New Fear

Broken Apart, Then Healed Again

A/N: If people are speaking in Japanese the words will be in purple. And when people are speaking in Korean the words will be normal (black).

 

Annoying Author’s P.O.V.

 

The ambulance and fire truck pulled up to the scene in a rush. As the fire fighters were getting out of the engine, the old ware house collapsed. The paramedics rushed forward to what seemed to be the only survivor. They put her on the stretcher and loaded her into the truck and treated her as they waited for the firefighters to put out the fires in case of any other survivors. No other survivors were found and they rushed the girl to the hospital.

The nurses took the young girl to the emergency room. Before the surgery, they took a picture of the girl and then allowed her through to the surgery room.

A nurse headed to the files room and went to the computer. She searched up all the missing peoples in Japan. Once the results came up she advanced the search by directing it towards females. Then when the results came up again, she advanced it even more by directing it towards teenage females. There were only a few results, so it was not that hard to find the matching identity.

The injured girl looked half-Korean. The nurse looked through all the pictures and found only one girl that looked half-Korean. She clicked on the file and held up the newly taken picture to compare it with the one of the girl on the monitor. The two looked exactly the same, save for the injuries.

Once the nurse was sure the two girls were the same, she set the new picture down and looked at the personal information.

 

Name: Oh Ukemochi                          Hometown: Globe, Arizona, USA

Age: 16                                             

Birth date: January 19 1996

Family: MacPhearson Jacob (Father), Oh Eun Min (Mother), Izanagi [2] aliased as ‘A-Ren’ (Brother)

Nationality: Korean- American

Education: ABCDEFG High School in Japan

Date Missing: ABCDEFG 12, 3456

Phone if found: 123-456-7890

Last date seen: ABCDEFG 12, 3456 at ABCDEFG High School In Japan during a school shooting. Body not yet found.

 

 

The nurse, sure that this was the right person, dialed the number provided. It was 1:00 in the morning, but that didn’t matter now.

The phone was answered on the 5th ring. “Hello? Who is this?” came a woman’s voice on the other end.

“Ahh, yes! Hello, is this the mother of Oh Ukemochi?”

“Uh…. Honey I don’t know just let me see…. Sorry, that was my husband. But yes this is the mother of Oh Ukemochi. Who is this?”

“This is the ABCDEFG Hospital and we would like to tell you that your daughter has been found. If you would come in tomorrow later around noon we can fill you in on her condition and tell you when she could possibly be released that would be wonderful.”

“You found her! You found my daughter?!! I will come tomorrow at noon! Thank you so much! Goodbye now!”

 

 “Are you feeling better?” the doctor, who was currently checking up on her as she woke up, asked.

She just nodded slowly; the only sound heard in the room was the heart monitor on the side of the bed.

“How did you hurt yourself?” the doctor asked after a moment of lingering silence.

“I…” the girl urged the memory to come back, but she couldn’t. “I don’t…. I don’t remember.” She managed to croak.

The doctor looked at her skeptically up and down. “Well, I suppose you will remember soon enough. Do you want to see your family, Ukemochi? Or do you need something to eat? You have been asleep for quite some time.” Who was Ukemochi?

The girl shook her head and put her face in her palms. That’s when she noticed the bandage around her head.

“Ukemochi?”

“I… I… Who’s… Ukemochi?” she sighed. This was so confusing. Where was she from? What had even happened before she woke up here? Where was she? Was she in her hometown? Who was she? How could she not know her name? Who is this Ukemochi she was speaking of? All these questions built up in her mind. She didn’t know who she was.

“Then tell me this,” he paused and the young girl looked up looked up. “Do you know who you are? What is your name?”

“I don’t know who I am….”

“Do you remember anything?” the doctor sighed.

“Aron….” she paused and then felt extremely happy. She knew who Aron was!! She remembered something! “He’s a boy. That’s all I know, but it’s like I have met him before.”

