Eleven (Part II)

Metanoia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Updated: 140116

*Happy Birthday Kai!*

 

Tablo actually asked me if I'm doing good at school. Well, little he and the rest of those sitting around the table knew about the fascinating updates of what happened in these few days at school.

I can heal myself. I can read Hyungwon's thoughts. Xiumin, who is an instructor at Seoul's university I recently met, didn't seem the least surprised at the interesting fact that I can heal, in fact, he was the one who discovered it.

Oh, there is one more thing.

A fight took place in the cafeteria. Even though I can't call it a fight, since it was one-sided. Hyungwon appeared from nowhere and put a line to what Minho was doing after the damned boy touched me. It was unnecessary move to pin the boy to the wall and show the entire crowd how Hyungwon was superbly strong. He used to hate me and try to do things to make me embarrassed, but eventually, he ended up helping me even though I didn't ask for it.

Last but not least, Sehun dragged me to some strange place and told me some things. He appears to know as much as Xiumin about the matter. The only difference is I told Xiumin somethings and other things he discovered himself, and I told Sehun nothing at all.

That white haired boy knew so much already and it is scaring me. He knew about the book, he knew I can read things other people can, and he knew I could heal.

Wait.

Doesn't that mean he is like me? I mean, he was able to know that I could read what normal people don’t. It means he can read what I can read.

Oh god.

My school is not the only thing that has so much going on.  

My whole life is changing, I can say that I guess.

We are supposedly celebrating the recent news of the exoneration, which is official, of my dear father. I honestly know nothing about the details, although I asked and tried to get a glimpse at the updates, but the mere fact is making me 80% happy. Despite how this 20% of worry was making me completely uncomfortable and stole sleep from my eyes at night, I am happy now.

I can say that.

I looked to my right and then to my left. I couldn't believe my eyes. It is a rare sight. I almost forgot how it looks or feels like. Mom and dad sitting in a dinner table, beautifully dressed, and smiling casually like a normal couple.

Tablo was rich enough to be able to redecorate the entire house after what happened. The clinic looks almost new.

You will never guess that a disaster hit a few days ago.

We were eating dinner at a table placed in the newly decorated garden. Everything was new. The lights, the table, the plates, the spoons, the flooring. We were enjoying the sweet wind. It was not cold, and it was not hot or humid.

It was nice, and it is rare to have such a nice, quiet weather.

Mom lifted an elegant glass filled with red liquid. "Let's celebrate the exoneration of my Maru."

I couldn't help but smile.

I couldn't believe it will ever happen. I have never thought that I would live to this moment. Dad smiled reservedly at my mom, Tablo teased a bit and I laughed. I wanted to save this moment in the back of my head and rewind it whenever I am down.

I feel happy.

I feel like I am flying.

It's been forever since I felt like this.

 

.

 

The elders asked me to bring them more wine. I walked inside the kitchen, and it was entirely changed. I looked around in admiration and appreciation of Mrs. Lee's efforts. It used to have white furniture, white walls, white everything. Now it is a mixture of white, black and red. It was beautiful too.

Not less than the rest of the house.

I opened the drawers in search of the vintage wine bottles. I tried to remember Mrs. Lee's words, but I couldn't. I needed more instruction due to the new kitchen.

I saw the door and I think it is the one she was referring to, I got in and it was it. I found the stairs I am familiar with that leads to where the bottles were. I took a quick look at my surroundings, and I found what I was looking for. I checked the name and it was it.

I smiled.

I got up and closed the door behind me.

I lifted the bottle when I heard my mom's voice telling me why I took so long. "I was getting you this,"

"Well, you're late," Tablo raised his eyebrows and motioned me to sit next to him. "You missed the story of how your father was an idiot for your mom,"

My mom chuckled and as I saw her features, she seemed to be enjoying the story. I know, because it is not the first I hear it and it is not the first time I see this exact expression on mom.

The strawberry red cheeks, the tightened smile, and the preserved posture that belongs to mom only. We heard the story, and I've got to smile and laugh at the exact same parts I always smile or laugh about. It is not the first time I listen to the story, yet it feels like it every time.

 

.

 

We took a taxi to return home. Mom and dad sat in the back and I sat next to the driver. The song we were listening to was a good one. It was The Eagles' Hotel California.

I was jamming along with it and a hint of smile is touching my lips. That's how you wrap up your day and then you can call it a good day.

I rested my head against the seat and closed my eyes to enjoy the good music and the good moments. I was tapping my fingers against my thigh in rhythmic movements as I listened to the song and to a mixture of my parents chuckling.

I couldn't hear what they were whispering and I could care less, but I am happy either way. 

