Six.

The Red Umbrella

From head to toe, Jeongguk only noticed how dressy she was. Covered in make up and flashy clothing, he wondered how she looked without any of it. Walking behind her, Jeongguk felt as if she had forgotten all about him. Jaehwa finally stopped, turning around to face him.

 

“Yah. Do I have a disease or something. Why are you walking so far away from me?” Jaehwa rolled her eyes at Jeongguk who stood still in his spot. Jaehwa stepped her way to his side, linking her arm with his. Upon seeing his surprised expression, Jaehwa blinked innocently to him, “What.”

 

Jeongguk shook the expression off, looking straight forward, “Nothing. It's nothing.”

 

Jaehwa shook his arm, “Why so stiff. Loosen up a bit. Talk more. Aren't you comfortable with me.”

 

Jeongguk gave an awkward laugh, “We just met so...it's kind of weird.”

 

“Weird?” Jaehwa pursed her lips, “I never thought of it as weird. I thought of it as...a friendship.” Jaehwa tugged his arm, “Let's go.” Jeongguk stood still, making Jaehwa step back to his side. She gave a confused look towards him, “What.”

 

“Where are you taking me?”

 

Jaehwa shrugged, “Wherever the road takes us.”

 

“What.”

 

“What I mean is. Wherever we stumble too.” Jaehwa smiled, “I've always wanted to just walk around and see what I can find but I've never really had anyone to accompany me. So let's go.”

 

The two began walking, arms linked as Jaehwa talked. In time, Jeongguk became more comfortable with her. He talked more freely than before when he was silent. Jaehwa enjoyed his company, she found him laughable and cute like a puppy.

 

“So why do you carry around that umbrella?” Jeongguk's eyes moved to the top of the umbrella that was blocking the sun.

 

Jaehwa smiled, “It was a gift from my grandmother. On her death bed, she gave me this and said it was good luck. Because she said she had found her true love in China. The color red equals good fortune and happiness. That's what my grandmother got from him, luck and happiness. When she was leaving to comeback to Korea, he gave her this umbrella as a gift in hopes they would meet again. And they did, years later when they were both all ready married. But grandmother said it was still good luck since they had met again. She hopes that with this umbrella, I'll marry my true love instead of marrying someone else like she did.”

 

Jeongguk noticed how much more pure she looked and how sincere she looked, “Has it brought you luck yet.”

 

He saw the smile she had turn into a more mocking smile, “As if.”

 

Jaehwa sat on the bench, the umbrella closed and sitting next to her. She trailed her heels on the ground boredly as she waited for Jeongguk. She saw him walk over and sit down with a coke in his hand. Jaehwa looked at it as if disgusted.

 

“How can you drink that.”

 

Jeongguk held the can in his hand and stared at her in disbelief, “Coke? Everybody drinks it. How can you not like it.”

 

“Coke is bad for you. I prefer water over coke.” Jaehwa decided to change the topic quickly, “So are you an only child?”

 

Jeongguk shook his head, “I have an older brother but he's living on his own right now. You?”

 

“I have an older brother and my parents. That's basically it.” Jaehwa opened only to be cut off by her phone ringing. Looking at the name shown, Jaehwa answered in an annoyed tone, “What.”

 

“Kim Jaehwa! Are you trying to embarrass the family! We have big guest coming over and you decide to pull a disappearing trick!” Jaehwa's mother shouted over the phone, “You better come home quick or you're gonna be punished.”

 

Jaehwa scoffed, “Punished? I'll take the punishment.”

 

“Kim Jaehwa! You better come now!”

 

With that the call ended. Jaehwa stood up, “Sorry. It looks like there's an emergency at home.” Jaehwa turned to leave but faced Jeongguk again with a hand on her hip, “I'm still waiting for that text. Don't make me come after you again.”

 

Jeongguk smiled and nodded, “I got it.”