One.

The Red Umbrella

“Jeongguk.”

 

His eyes closed tighter as he rolled over on the bed, trying to avoid the sunlight coming from the window. One of his legs hanging out of the blanket while pulling it up, hugging them like they were his stuffed animals. His mother stared in annoyance at the sight of her son. At how his hair was out of place completely, at how he only went to bed in undergarments exposing his upper body.

 

His clothing laid all over the floor and his desk filled with papers and books of useless things. His mother noticed the television in his room was still playing at the spot he left his game and she noticed the laptop lying just right on the ground next to the bed.

 

“Yah!” She hit his stomach hard so he jerked up quickly, “Do you know what time it is?!”

 

Jeongguk's eyes squinted from the brightness as he wiped his mouth in case of drools, “Umma.” He said groggily, trying to judge what the time may be. He only rubbed his eyes while saying, “Nine?”

 

Her hand smacked the back of his head, “It's one! One in the afternoon! Did you stay up all night playing games! What time did you go to sleep!” Without letting him answer, she exited his room leaving his door wide open while muttering about who she had raised.

 

“Can you at least close the door!” He shouted back at his mother who was all ready out of hearing.

 

Scratching the back of his head, Jeongguk gathered his sweatpants and a plain black v-neck t-shirt. Jumping in the shower, he became more awake as the hot water poured down his face. Letting his hair air dry, Jeongguk walked his way to the kitchen, passing his father and mother in the living room.

 

“Don't you have somewhere to go?”

 

Jeongguk heard his father's voice. He stared into the fridge, contemplating whether he did or not until he came to a conclusion of not, “No.”

 

“Don't you want to leave the house?”

 

Microwaving the pancakes he had found in the fridge, he replied, “I like staying home. It's quiet.”

 

Again his father spoke, “It's summer break for you. Why don't you go walk outside for a while?”

 

Taking a bite of the freshly microwaved pancakes and with a full mouth Jeongguk answered, “It's gonna rain soon.”

 

“How did we raise a lazy son.”

 

Jeongguk stopped his chewing, sinking his mother's remark before continuing to eat, acting as if it didn't matter. Placing the newly washed dish in the rack, Jeongguk quietly and slyly tried passing his parents sight in order to get out of doing any chores they ask.

 

“Jeongguk, get dressed right now.”

 

Jeongguk froze, muttering a curse word before properly walking to his room. He could only groan to himself as he put on jeans, leaving the t-shirt he had on. He stuffed his cell phone as well as his headphones with them in his pocket. Jeongguk exited his room to see his mother searching her purse before pulling out bills.

 

“Come here.” She gestured to him and he obeyed.

 

Placing the bills in his hand, Jeongguk could only stand there with a confused expression as to why his mother would give him money out of the blue, “What is this for?”

 

She patted his shoulder while pulling him to the door, “Listen, we're tired of you staying home all day. You're fifteen years old, do something productive with your life.” Shoving the umbrella in his hand, his mother rushed him out the door, “Don't come back until a few hours and don't stay out too long. Have fun with your self time.”