Wolf

A Beauty and a Wolf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*to set the mood: Wolf

 

            Lee Soonkyu got off work that night pretty late – later than ever before – and she found herself shivering. The atmosphere was indeed cold, so cold Soonkyu’s breathe was white and she was rubbing her hands against each other.

She took her phone out and checked on the time – it was midnight sharp. There were no more buses in that part of town at such late hour and to fetch a cab Soonkyu would have to cross the street she feared the most.

As she was debating whether to catch a taxi or just freeze to death right there a car approached and its lights hit her right in the face.

            “Agassi what are you doing there all by yourself?” Soonkyu laughed heartedly upon hearing the man’s voice.

            “I’m trying to avoid erts like you!” She walked to the SUV with a big smile on her lips. Inside the car she didn’t waste time and hugged her father tightly. “Mr. Lee Soo Man, what are you doing here?”

            “I saw what time it was my daughter, I was worried so your brother lent me his car and I came here to see if anything happened.”

            “Oh, today was tiring Appa. They didn’t let me go for a second.”

            “Everyone wants a piece of my daughter, I see.” Soonkyu laughed as she took off her shoes and moved her ankles in circles.

Damn heels...

            “Maybe I should start playing bodyguard and scare them away?”

            “Ani, Appa! Do you want me to be single forever?” Her father laughed silently and kept driving with his daughter almost asleep against his shoulder. “You can’t do anything like that; I have to find my man. He is there somewhere, I know it. If you keep acting like a scary old man following me around and scaring every male in South Korea how can I find him?” Lee Soo Man laughed again and patted his daughter’s head.

In a very low and almost non-perceptive whisper Lee Soo Man said – “for some reason I don’t think the right man for you is from this world...”

 

***

            Once at home Soonkyu was going crazy – she wanted her bed madly. She was almost running upstairs when a pile of pages spread on top of their table caught her attention; her father was working on something new.

Curiosity got the best of her and she sat down grabbing the first page she landed hand on. It said « the Alliance of the Moon is such an old legend and has so many followers it’s itself scary. For matter of fact many people said the legend wasn’t about gods from this dimension but from a parallel dimension. However these gods were responsible for many other legends from our world. »

            “Weren’t you tired?”

            “Oh come on Appa, I’m an astonishing anthropologist. I can’t let things like this go.” His father served her some hot chocolate and sat beside her. As she read another page she sipped a little bit of the drink. “Appa, this Alliance of the Moon... what are they? I never heard anything about it...”

            “It’s a myth about werewolves, actually.” His father looked for another page and passed it to her. She listened to her father as she read the words on the page only to discover her father was quoting the page word by word. “The legend tells us about a tribe living in a far away world called Neverland. There were Gods who protected the land and to whom the humans prayed whenever they felt troubled.” Soonkyu listened more to what her father was saying than to what she was reading. His words seemed to echo in the back of her mind as if she was listening to the story for the umpteenth time. “There was one Goddess, Wol Kwang who detained all powers over the night and its creatures and she happened to fell for one of the humans. She knew even before she started to care about him that his heart was already taken and that he loved the person immensely even though he had not saw her ever before.  Even so Wol Kwang gave her best to try and change his heart but he refused her. Mad as she was she decided to curse every single person on the island to turn into a wolf, a creature of the night. That way she controlled not his heart but at least his actions and the naive Goddess convinced herself that being by his side would cause him a change of heart.” This tremendous will to cut that goddess’ head off ran through Soonkyu’s body electrifying every single part of it.

            “Some believers say that the day the girl of the wolf’s dreams appears is when the curse will begin to reach its end.” Soonkyu’s dad heard a little sniff and faced his daughter. “Lee Soonkyu why are you crying?” Her father was panicking while he saw tear by tear stream down her cheeks.

            “I don’t know, I just feel so useless all of the sudden! And this Wol Kwang! Is she dumb? How can she force someone to love her?” Tears kept falling and now Soonkyu was feeling enraged with herself because she wasn’t able to stop her own tears and those worked-up feelings.

            “You should get some rest daughter, you’re too tired.” Lee Soo man took his daughter upstairs and once in her room she didn’t even bothered to undress – she went to bed fully clothed and with a heavy heart.

Surprisingly she fell asleep rather quickly.

            As her mind and body became lighter Soonkyu started to travel – she knew that path by heart.

As if she was a ghost she saw her own image floating through her window and she followed suit. Like always her spirit floated till it reached the street Soonkyu feared the most and just after glancing one last time to Soonkyu the spirit ran into the forest and disappeared. Just then everything spun around her and she fell to her knees hugging her head.

Warmth made her look to her side; a gigantic, white wolf was sleeping next to her warming her entire self.

Nothing was new to her – she had this same dream ever since she remembered. Sometimes there were some variations in the way the wolf would appear. And also when Soonkyu was little she used to dream they would play around the dark spots of the fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter