Chapter 4 - Save him

Moirai (STOPPED)

-TEN YEARS FLASHFORWARD-

I was sitting at the bench in the park, waiting for the others to come. High schoolers were coming out of school, reminding me of my own high school days. Suddenly, I hear a familiar voice behind me.

"Kyungsoo!"

It was Suho. He was carrying a bouquet of flowers. 

"Suho! You came. Unfortunately, Baek and Chanyeol aren't here yet." I tell him.

"I know. They never keep their promises when it comes to time. They're adults now, yet they still act like children!"

"Haha, that's true. Anyways, what did you bring for Kai?" I asked

"I brought flowers, hehe."

"Uh, I didn't know he liked flowers?"

"I know! It's weird. Don't ask. Welp, I guess we're gonna have to wait for those hoodlums to come" he said as he sat down on the bench with me. "Are those high schoolers?"

"Mhm. It's nostalgic, isn't it?"

"Sure is. Man, I can't believe we're all 26-27 years old now. I wish I could relive high school again."

"Yep. Me too."

-FLASHFORWARD END-

It was lunchtime at school and everyone sat at the lunch table. I received a new text:

"Nice to speak to you again Kyungsoo,

I hope you're enjoying high school right now. I know there are much more joyous things that are awaiting you. Please treasure your friends and your own happiness well. I really don't want you to carry a lifetime of regrets like I did. I know I walked away with many, many regrets from high school. Now, I think it's time to tell you the most important reason why I'm sending you these text messages. 

In ten years, Kai will no longer be with us. 

So please, watch Kai closely. Take care of him well. Don't lose something so precious, Kyungsoo."

What does the 26 year old Kyungsoo mean by "Kai won't be with us"? Is he moving somewhere far away? Did he...nevermind. I don't wanna think about it. These thoughts clustered in my mind as I looked at Kai across the lunch table. I continue reading the text:

"On April 18, 

-Kai considers joining the performing arts club

-His mother doesn't make him lunch, so he has to go buy one everyday

-You said that you'll make him one and bring it in the next day.

-You never did it though.

-I really regret not making him a lunch"

"No lunch today again Kai?" Suho asked him.

"Nahh. My mom doesn't make me lunch, so I have to go buy one everyday" he says. Goddammit the text was right again. 

"Dang that . By the way, you haven't joined any school clubs yet, right?"

"Nope, not as of now."

"Okay, what do you like to do then Kai?" Suho asked.

"Uh...I like to dance.." Kai said shyly. 

"Wahh really? That's great then! You can join the performing arts club then! I'm in it." Suho tried to persuade him.

"Yeah, I wanna watch you dance man! Maybe you can teach me, hehe" Chanyeol joined. I actually want to watch him dance as well. But I don't think my heart will be able to handle it....

"Fine fine...I'll go check it out I guess.." Kai muttered.

"Yay! Since you considered in joining, lunch is on me today! But nothing to fancy, okay Kai?" Suho said as he stood up. Suddenly, a button fell out from his uniform jacket.

"Ughh not again. Am I getting fatter nowadays?" he sighed. 

"Uh Suho, I have home economics next. I can sew it up for you if you want." I tell him.

"Really? Thanks Kyungsoo!" he says as he hands his jacket and button to me. "Once you're done, you can come to me afterschool in the auditorium where the performing arts club will be. Kai will be there too!"

"Mmkay, gotcha" I say as we share smiles. I could see Kai chuckling at the corner of my eye. Hmm..

---------------------------------------------

Afterschool, I head to the auditorium to return Suho's jacket. I see Kai on stage, dancing to an RnB song. His moves were so strong, yet fluid. He looked very charismatic and serious as he danced. It's like he's expressing his emotions as he was dancing, and I was mesmerized by it. Kai spotted and then suddenly stopped, covering his face with his hand in embrassment. 

"Why'd you stop?! Your dancing is really skillful Kai" I tell him. 

"Nah, I still have a lot to learn haha. But I'm glad you liked it Kyungsoo." he said smiling at me. Aish! Why does his smile always make my chest hurt. 

"You're here Kyungsoo!" I hear Suho call out to me.

"Mhm! Here's your jacket." I said as I hand him his jacket and he thanked me. Kai saw us and laughed. 

"You're like a mother Kyungsoo!" he said to me as I blush in embarassment. 

"It's true. He's the umma of the group. He even makes his own lunches." Suho said.

"Really? You should make me a lunch then!" Kai says to me.

"Do you want one? I can make you one and give it to you tomorrow!" I said to him.

"I'm just joking Kyungsoo, haha." 

Just joking?...

--------------------------------------------------------

At home, I lay on my bed, reading today's text again.

"-You said that you'll make him one and bring it in the next day.

-You never did it though.

