her surroundings, “Why did you bring me to the Han River.”

 

“I thought you might like the scenery.”

 

“That's sweet of you but I don't know.”

 

Sitting in front of the river. Jaehwa had taken off her shoes in complaint that it was Jeongguk's fault. The only sounds they could hear of were the people around them but they sat in silence. Jeongguk pulled out the ipod from his pocket, unwrapping the headphone and plugging one ear phone in his and the other in Jaehwa's.

 

As the music played, Jeongguk spoke, “Whenever I'm feeling mad or sad, I listen to music. I learned that a song can change your mood in minutes and I think it would be better for you than hurting yourself this way.”

 

Jaehwa listened to the soft music playing, “I know. I love music but sometimes it's not enough. You know how I said the umbrella brought good luck.” Jeongguk nodded, “My grandmother used to say that before any luck comes, bad luck will struck first and I'm wondering, when will my good luck appear. This red umbrella, feels useless.”

 

But the umbrella brought me to you. Jeongguk looked at Jaehwa before pulling her up.

 

“What are you doing.”

 

“Do you know, we're both dressed ready to go to a wedding but we never danced once.”

 

Jaehwa smirked, “You're very bold. Are you asking me to dance with you in the middle of strangers.”

 

“Yes.”

 

Jaehwa was struck for a moment at how much courage he had now. Her arms wrapped around his neck and his on her back. Some eyes watched the two but it didn't bother them at all. Jeongguk's heart pounded at the closeness he was with her. He didn't know how he had gained courage but was glad he did.

 

Jeongguk stared down at Jaehwa who looked back. He felt her tighten her grip around his neck. Jaehwa pulled his face closer to hers so they could feel each others breaths on each other. Inching closer, their lips made contact.