Eight.

The Red Umbrella

Families gathered in the Kim's home. Chatter filled the home while Jaehwa stood in the bathroom with her cousin. The only girl that Jaehwa could stand. Their laughter echoed the bathroom as they all applied their make up and fixed their dresses.

 

“So how do you feel about your umma getting married again?” Jaehwa asked while parting her hair in different ways, “Isn't it awkward Minah?”

 

Minah shrugged, “I should just be glad she hasn't dumped me yet. I'm from her first marriage but she still keeps me around. I don't even know where my appa is. Anyways, I heard you got a date and apparently you love Jimin.”

 

“He's still spreading that one around. I told him it was a joke. Kid never believes me.”

 

Minah laughed, “That kid is two years older than you. So who's this mystery date.”

 

Jaehwa shrugged, “A friend. I met a week ago I think. You'll see him at the party. I think you'll like him.”

 

Minah glanced at Jaehwa, “What. You're not interested in him.”

 

Jaehwa looked at Minah for a second, “Not my type. Sure he's funny, cute, and playful but I kind of have someone else in mind. And he's just a friend. Nothing more.”

 

“Wait do you like Jimin.”

 

“Again, every time someone asks me that. Never in a million years, even if we were the last people on Earth. Not even if it would save the world. That guy's an idiot and will forever be an idiot. I feel so bad for his future wife and kids.”

 

Minah mumbled to herself, “Feel bad now until it turns out to be you.”

 

“What?”

 

Minah smiled, “Nothing. So let me get this straight. You're bringing a friend as a date but you like someone else. Why didn't you bring that person as your date. You're just leading your friend on.”

 

“The person I like.” Jaehwa stared at her reflection, “He's a real jerk.”

 

Jeongguk walked out of his home, closing the gate door behind him. When he turned around, he froze at the sight of Jaehwa. The strapless navy blue dress wrapped around her curves nicely and her wavy hair hung down.

 

Jaehwa approached Jeongguk, placing her hands on his shoulders, “You look hot. I almost wanted to date you. Let's go.”

 

The ballroom was decorated in complete white once they stepped in. Jaehwa's arm linked with Jeongguk as she placed on her best smile. Jeongguk looked around at the non-familiar faces and he started to feel anxious inside.

 

Jaehwa could feel him getting nervous, still smiling, Jaehwa squeezed his arm, “Relax. We're only staying for an hour then leaving. There's nothing to be worried about. If anyone asks, you are here as my date. Don't get personal with anybody unless I approve.”

 

“You make it sound like we're on a mission.” Jeongguk joked only to receive a glare from Jaehwa.

 

“Let's just find our seats before anything bad happens. I heard the ceremony didn't do well. Thank goodness I decided to skip it.” Jaehwa pulled Jeongguk to a table placed a bit far out.

 

Jeongguk noticed a few eyes followed them as they took their seats. On the table were placed name tags. One saying Jaehwa with a plus one sign and the other two name tags labeled Minah and Namjoon. In the middle of the table sat a vase of white roses with a bottle of champagne.

 

“Hey!” Minah approached Jaehwa and Jeongguk with a wide smile.

 

Jeongguk stared for a few moments. The innocent and cute looking Minah stood in front of him. Jaehwa watched as he sat stunned by Minah's looks. She scoffed and kicked him hard enough for him to jerk in pain. Minah smiled and laughed at Jaehwa's action.

 

Minah held out a hand to Jeongguk, “Hi. I'm Minah. Daughter of the woman getting married and Jaehwa's cousin.”

 

Jeongguk lightly grabbed the soft hand and gave a nervous smile, “I'm Jeongguk. Jaehwa's date.” Jeongguk turned his head to where Jaehwa was suppose to be sitting only to see she had disappeared, “Where did she go?”

 

Minah took the seat in front of Jeongguk, “It's all right. I'll keep you company. She probably went to the bathroom to fix her hair or something. That's how Jaehwa is.”

 

Jaehwa pushed and shoved through the people until she came down to long hallway. She breathed heavily while moving her hair out of her face. Out of frustration, Jaehwa punched the cement wall and heard a light chuckle.

 

“I thought you would have grown out of that by now.”

 

Jaehwa stood still facing the wall, dropping her hand to her side, “So it really is you. How come you never told me you were back.”

 

“Jaehwa I got back like just a week ago. I told V to tell you.”

 

“I never got the message.”

 

“It's been a long time since I've seen you. You've changed a lot.”

 

Jaehwa interrupted him, “How come you never contacted me when you were away.”

 

“I was busy.”

 

“But you weren't busy to call Taehyung.”

 

“Look I know you're mad but...”

 

“Mad?! I'm not mad Jin!” Jaehwa faced him, her eyes staring directly into his, “I'm hurt. You hurt me.”