-I really regret not making him a lunch"

I really want to make him a lunch. But Kai was joking about it. Why would I make him a lunch when he was only kidding about it? But, his mother doesn't make him any. And my future self apparently regrets not making him a lunch. Ugh, what should I do?

------------------------------------------------------

The next day at school, I was sitting at my desk, with two lunchboxes in my bag. 

I can't believe I made him a lunch. 

Goddammit, I don't have enough confidence to actually give it to him. How about I just shove it to him and run away? Yes yes. I like that plan. 

By the time lunch came, I look next to me, seeing Kai stand up, going to buy his lunch. I was so nervous that I was practically trembling.

"U-uhm Kai!" I call out to him.

"Hm?"

"I-I...have your....I like your hair today Kai!" I stuttered.

"O-oh. Thanks? Anyways, I'm gonna go get lunch now. See ya." he said as he left the classroom.

Why Kyungsoo?! Why must you have social anxiety at this time?! I moaned and put my head down against the desk because of my stupidity. 

 

Afterschool, I head out the classroom, still depressed that I couldn't give it to him. Kai and Suho follows me out. 

"Hey, where are you going now Kyungsoo?" Suho asked me.

"Ahh, I'm just heading home. What about you guys? Performing arts club?" 

"Nahh, its cancelled today since the auditorium is being used by the choir kids. Let's all go home together then." Kai says to me.

"Uhh, I just remembered I had to do something for a teacher. You two head out first okay? See ya!" Suho said to us as he walked the other direction. 

"Hmm that's weird. I guess it'll only be the two of us. Let's go Kyungsoo." Kai says. Only us?! Walking home?! Together?! The thought of it already makes me nervous and my heart beat quickly. 

 

We walked home through a park together in silence. I honestly didn't know what to talk about. In today's text, all it said was:

"-Please help Kai whenever he looks sad or upset"

Suddenly, Kai spoke first.

"So Kyungsoo, besides cooking, what else do you like to do?" 

"Uhmm, I like helping my mom out at home I guess. Like cleaning and helping out in the garden. It may sound weird, but I really like looking and taking care of flowers" I say to him. 

"Haha! You're really like a mother Kyungsoo." he says to me.

"Okay, what about you Kai? What else do you like to do besides dancing?" I ask.

"That's the only thing I can do actually. Just dancing."

"So in those two weeks you were missing, you practiced dancing I assume?"

"...You can say that" he says. I noticed a sad smile on his face. 

"If you like dancing so much, why don't you actually join the performing arts club? You looked like you enjoyed it a lot." I told him. After a long pause, Kai sighed. 

"On the day I first arrived to school and we went out to go eat, my mom committed suicide." he confesses. My eyes widen. Kai continues his story. "So for those two weeks I was absent, I had to attend her funeral. Before her death, I promised that I wouldn't join any clubs at school" Kai had a very sad and upset look to him. 

I was suddenly reminded of the very first text I got:

"-Your friends with invite Kim Jongin to eat afterschool.

-I really wish we hadn't invited him though."

His mother...committed suicide while we went out to eat? Is that why future Kyungsoo regrets inviting him?...That..can't possibly be. My throat began to constrict.

"I'm so sorry Kai......." I said to him softly.

"Kyungsoo? What's wrong?!..." he said to me, noticing how upset I look. "I'm sorry I made you listen to some weird stuff from me. I won't mention it again.." he said as he pats my head lightly. 

I don't want to repeat another mistake again. I already failed in keeping my promise to my future self. My duty right now is to fix and erase those mistakes. I need to help Kai. I don't want to carry a lifetime of regret! 

"Kai! I have to tell you something." I say to him firmly. 

"Uhm okay.." he says to me. I open my bag and show a lunchbox to him.

"I made you a lunch! Sorry I didn't give it to you during lunchtime. But nonetheless, here!" I say as I hand it to him. I wonder how he'll react. 

"....Haha! I wondered if you would really make me one, but I'm really glad that you did." he said, laughing. "Thank you, Kyungsoo" 

I couldn't help but blush at his smile. 

"I'll make you another one tomorrow. And the day after that. Everyday, I'll make you a lunch Kai. Just leave it to me!" I tell him. 

"Thank you Kyungsoo. Really. You made me really happy." Kai said as he smiled even brighter. 

I hope I can cherish this smile forever. 

---------------------------------------------

At home, I receive another new text.

"Hello Kyungsoo. I hope you fixed most of your mistakes so far. Now, you might have been confused when I told you Kai won't be with us in ten years. 

Kai died in an accident when he turned 17 in the middle of winter.

Save Kai. Promise me you'll save him Kyungsoo. Saving Kai is your top priority right now.

Take care of Kai well, and save him."

Tears begin to form at my eyes. 

Save..Kai?