'This could be Heaven or this could be Hell'

I inhaled some fresh air once I rolled down the car window. I shot my eyes open and my smile widened in appreciation.

Everything feels good at the moment.

I wish it remains the way it is now forever, or at least, remains the way it feels.

Mom sneezed and I intended to close the window before she tells me to, but she abruptly asked me to offer her some tissue. The driver pointed at the box of tissues placed in the front of the car. I took it and passed it to my mom.  

'Do not touch it,'

I flinched and turned to the old man sitting next to me. "What?"

He looked at me, startled. "What what?"

"You just said something." I blinked horrifyingly at him, every muscle tensed once I heard the voice. I heard mom chuckled from the back seat. "Honey, what is it?"

"I said nothing, young lady."

Well. You did I am sure.

I didn't break my eye-contact with the grey-headed driver.

Maybe I imagined that too, aside from the other strange things.

 We were close to our house and I am not as comfortable as I was a few minutes ago. I am not enjoying neither the good choice of music, the fresh air nor my parents company.

'We are close,'

I bit my lips.

'I have to do it,'

The voices, they've never been so close, I am scared. I tried to look at every corner we pass by in order to see a shadow that might belong to Hyungwon. Besides, I should get myself together. It is not new that I am hearing voices, why do I get tensed and nervous every freaking time.

'I have to do it,'

I should do more practice to appear normal, or at least near normal, whenever I hear the voices. I literally lose my composure and I lost control over my own head.

I become mindless.

"The next street, three blocks after the first turn," Mom reminded the driver and he nodded with a light, tired smile.

'I have to do it,'

Finally, we've reached our destination. Mom and dad got first. Mom tapped on the window. "What you're waiting for?"

'I have to do it,'

I nodded and I quickly opened the door, but as I moved my legs to get out, my knee pressed against the car drawer and it was opened.

I saw a gun.

I blinked way too much for the secret I've exposed and I bowed immediately with my head as I stretched my hand to close it.

'The idiot'

It was seconds, or even less than that, when the driver hooked his strong arm around my neck and got out a knife and put it against my neck. I heard mom's screaming at the sight. I only held his arm with both hands to lighten his grip against my neck. It hurt and nearly suffocated me. My heart was beating so fast, blood pounding extra hard against my skin.

I am scared and I immediately start crying.

"DO NOT ING MOVE, YOU LITTLE PEACE OF !" When my dad almost jumped inside the car, the driver roared succeeding in deadening my ear that was right under his mouth.

Mom almost collapsed and dad was boiling. "Leave her alone,"

"I knew you once I've got my eyes on you. You're Gil Maru!" He sniggered; his saliva was all in my neck. This disgusting old man. "You know that one of my nephews was killed by you? Of course, you won't even remember his face among the other victims you've killed."

A familiar lump in the throat. A familiar burning sensation in my eyes. A familiar feeling of numbness.

I hate this.

I really do.

I want it to end, but I think it will never end whether my father was or was not exonerated.

He got a grip around the gun he stored in the drawer and pointed it at my father. "The likes of you must die!" The driver exhaled and the words went out of his mouth like burning arrows.

He must've hated my father. Well, a lot of people must be loathing his guts.

I was thinking of my fate under this old, smelly and hairy man.

Will I be able to go to school tomorrow? Or will I just die?

But my head just went blank.

I can't think. I can't see. I can't tell where I am.

I don't know if it is because I am in a deep sleep now, or the driver already slit my throat or what exactly is the case.

I know that I am drowning in a black sea.

 

.

 

My lid felt like 10 kg of different kind of stone.

I couldn't lift it and just open my eyes.

It was like I lost control over my body.

I tried to move my hand.

I succeeded.

"She's up,"

I heard a familiar female voice. And once I heard that voice, I was able to open up my eyes, but still, they were heavy. I blinked as the blurriness was slowly fading away. I saw mom sitting at the edge of my bed.

Oh. I am in my room.

I smiled and wrapped my arms around my mom as I said bluntly. "Ah, I had this bad dream," I shook my head while I was pressing my cheek against her shoulder. "A taxi man nearly killed us with a gun he was keeping in his car's drawer. We were back from the Lees' house and-"

The relief in my chest was immediately blown away.

"You weren't dreaming, honey. It happened." Mom gave me an apologetic tight smile. I turned to look at dad who was sitting in a chair not far away from my bed. "So, it was all real?" I blinked. "A taxi driver attacked us and put a knife on my neck?"

Dad nodded.

"Then what happened?" I looked at my hands, not liking the strange unfamiliarity in it I am feeling. "As I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter