Twelve

The Red Umbrella

Jaehwa stomped into her home with Taehyung trailing behind. Inside, their parents sat on the couch watching television. Once Taehyung closed the front door and locked it, Jaehwa burst., “I can't believe you would take his side over mine!”

 

“Well Jin's story sounds much more better than yours. He apologized Jaehwa. At least forgive him. All he did was reject you nicely and you're acting as if he committed a crime.”

 

“Forgiveness shouldn't be handed out so carelessly okay. I hate him. I will always hate him. Even if he saved my life, I will hate him.”

 

“Do you know what your doing to him. He's in so pain because of you. Yesterday, I saw him crying over you.”

 

Jaehwa stood unconvinced, “He's faking it! He frickin went to acting school! He knows how to cry on cue, he knows how to sound convincing, he knows how to act like that evil character in every movie. He's playing you Taehyung, How can you not see that. I bet the whole world could see that. If this was a movie, everyone would hate you because you fell under his act so quickly. Taehyung, you're the character that everyone calls stupid.”

 

“And do you know what character you are. You are that snobby bratty girl that everyone just wants to kill. You always get your way, you always get what you want, you're always controlling everybody. You can't even go on one date with Jimin.”

 

Jaehwa laughed, “So you want to bring Jimin into this. Well I'm sorry Taehyung, I didn't know I was suppose to go out with every one of your stupid friends. Did you want me to go out with Jin or Jimin?”

 

“I'll tell you who not to date. Jeongguk. He doesn't even like you anyways. He told me straight up. I'm not lying either.”

 

Taehyung walked past Jaehwa, indicating he was finished with the conversation. Jaehwa on the other hand clenched her fist, and gritted her teeth, “Is it fun.” Taehyung paused for a moment, listening to his sister's shaky voice. Jaehwa laughed loudly even though tears spilled, “I guess it would be fun right. It would be so pleasing to break someone's whole world and watch them shatter to pieces.”

 

After being silent, their parents rose from their spots. Blood boiled in their mother's veins, “Both of you! To your rooms, now!”

 

Jaehwa faced Taehyung, “I hope you're having fun, making your own sister cry and all.”

 

Jimin took a bite of the cold pizza while playing with Jeongguk's game station, “This is so cool. My parents won't even let me play games in the house.”

 

Jeongguk looked at Jimin with an annoyed expression, “You've been here for over two hours. Shouldn't you be going home or are you planning on staying here forever.”

 

Jimin gave an innocent smile to Jeongguk, “I seriously don't see what Jaehwa sees in you. She's not into guys like you.”

 

“Like me?”

 

“Yeah. You know, one of those guys that stays home and plays video games all the time. I can tell just by going through this whole place. You seem kind of weird.”

 

Jeongguk nodded slowly, “I get that a lot.”

 

“She's gonna be my wife someday and I'm going to treat like she's always wanted to be treated. Like a person.” Jimin smiled to himself, “But for now, I just want her to be happy. Even if it's with you.” Jimin stood up, “Protect her for now, until she needs me.”

 

Jeongguk watched him leave coolly. He didn't know if Jimin had did it just to look cool or if he really meant it. For the rest of the night, Jeongguk expected a call or at least a text from Jaehwa. He checked his phone at least a hundred times, he checked his sound volume, and even called her as well as texted a hundred times. Jeongguk gave the times where he was sent straight to voice mail.

 

Jaehwa grabbed the phone on her desk, opening her window, and tossed it into the front yard. Finally regretting the decision of throwing out her phone, Jaehwa headed out the front door in search for it. Jaehwa then scowled at the smiling face looking directly at her from the gates of her home.

 

“What are you doing creepily standing in front of the gate.”

 

Jimin grinned, holding the gate bars, “Are you done crying.”

 

“Aish.” Jaehwa covered her eyes with her hand, “Just go away. It's the middle of the night.”

 

“Well, what are you doing out in the middle of the night?”

 

“Hoping I get kidnapped Jimin. What else would I be doing.” Jaehwa sighed when she knew he wasn't budging, “I threw my phone out the window and now I'm looking for it.”

 

Jimin jumped, “Let me help!”

 

“No.”

 

“Okay, then at least let me stay and talk to you until you find it.”

 

“No.”

 

“Doesn't matter, I'm doing it anyways.”

 

Jaehwa continued the search for her phone while listening to Jimin ramble about nonsense she didn't care one bit about. After ten minutes, Jaehwa found her phone behind a bush. She sighed in relief, knowing she wouldn't have to listen to Jimin's voice anymore. Just as she was about to head inside, a question escaped Jimin's mouth.

 

“Is there really no future for us? Do you really see nothing?”

 

Jaehwa smiled to him, “When I see us together, I see happiness. Pure happiness in fact. I see us building a family together and being the perfect family that everyone just wishes they could be. I see us loving each other so much.”

 

“Then why do you keep on rejecting me. I can give you all that.”

 

With a hand on the door, Jaehwa gave a bitter smile to him, “I....I don't think I'm fit for happiness. I'm sorry. Goodnight Jimin.”