Seven.

The Red Umbrella

Footsteps. Jeongguk shuffled in his bed, thinking he was dreaming. That was until a flick made contact with his forehead and a fist punched down on his stomach. Jeongguk screamed and groaned before propping himself up. His eye sight hadn't adjusted yet but he knew it was a woman that was abusing him this early in the morning.

 

“Umma! Why are you doing this to me!”

 

“Umma?” Jaehwa smacked his head, “Do I look like your umma.” Jaehwa smacked his head again, “Do you want to die. I clearly stated yesterday for you to text me but you know what happened. There was none. Are you trying to provoke me Jeon Jeongguk?”

 

“Jaehwa? Is everything all right in there?” Jeongguk's mother knocked on the door.

 

Sweetly and innocent Jaehwa answered, “Yes. Everything's all right. Jeongguk and I will be heading out in a bit.”

 

“Okay, be careful.”

 

“Okay....” Jaehwa glared at Jeongguk, raising a hand to have him flinch, “Hurry up.” Jaehwa exited the room, leaving the door open. Jeongguk opened his mouth to inform her to close the door only to hear her say, “No! I'm not closing the door! Why do you even have it closed anyways!”

 

Sitting in his bed, Jeongguk smiled to himself. Even though the pain in his stomach was aching, he managed to laugh it off. Out the door, Jaehwa and Jeongguk walked the same way they did the day before. Jaehwa noticed Jeongguk's hand covering his stomach as he winced while walking.

 

“Sit.” Jaehwa commanded him when they had arrived at the spot they were last at. Jaehwa held the umbrella over their heads to escape from the glowing sun, “Sorry.”

 

“What?”

 

“Yah. I'm not saying it again.”

 

Jeongguk chuckled at how childish she acted, “It's nothing. But you're really strong. Do you take self defense classes or something. You've got a fist like a rock.”

 

Jaehwa laughed at his remark, “No. When I was little, whenever I got mad. I'd punch the wall.” Jeongguk's eyes widened but Jaehwa continued, “I admit, I have anger problems. Especially with my family. They just get me pissed off so quickly. But eventually I became stronger and broke a hole in my room. The hole is still there, I just didn't feel like telling anyone.”

 

“Why?”

 

Jaehwa shrugged, “Because....I'm too lazy.”

 

Jeongguk nodded, “I used to do that too except I usually ended up crying and being called stupid by my umma. My dad would just laugh at me and my brother make fun of me.”

 

Jaehwa burst out laughing, she buried her laughing face in her hand and all Jeongguk could do was stare. He started to wonder why a beautiful girl was hanging out with a guy like him. The pain in his stomach finally ended and Jaehwa had brought him inside a small cafe that they had stumbled upon.

 

Looking through the menu, Jeongguk shuffled in his seat before bringing his eyes up to her, “So this Saturday, my parents would really like for you to come over and have dinner with us.” Jaehwa shot her eyes up which brought pressure into him, “It's just a stupid thing they've been begging me for. Ever since they met you, they just think you're perfect.”

 

Jaehwa brought her eyes down to the menu again, “I'm sorry. I'm going to have to decline. I have to go to my aunt's third wedding. Yep, that old woman is getting married another time. I swear the first two were fine but a third one, she's gone crazy. Anyways.” Jaehwa smiled to Jeongguk as she set the menu down, “I'd love to have dinner with your family sometime.”

 

“Oh it's okay. I'm pretty sure another time would be fine for them.”

 

“Be my date.”

 

The sudden words that came out of froze Jeongguk completely. Inside he was happy, jumpy, but then panic struck him. He didn't know what to answer. Yes. No. Maybe. They were running around in his mind. Jaehwa stared at him until he had come back to his senses.

 

“W-What.”

 

“Be my date. I definitely can't go to my stupid aunt's wedding alone. Last time at her wedding, she tried setting me up with a thirty year old man she had met on the street and I'm pretty sure that's the guy she's marrying this time. Her second wedding was a disaster.” Jaehwa noticed she was started to drift off from the question she was asking, “You should be my date. And this would be a great way for you to meet my parents.”

 

“Parents?”

 

Jaehwa nodded, “But they're kind of a pain. Just some things you should tell them about yourself. You're a straight A student and looking to be a doctor. That way so they don't hate your guts.”

 

Jeongguk started laughing, leaving Jaehwa in a confused state. After a few seconds he stopped to meet her gaze, “I....uh...This is moving too fast. We barely know each other and you're just randomly asking me to be your date for a wedding.”

 

Jaehwa nodded, “And this is a great way for us to bond more.”

 

Jeongguk shook his head, “I'm starting to feel like you're using me.”

 

Jaehwa rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, “Fine. What will it take for you to understand that I'm not using you. I will do anything.”

 

Anything. The word that stuck in his head for the time that they were sitting in the cafe. Once they exited, Jeongguk grabbed Jaehwa's arm.

 

“You said anything right.” Jaehwa nodded at his words, “That guy, Jimin. Call him, put him on speaker, and say that you love him.”

 

Jaehwa scoffed, “I'm not doing that. I'd rather jump off a bridge with an anchor tied to my ankle.”

 

Jeongguk nodded, “Okay then. I guess someone is going to have to be dancing with a thirty year old at their aunt's wedding.”

 

Acting like a child, Jaehwa pouted, started whining about how unfair it was but started doing it anyway. As the cell phone rang, Jaehwa suggest he was with some floozie but Jeongguk thought otherwise. Then the phone stopped ringing.

 

“Hello.”

 

Jaehwa didn't speak for a while. She was tongue twisted and did not want Jimin to think of this as an opportunity.

 

“Jaehwa I have caller id. Do you think I wouldn't recognize the name on my phone.”

 

The thing that slipped sounded more casual than others would have thought, “Actually what do you have my name down as.”

 

“Beautiful bride.”

 

Jaehwa laughed, “No seriously.”

 

“Fine. I have you down as V's little sister.”

 

“V's little sister? That's such a lame name. At least I have you down as dumb idiot which I'm thinking of changing to Taehyung's erted friend.” Jeongguk nudged Jaehwa in the side and she sent him a glare, “I actually have something to say to you and it's really quick and I love you. Bye!”

 

Standing in front of his home, Jeongguk waved to Jaehwa, “I guess I'll see you on Saturday.”

 

Jaehwa turned, walking backwards, “I'll see you on Saturday then.”