The doctor looked very happy. He opened his mouth to say something, but a nurse came in. “Oh! You’re awake! Your family is here to see you! I’ll send them in!! You were missing for quite some time! We thought you dead after the shooting!”

The girl looked at the man, slightly confused. The nurse turned and motioned for someone to come. Soon after, a middle aged American man and Korean woman came in with a small boy who seemed to be about 14 – 15 years old.

“Ukemochi! I am so happy you are alive!!” the woman cried. Though she looked Korean, she did not sound as though she was from Korea, but more so like she was from Japan. The woman ran to the girl and the girl just looked at her confused.

The doctor turned to the nurse and the three who stood by the door. “She… I think she has long-term memory loss. She can’t remember anything! I have been asking questions, but the only thing she remembers is a boy called ‘Aron’”

The woman started crying and ran out of the room. The two boys soon followed. The nurse walked over and pulled a chair over to the bed and then sat down in it. “Ukemochi, I’m-” the nurse started, but the girl cut her off.

“Who’s Ukemochi?!”

The nurse and doctor looked at each other for a moment before the nurse grabbed the girl’s file and grabbed a pen.

“Hello? Are you deaf or something? Who’s Ukemochi?!”

The nurse sighed worriedly. “If you’re not Ukemochi, then who are you?”

The girl looked down, obviously confused. Who was she? Who was Ukemochi? Was she Ukemochi? “I don’t know…” the girl mumbled.

“We’re going to help you, don’t worry,” the doctor smiled. “I’m Dr. Honda and this is Dr. Kim from Korea. You’ve been in a school shooting. You seem to have fled the building during the attack because we found you a town away from your school.”

“How… How long have I been here? As in here at the hospital?”

“A week. You have been sleeping the entire time. We are glad you have finally woke up.” The nurse smiled.

The girl looked up in shock. “Was I hurt? Was I shot or anything? What happened??”

“It seems you ran from the building where the shooting was taking place and you ran until you came to a town. You were missing for two weeks after that. From the time you fled to the time we found you, you had a punctured lung, a few broken ribs, and your head was bleeding badly. Later, when we found you, you were in a fire. You have second degree burns on your arms. We have operated and you are healing up just fine.” The doctor said.

“So now, I’m just going to ask you a few questions to test your memory and then we’ll bring in some food.” The nurse stated.

“Ok…” the girl nodded.

“First question,” the nurse started as the doctor walked out to get some fresh fruit for the patient. “What is the name of your school?”

“I don’t know… I’m sorry…” the girl whispered. She was terrified. What if she couldn’t figure out who she was??

“No need to be sorry, sweetie,” the woman answered. “Second question; where is Quebec?”

“This is insane! I’m not Ukemochi!! I don’t know where Quebec is! I just want to be normal!” the girl started to cry.

The nurse sighed. “If you’re not Ukemochi, then who are you?”

“I don’t know!!”

“You need to calm down if we’re going to figure this out, honey. Shh, it’s okay.”

“I- I just want to be normal.”

“You are normal. You just hit your head during the fire. I know this is hard for you, Ukemochi. The memories will take a little while to come back because of the trauma to the brain. What do you remember? Do you remember anything?” the nurse questioned.

“I… I remember ‘Aron’”

“Really?! That’s good!”

“Why..? How is that ‘good’?”

“Your little brother is nicknamed ‘A-Ren’, so your thinking of him, but you is confusing the pronunciation. It happens sometimes don’t worry.” Right after the nurse said this, the doctor came in with some fresh fruit.

“Think you can eat?”

The girl just nodded. The doctor and nurse left the room to let her eat in peace.

 

 

[1] Ukemochi is the food goddess in Japanese mythology.

[2] Izanagi is known as the ‘Male-who-invites’ in Japanese mythology.

 

 

 

Teaser for the next chapter:

 

“…memories will usually come back when she’s sleeping like early in the morning or late at night…..

~

“Your blood type is AB…”

~

“You were only gone for two minutes, not two months, what are you talking about?”