Six

Metanoia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Six

updated in: 2nd of July 2015

words count: 3383

I'm sitting in my seat in class, yet I'm still shaking. There was no threats at the moment, I mean like Yeonhee or Souji, or even that white-haired stick. Choi Jun asked me repeatedly if I was okay or if I needed to go to a nurse. I was partially happy that finally someone cares, but he started to annoy me and made me more nervous.

My face is usually down. I look at my feet all the time. But today I'm spacing out in people's faces. Some were surprised that I am looking at them, but technically, I wasn't. I was thinking.

My mind is in chaos.

There are many things that happened recently and my mind can’t process them, especially what happened yesterday. It didn't leave my head.

I can't think straight.

I tried, but couldn't. I kept rewinding every moment in order to organize my thoughts, and it's insane.

First of all, the group of people who were pointing their guns at the little wolf. They were crazy enough to start shooting in the middle of the street. It was a residential region, not an empty desert, for god's sake.

I remember their faces. The old man with the stick, his face explode wisdom with a hint of evil. The short female, she seemed familiar with guns. That woman was ready to shoot anyone. And that European giant, he hit me hard.

I wonder what they were doing there and how in hell they knew about me.

When I told Tablo about them, his face told me that he believed me, though I hesitate at first about telling him. However, when the people of that neighbor were asked, what they were doing when they heard the fire shooting they said they didn't hear any. It wasn't like one or two houses that were investigated, it was almost each house on that neighbor and the answer was the same. I thought maybe the rain had somehow muted the noise they've made.

Second of all, the wolf and how real it felt between my arms. I saw the wolf. It was a wolf. I took him to Tablo's clinic and I put him myself in the green house. I came today and I found nothing but a very strange looking piece of metal.

The three men we saw in the CCTV made me even more horrified. How in hell did they enter the clinic? And that man, whom we didn't see go in whatsoever, was he in there from the beginning?

What they wanted? I kept asking myself repeatedly.

Tablo isn't that rich after all. Well, he is kind of rich but there are plenty of houses that would catch robbers' eyes more than his house.

If they want to steal something in the first place, why would they go to the green house? There is nothing to steal there. Hyejung assured that there was nothing of her jewelry went missing nor any of her valuable stuff. It seemed like everything in the house that thought to be valued was never touched. Only the room where we keep the animals. It was a mess. 

One thing I couldn't get off my head is how my family reacted to the whole thing. The way my parents looked at me put me into a state of mind-paralysis, if I can describe it like that.

A lot of things have occurred these few past days. It doesn’t feel real though. It was all like a dream. A very big strange dream. An unforgettable dream that disable you from erasing what you've seen even if one day, one week or one year has passed by. It sticks in your head.

Tablo told me he would keep me updated about the investigations, but until now nothing happened, or he didn't bother to tell me.

Nevertheless, I will know everything. Even if my mother tried to keep me out of this, which I internally have no doubts that she has something to do with it.

It's break and the book between my hands is my only distraction at the moment. I was engulfing it, too many information that I strangely find so interesting and oddly rare. Information that I've never known and I've never thought about. I didn't even realize that I've finished almost 25% of this huge book in less than one day.

There are a lot of words that I don't understand. They were too many that I had to skip some pages. I couldn't highlight these words, so I had to take some pictures with my phone of the whole page to look for them.

I hear the bell ring announcing the beginning of the 4th period, and I close the book almost immediately.

The time I will take until I reach my class is almost five minutes, and of course, I always try to minimize any possible encounter with any human being.

I don’t want to have to talk to someone. So arriving to class earlier than everyone else is my goal.

The students usually tend to return late to classes after breaks, and I tend to come even earlier than the time the bell rings. So today is my first time returning to class after the bell ring.

Late.

I rush to the iron door of the roof where I love spending my leisure, and I close it behind me. The students' chattering noise is clear to me now as I take the stairs.

I walk with rather brisk steps to avoid any contact with students. However, it didn't go as I want as someone crushes my shoulder, almost ripping it off. I fly and fall on the ground. My back first hit the cold ground and I felt my lungs get ruptured. They didn't but I felt like I was out of air for a few moments.

I don't know when I will stop falling.

I try to get up right away, my hand holding my shoulder and I undeliberatedly wince from the pain that invaded my bones. I couldn't help but tear a bit.

I know for a fact that my shoulder bone is already broken, if not from his broad shoulders it will be due to the ceramic floor.  

I lift my head up once I heard the boy's voice, which failed on hiding his fake sincerity as he apologizes. As I look at his face, it became clear. He did it on purpose. He couldn't suppress his grin as he apologized again, stretching a hand down to me. 

I wanted to slap his hand. I wanted to spit on his smug, proud face.

I didn't take the hand and I stand by myself. I look at his face; it is unfamiliar to me. I take a quick glance at his name card and his uniform.

Lim Hyungwon, a transfer student.

I notice that a crowd has already gathered around us, exchanging looks between me and that and whispering into each other's ears. It always feels like problems find their way to me no matter how hard I try to avoid them.

My hands were empty.

My book.

Where the hell is it?

My eyes are wandering in search for my precious book. The last thing I want now is someone to mock me for my book choice, also to see the book sharing the same fate of my precious diary when Souji tore it right in front of me.

I found it.

I found it a few meters away from me, down a slightly short boy's feet. The boy was looking intensely at me, which gave me the chills. Despite that, I walk toward him and bend to take the book; his eyes are still on me. Before I rise, I notice that there's something, a picture apparently, that fell from the book.

I take it from the floor and before I could look at it, the doe-eyed boy's hand is holding on my arm. His eyes wide open as he cursed to my face. "Jesus-" He releases me and within seconds, he was out of sight. It was so fast that I couldn’t even get to see his name card.

I didn't get to slap his hand. I didn't get to catch a fine look of his face. I didn’t get to curse ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter