Eight

Metanoia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I almost forgot! 

This story reacher 500 subscribers! 

*dances around aggressively*

Thank you so much, every and each one of you!

Updated: 280715

Words: 4590

"Daran," Mr. Kim called me with the biggest smile. He was like a proud father as he wrote the equation on the board, handing me the chalk. I think meeting my mom yesterday gave him a little push in approaching me, though he definitely didn't need one. 

I wondered if I could ask him to stop this. Promoting me, or whatever that is, I just want to stop. I am used to being on the spotlight, but for being extremely dangerous, an outcast, and for being scary being the daughter of a well-known murderer. However, the spotlight I am getting was for being the student who will definitely snatch that A+ from the chemistry hard- teacher.

I am becoming the teacher's puppet instead of being Daran the Killer's Daughter.

It is kind of nice, to detach myself from that title, but honestly, I would prefer it more than this. I sighed, and I got another encouraging smile from him, all his teeth were showing. "C'mon, Daran, it is not that hard, isn't it?"

He turned to the class with a stern look. "Instead of this bull you're talking about," He looked specifically at two girl who're whispering into each other's ears. "You should take a look on how it is done, and learn."

They rolled their eyes as Mr. Kim didn't avert his eagle-like eyes from them. I did it, and without looking at him, I returned to my seat.

Before Mr. Kim could ask me to explain how I balanced that equation, the door was slammed open, and all eyes were on the guy who stepped in. The first few buttons of his shirt were ed, his hair was slightly long but at one part of his head, it was shaved.

My eyes lingered on the tattoo on the back of his left hand.

The whispers definitely increased and Mr. Kim wasted no time as he shouted and silenced the class. It was a gift, I am sure, to have the ability to shut a class of 24 students up in less than seconds. "I've recently got transferred to this class by Mrs. Jung,"

His accent was a bit weird, I noticed. It was the guy who nearly ripped my arm off the day before. That , I thought as I remembered that smile of his, that victorious full of pride smile.

His previous school uniform fits him so well. It reflected that he took care of that body. No wonder he almost ripped my arm off my torso.  I don't know how has it been since he came in our school, but it seems like no one said anything to him about the uniform. Our school's policies are kind of strict when it comes to rules.

That’s why I wonder how Sehun, for his white hair, and that guy, for not changing his uniform, are left with no one to bother them about breaking the school's holy rules.

They usually do, the teachers.

"Welcome, Lim Hyungwon." Mr. Kim nodded and showed him an empty seat. Was he that popular, like, everyone knew who he was? I wondered. He was still at the door, and Mr. Kim seemed to be up for some lame jokes that aren't funny except to himself. "Don't be shy, come on in."

When I glared at him, it was like he immediately sensed that, he caught me looking. Before I took my eyes, I swear he smiled. It wasn't a whole-heartedly intended one, I am sure.

It was a hint of smile, though I didn't know why my heart squeezed. My heart is always telling me stupid-to-admit things, but I kind of believe in them.

I thought that smile wasn't just a smile, like 'oh, hi, my new classmates,'. Not the friendly kind of smile whatsoever. On top of that, that intentional accident he created yesterday tells me that he is someone to avoid, for sure.

I looked at the window, the birds and the blue sky. The cotton-like clouds, the trees that reaches the school windows, and every detail that makes the outside world more beautiful.

If I was bird, I feel like I won't have any problems at all.

All I do is to fly.

No limits, no boundaries, nothing that hold anything from my reach.

I can do everything, and I will fly beautifully everywhere.

A rough voice reached me and I turned to be greeted by Hyungwon's eyes, and I can't help but remember when he hit me with his shoulder. "Is this seat occupied?"

I glanced at the seat next to me everyone seemed to avoid and shrugged. I looked back at the window, my chin resting in my palm. Yeah, I don't want to talk to him. His throaty laugh lingered in my ears as he questioned, smiling. "Still deaf, huh?"

Oh, he is kidding, right? What a wonderful attempt to talk to someone. If he did that to make me talk, I won't do it. I gave him one dirty look, and I noticed his ear piercings. How many are they, five?

"Hey, transfer student, would you please take a seat?" Mr. Kim seemed a bit distracted as Hyungwon stood there. However, when he made himself comfortable in the seat next to me, Mr. Kim asked him to come and sit in the front instead.

"It is a habit of mine to make new students sit in the front, you know, so I could see your level clearly."

Hyungwon groaned as he dragged his legs to the front line. I sighed in relief as some girls in the front giggled and smiled from ear to ear.

 

.

 

Mr. Kim let me leave early, so when it was already break time, I was down in the backyard before the students filled the halls. I might take that as the only advantage from being the teacher's new puppet.  

As a result, I earned ten additional minutes by myself in this beautiful, peaceful space.

No one would disturb me while reading. No one I need to watch out for my actions while he is around, even though either ways there is no change. Not that significant variation.

I failed at returning the book yesterday, so I thought I would be able to return it this morning. After these strange information started showing, I felt like I am reading some fictional story index. Nonetheless, it seemed like destiny wanted it to stay with me a little longer.

I didn't know why I turned left and right to see if anyone's around, again. As if I was stealing something and I don't want anyone to catch me red-handed. I opened the book, getting thrilled for unknown reasons, biting my lips excitedly.

Wizard and Witches, they used to be everywhere. However, in 1920s, some religious groups initiated their eradication believing that they were the devil's work. That includes vampires, werewolves, xenogenics, and those with supernatural abilities. Like for example, psychokinesis, clairvoyance, telepathy, psychometery, and others.

'devil into human shape,'

It was thought that they were possessed by Satan. These religious people used to torture them publically under the commands of who's in charge so everyone would see it and will never think twice in doing that again. The distinct execution options provided were incredibly cruel. For instance, impalement, combustion, crucifixion, and dunking. The point of it was to make them an example to the people, a warning.

There was a picture that made me shocked.

I've read something about how people in the past were so creative when it came to torturing. There are actually some museums that only display the old ways of tourture. I honestly don't see the purpose of it. Like why?

I wondered for a moment, is this book real? I got a shiver and before I close the book, that voice came. That unthreatening voice I heard when mom came to pick me for the first time at the gates of school.

'Look at me,'

'Look now,'

'I am right behind you,'

'Bewitched by me, my look, my eyes,'

I got this funny feeling, just like when you know that the monster in your wardrobe when you were a kid was nothing but a shadow of the tree near your window. Instead of making me tremble, I let out a nervous chuckle. It was strange, yet relieving. It was getting the tips of my hands cold, but there is this little butterfly in my stomach. I feel kind of energized instead of horrified.

'Look now,'

The backyard was under this hall that connects the two building of our school. It was all in glass, giving off this beautiful, luxurious looks to the school building.

As I raised my eyes, they fell on Lim Hyungwon up in the hall, standing by one of the windows, but gladly I was the least of his concern.

He was looking at a brown-headed girl not so far from him and his friends. I didn't know I would witness such small details of a newly born crush between him and Yeonhee. I recognized her as I looked closely.

'Yeah, be under my spell,'

He smiled that side-smile when she looked shyly at him.

I blinked.

When she looked at him, the voices disappeared, I realized.

"The seeds of the castor oil plant containricin, one of the world's most lethal toxins; it was famously used to assassinate Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov in 1978." I widen my eyes and fell off the chair I was sitting comfortably in. The book fell as well, and Choi Jun kneeled down to take it. He put it on his thighs as he continued reading, an amused smile danced on his lips. "It is poisonous despite its beautiful appearance,"

"What the hell are you doing here," I managed to say as my hand was on my chest, in order to calm my pounding heart, as I was still almost lying on the grass.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," that amused smile widened and his eyes sank in. His face was bright like sun. You look at him and think that nothing is wrong with this world whatsoever.

I dusted my skirt and sat stiffly next to him. He patted the book with his hand, narrowed his eyes at me and asked with sarcasm. "How can a 17 years old girl have books this big with her?" He returned to the book, and I wanted to snatch it from him and smack his head with it. "I mean, seriously? Poisonous planets?"

"Give it to me,"

My attempts in ceasing the book failed as he lift it with one hand, taking it far from my reach. "My father would love to take you as his daughter for sure," He paused as he looked at me, chuckling at a joke he made in his head. "What, are you trying to poison someone? Maybe Mr. Kim?"

I stood and successfully snatched the book from his hand. "Haha"

I gave it a thought, even though the subject of killing people isn't a subject I would freely joke about, but I cocked my head thoughtfully. "Well, if it is Mr. Kim, maybe. But, wait, the book isn't even about that-"

I reopened the book where my finger was, and I blinked in disbelief. My face dropped and I chuckled, unable to believe what I am seeing.

"Obviously it is about planets, it is what's written on the cover. But you don't want to admit how nerdy you are." He stood right in front of me; a smile of victory replaced th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter