Nine

Metanoia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Updated: 160815

Words: 5006

Is life supposed to be too hard to understand? I mean, whatever comes out of these two men's mouths seemed to be from another language. A language I've never heard of, I've never learned, I've never spoke.

Enigmas.

Questions I doubt I will find answers to.

I made hypothesis and theories that don't seem to work. I can't reach the point where I can comprehend their puzzled conversation.

I just met the Minseok guy a few days ago, but the one thing I managed to realize, that he knows me. He knows too much about me for a guy that I just met.

He knows my name. He knows I am the daughter of Gil Maru and Gil Seungyeon and these two seemed to know things I myself don't know about me. I kept bewilderedly exchanging looks between the two. They didn’t bother to explain a thing to me.

"I know you'd be the key in finding him," he told me. This skinny .

He shamelessly confessed that he intentionally did all of this.

The photo-copied ID belonged to the pale white haired boy standing in front of me. He was right before my eyes. And standing behind me, is Minseok, the deceptive instructor I was fooled by his misleading appearance. And I was completely excluded from their conversation.

The two of them were still talking, and I couldn't catch any word because I was trying to understand what is the use of me, in all of this. How can I be too important to be the key in bringing someone to the light, I wondered.

"Lu Han, I say this for the millionth time already," it was in between a pleading and a command. His tone was sincere, impatient and sad. But his confident posture, face, and eyes made you overlook the weakness that showed in his request.

"And I refuse it without even listening to it, why don't you give up?" the so-called Lu Han wasn't looking at neither of us. He was looking everywhere but our direction with alarmed, cautious eyes.

I wondered for a moment as I look at him, is he wanted? Like does the country want him, just like my father? He suddenly averted his eyes and met mine and it startled me. I shivered. His eyes are familiarly icy cold.

"I won't, I can't." Minseok answered and Lu Han's eyes were back wandering around, distractedly looking in every corner, and he finally suggested. "You should consider it,"

Minsoek crossed his arms and shook his head. His friend, or whatever their relationship was, seemed more concerned about me than him. I was only a key after all. He didn't look at me, talk to me since this Lu Han came here. "No, I will not, and you will not escape this conversation like you always do."

Right. How in hell did he come from? The door was closed.

A light chuckle was all Lu Han managed to express. It strangely sounded familiar as well. As I look closely at him, his face was familiar as well. I wondered if it was just due to that ID left in the book.

I wondered again why would that be in the book, is it from Minseok's planning too? If it is, then why? Did he want me to find him?

If that instructor really knew a lot about me, he would know how curious I can be. I looked at how furious he looked at Lu Han and wondered why.

A lot of whys.

Suddenly, Lu Han approached Minsoek, slammed him against the wall, gripping on his collar and mutter something I couldn’t hear. I froze in my place, and didn't know whether to stay still or to walk to them and stop them. But whether they fought or not I really don't care. I just don't them to end up wounded and that will be hard for me to leave. I just can't walk away and both of them need help.

I sighed and walked to them but before I say anything, they stopped and distanced each other. However, Minseok's eyes finally met mine and if he had laser in his eyes I would melt to the ground. His eyes radiate hate and grudge. It was a familiar look, I saw it in everyone's eyes. A look that reflect one thing, that everything wrong in this world is my fault.  

Lu Han sighed and ran a hand through his hair. His hair was slightly long and it was pulled back. His clothes were all in black. Black jeans, black shirt, black boats. "We both know she's not supposed to be here, at least not yet,"

Minseok said something I wasn't able to catch and Lu Han immediately answered with a hint of annoyance and impatience.  "Xiumin, look. I've told you before, there are other priorities."

Xiumin? I internally scoffed.   

"Your priority is here, Lu Han. Be done with it already," he's pointing at me, yet he kept me ignored. Even though I asked what the hell is going on.

"Oh god, not now. She's ignorant, Xiumin, how many times do I have to tell you this?"

I am ignorant, but I found Lu Han's hair too captivating that I didn't protest as they insulted me. It wasn't as blonde as Mr. Kim's hair nor as fresh as Sehun's. Faint shade of white. It matched his toned face and his features. They were fierce, yet they were something opposite. They were tough, challenging and something else I didn't know what it was.

His smile is familiar. Kind of. And according to him, I suppose this isn't our first encounter.

"Then let's educate her."

He sighed. "God, Xiumin, I know you're doing this because you think I'm lying,"

"Don't blame me, man. You never fail at making me worried. You never return my calls, I don't know where the hell you're at, and you-"

"You should trust me. I'm telling you this is not the time for what we've talked about."

I'm not listening to them now.

It was all blurred

 All of a sudden.

Even the words I'm hearing are blurry somehow.

Unclear and far away.

Oh, it is a familiar feeling. It is like I am dreaming.

