“To die would be an awfully big adventure”

A Beauty and a Wolf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Like promised they didn’t sleep that night. They stayed in each other’s arms without talking or even glancing at one another. The silence was somehow the best medicine right now, not exactly healing the already existent wounds do to the goodbye they had to soon say. They had already too many memories that would haunt them forever, hurting them by remembering how they could never be together again and filling them with the regards for a past life that could never be lived again.

Funny, Soonkyu thought deep about it – like any life lived it could not be lived again. That only meant she was technically dead from the moment she stepped in her world again.

Her daddy, her brothers, her friends and co-workers were all – at the best chance – worried sick about her whereabouts. She could even imagine her father crying after no news had been delivered after so many days.

But she would make it better soon – her world would regain its sanity soon. Well, not exactly her world – that was lost forever – but the many worlds she was part of like her father’s and brothers’ for instance.

Soonkyu would welcome it all just to make them happy again but she would never be herself again since her other half would never be with her again.

            “Suho…” As she spoke she coughed a little but didn’t take it to heart – she hadn’t spoken in a while so it was only natural. However when she tried again she started to cough uncontrollably causing her body to shake violently. Suho stood from below her taking her off his chest to examine her closely.

            “Soonkyu, what are you feeling?” The girl had covered with one of her hands while she kept coughing. When Soonkyu retracted her hand she noticed the red liquid there.

She met eyes with Suho and saw his wide and frightened.

            He passed her the long dress she had dressed previously and told her to dress it.

            “I’ll be right back, Soonkyu-ah.” That was the last thing she heard before he put his weird piece of clothing around the waist and walked off closing the door behind him.

Soonkyu’s heart tightened for a second but she endure it and dressed herself quickly waiting Suho’s return.

***

            The time needed for Soonkyu to get worse was exactly the same Suho took by going outside to call his Father and the girls. When they stepped inside the room Soonkyu was burning up again, breathing even heavier than the previous time and she kept spitting out blood – her hands and dress were full of it.

Victoria immediately took her in her arms and took her to the bathroom. Amber, Luna and Sulli prepared the water with the special herbs and liquids Krystal helped Victoria undressing her.

The second Soonkyu’s body touched the water she fell asleep, causing Suho’s Father and Victoria both exchange a fearful look as she kept cleansing Soonkyu’s forehead and arms, absently.

            “Papa, is she going to be okay?” His father looked away as he sat himself on a chair. “How long can she last…?” Suho’s voice was smaller and cracked a bit. Papa Soo Man got up and hugged his crying son who stared at the ground as if his life depended of it.

            “When will Wol Kwang take her?”

            “In a few hours; as soon the moon hit its highest point.” Soo Man held him tightly and that was all he needed for an answer.

Suho cries decreased to sobs when he heard Amber talking to Soonkyu in the bathroom.

***

            Later in the early afternoon Soonkyu was outside taking some fresh air. She was still weak but she insisted and there was nothing Suho wouldn’t do for her right now.

The boys were all there forming a big circle as she lied down on Suho’s chest laughing silently at their conversation – also the wolves were trying to pull off the façade that everything was just fine but inside each one of them was hurting.

As they listened ‘The Little Mermaids’ story – the real version from the Grimm Brothers – they all felt like crying. Why did she remember to tell exactly that one? The ending was too sad.

            “Ya, do you want to make us cry or something?” Chen accused trying to hold his tears. “That story is too sad, Soonkyu-ah.”

            “I agree, but it’s my favourite.” She whispered but of course they all could hear perfectly.

            “Liar.” Suho suddenly said making her look at him with questionable eyes. “All your favourite stories include Peter Pan.” He touched her nose with the tip of his finger and she laughed weakly.

By now everyone could notice the difference in her breathing – it was not only heavier but it also took her longer to breathe. It was more difficult for her to do it now, they could see and so did Suho who took her in his arms trying not to balance too much as he made his way to his house.

            “Just a few more hours and you’ll be okay. Just be strong Soonkyu, please.” Suho pleaded as he laid her on his bed. He kissed the top of her forehead as she nodded at his request.

He sat on the floor letting his chin rest on the edge of the bed as he passed his thumb on her cheek over and over again. Soonkyu stared at him meaningfully but Suho pretended he didn’t notice – Suho didn’t want that moment to come, the moment she would tell him she loved him and then she would close her eyes and he would never see the glow in them again.

For that reason he prevented her to say the words whenever she tried. He knew it and she also did so Suho needed nothing more than that.

            Her eyes gave up after Soonkyu pouted over the lost battle and she sighed letting her body relax to the maximum. Suho kept looking at her sleeping face for a long while when he finally let some words slip from his mouth – it wasn’t ‘I love you’ but it had the same meaning.

            “I’ll be th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter