Five.

The Red Umbrella

The sun shined down from the sky and the red umbrella brightened. Jaehwa stepped with the clicks of her heels being heard down the street. She walked the same way she had when she went home the other day. Jaehwa held the umbrella over her head, she was never really fond of the sunlight. She found it annoying and too bright. Standing in front of the gates of the home, Jaehwa stood on her toes to get a better view inside.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

Jaehwa quickly stood back down, turning her head to a middle aged man. Jaehwa smiled innocently, “Do you live here?” The man nodded in astonishment, Jaehwa only smiled wider, “I'm looking for Jeongguk. Is he home right now.”

 

“Of course.”

 

Jeongguk's mother walked around the kitchen, setting up breakfast for her family. When she heard the door open and close, annoyance came over her, “What took you so long!” As she walked to the front door, her eyes widened when seeing the beautiful girl carrying a bag of groceries, “W-Who is this?”

 

“Hello.” Jaehwa bowed respectfully to her, “I'm Kim Jaehwa. I'm looking for Jeongguk.”

 

Jeongguk's mother suddenly filled with joy, a pretty girl had finally come into the house for Jeongguk, “He's in the shower right now. Let me take that bag and you go up to his room. It's the third door to the right.”

 

Jaehwa nodded, making her up the stairs as she could hear the happy whispers of the parents. She heard the shower running from the bathroom stop when she had entered his room. Jaehwa didn't know what to think as she looked down at the piles of clothing and papers scattered about on the floor. Jaehwa stepped over the clothing, looking on top of the desk where a pizza box sat. She opened it just as the door to the room opened.

 

“Umma! We're out of toilet paper!” Running the towel over his wet hair, Jeongguk jumped startled and screamed. His hand placed over his chest then his eyes darted back at Jaehwa, “What are you doing here in my room?”

 

Jaehwa placed a hand on her hip with her other hand holding up her cell phone, “I thought I specifically told you to text me last night and if you didn't I would come back here.”

 

“How did you even get in here?”

 

Jaehwa looked back at the pizza box, “Your dad let me in. Is this old pizza?” When she opened the box, she immediately dropped it and stepped back, “I think you should throw that away before more bugs come.”

 

“Sorry if I'm being rude but what do you want. Is there a reason for you to come into my house and invade my room.”

 

“Well.” Jaehwa tapped her chin, “I really didn't feel like staying home today since I knew Jimin was coming over. So then I remembered you didn't text me and thought I'd come over to check if you were alive. But then I had this idea that we should hang out and get to know each other more.”

 

“Why.”

 

Jaehwa was taken aback, “I'm sorry did you just ask why?” Jaehwa laughed, “I've never met a guy that's asked why I wanted to hang out with them. You're definitely something.”

 

Jeongguk's body stiffened, he could hear his heart beating again, “A-Are you hungry. I think breakfast should be ready by now.”

 

At the table, all eyes were glued onto the girl eating elegantly. Jaehwa brought her eyes up, looking at them all and smiling, “Is something wrong Mr and Mrs. Jeon.”

 

“Are you Jeongguk's girlfriend?” Jeongguk's mother asked straightforwardly.

 

“Umma!” Jeongguk shot his eyes at his mother who only glared at him.

 

Jaehwa giggled, “He's a very sweet boy and cunning as well but we're just friends.”

 

Jeongguk's jaw dropped at the different attitude of this girl. In his bedroom she seemed more fierce and blunt but in front of his parents she was an innocent princess. Exiting the house together, Jeongguk could only think of the breakfast they had had.

 

“So what was that?”

 

Jaehwa kept her eyes forward, “What was what?”

 

Jeongguk scoffed, “You acting like a princess in front of my parents but different in front of me.”

 

Jaehwa shrugged, “I have my manners Jeongguk. In front of parents you should always act your best and in front of people your age, act how you want. Speaking of age, how old are you?”

 

“Fifteen turning sixteen in September.”

 

“Bummer.”

 

“What.”

 

Jaehwa pouted, “My birthday's in December. So I'll be sixteen in December.”

 

Jeongguk walked next to her confused, “Why is that a bummer?”

 

“I wanted to be older so I could do this.” Jaehwa pinched his cheek and used a voice as if she was talking to a child, “You're so cute.”

 

Jaehwa let go and continued walking. Jeongguk stood, eyes widened, and cheeks turning red. He could definitely hear his heartbeat now. When he turned his head, Jaehwa tilted her head at him and smiled while laughing.

 

“What are you doing. Let's go.”