A dream where I try to understand, where I try to comprehend what the hell is going on, but I fail and trip and fall and then wake up.

I blink. Once. Twice.

Everything is so clear that my heart hurt, my knees shake, and my lips tremble.

The two were profoundly discussing something god knows what and they seemed so unprepared, so into the thing they're talking about, and so exposed.

Vulnerable. Not ready, defense and guard are completely down.

I couldn't form the words. It was so unexpected and it felt like a real dream. A dream where I can feel everything and remember everything.

Two people on the other building, holding something in our direction. They were as immobile as a brick that you even doubt your eyes. But there they are.

My breathing hitched as the idea that I wasn't the target came to my mind. It was one of them, or probably both.

Lu Han cut off his words immediately and took his eyes from Minseok to me, widely opened. Before I formed the words and they finally got out of my mouth, Lu Han turned and looked back. "B-Behind you,"

Now it was all in a slow motion.

As he turn his face, and as the realization hit Minseok, and as both of them were kind of trying to help each other, it was all in a slow motion. Minseok roared, warning Lu Han. However, the latter seemed less worried about his own safety and instead, he shoved both of us aside.

I felt like a wrecking ball hit me. He literally managed to throw both of us away, at least out of the snipers eyes. I fell on my back and I think I hurt my hip and rips, but my eyes were still open.

Minseok passed out right away right next to me. I didn't know if he just fainted due to the fact that his head hit the wall, or he's dead. I started to panic.

I can't move my body nor my hands but I can move my head. I didn't know why I started crying. "Hey," it was muffled between my sobs.

I didn't know the guy but he can't just die. When you meet someone and then the next few minutes they lie next to you dead is dreadfully awful.

"D-Don't die," I said as I felt something hot and wet on my shirt.

I then closed my eyes.

 

*

 

I woke up to uncertainty. Thrones of unaccustomedness. Cold air coming from the windows or the AC, I'm not sure. My mouth was dry and I want water.

I don't know where the hell I am.

Not my room, definitely. Not school, I would recognize the mold scent, for sure. And not Tablo's clinic.

I opened my eyes to Mr. Kim's pale face and blonde distinctive hair, worriedly looking at me, frowning those eyebrows of his like I was dying and letting out my last breaths. I wished he would take those eyes away from me.

Am I in the infirmary? Well, I am definitely there. Or why would my chemistry teacher be next to me? Of course, unless his chemistry genius has done something wrong or had some troubles.

Ah, this guy. He thinks he is something. He really plays the role of a teacher very well.

I blinked and looked again at the unfamiliar ceiling. The perfume that seemed to be lingering to my body bothered me. It is unfamiliar as well.

A mess of unfamiliarity. I am tired, but I feel weightless. I am exhausted, worn-out, drained of all the energy in my body, yet I feel like I can walk out of this room, run a marathon and easily win it.

I tried to sit up, and Mr. Kim rushed to me his hands on my arm. "Don't, Daran, just stay where you are."

"I'm okay," I announced and freed myself from his grip. Who the hell he think he is to grab me like this? Okay, he is a teacher, but that's it. That doesn't allow him to come here and touch me like that.

I know he just did a simple gesture that indicated a humanly worried behavior, but I don't like what human do. They always do some touching and I am someone who hates it whatsoever.

Allergic to be to people's touch. I am weird. I know.

"No, you're not, Daran."

I rolled my eyes and said while not looking at him. "I feel okay, and that's enough." As I took a fine look at my surrounding, I can conclude that I end up in a hospital; but the question is why. I wondered and tried to recall how I got here.

Mr. Kim wasn't alone to my surprise, but it wasn't mom nor dad, whom I didn't expect their arrival whatsoever. It was that white-haired boy Sehun and Choi Jun. Sehun was still in his school uniform but Jun was wearing a beige pair of pants and a blue polo t-shirt. He looked different.

They stood when I tried to fight Mr. Kim's hands from keeping me down on the bed. "Daran, the doctor said-"

"I don't care what the doctor said," I exclaimed, finally succeeding on sitting up. The muscles of my back contracted, as if not yet accustomed to the way I am sitting. Mr. Kim handed me a glass of water, as if he was reading my mind, and the two approached my bed slowly. They stood at the end of the bed, looking at me as if waiting for me to say something.

I looked down at me, I was wearing the ugly hospital gown. I finally asked, feeling that what I did to Mr. Kim was too much. "Why am I in a hospital?" Then I thought that was the least I can do to someone who annoys me. I looked around for any trace of my uniform. Who the hell stripped me out of it, I wondered. Again, it is not who but why.

Jun cleared his throat, exchanged transient looks between Sehun and Mr. Kim and replied. "You passed out,"

"Passed out?"

He nodded and Sehun was digging me with his laser eyes who continued explaining

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter