(2) ???

Private Concert

Everything felt surreal. Hours ago I was lazily eating breakfast with my family and Mi Cha, and now I’m in a vehicle with the CUBE staff. They’re holding a conversation I’m not really catching on. Why did I let this happen?

Oh right. Because I’m dumb (I could blame it on BEAST for being a great temptation, but I blame their manager more for putting me into this).

My thoughts were interrupted when an elbow hit my arm. I shifted slightly away and turn to my side and saw a girl with dyed orange hair tied in pigtails. She pouted at me, and I nervously grinned at her. Am I supposed to know this person?

“Are you going to ignore me all day, Jang Mi Ri? How dare you!”

I’m not that dumb to not be aware that the girl I was mistaken as is Jang Mi Ri. I’m now very intrigued on what she really looks like (I know she looks like me, but you get the idea). It all makes sense now.

“Um, hi?”

“Okay, I’m sorry I didn’t buy your ice cream yesterday! Please don’t be mad at me! And if it helps I’ll let the cat out of bag so here it goes...” she took a deep breath and looked at me straight in the eye. I back off slightly. “I used your money to buy concert tickets without you knowing! But that was last year... Anyway, you forgive me right?”

I stared at her, baffled. I seriously have no idea what to say anymore.

“What concert was it?” I asked, anyway.

“INFINITE’s... Mi Ri, I’m so sorry!”

“INFINTE? Hey, I saved money for that concert, but I had my finals. You’re so lucky! Even though your concert money wasn’t even yours...” I mumbled and played with my hair with my fingers. I cried so much that day. I cried in front of my concert money and cried while taking my exam. I was excused for being “emotionally unprepared”, which ended up with me crying even more because I ended up not taking the exam (but thankfully got to try it again the next day) and not going to the concert on the same day. Tragic.

“What?”

“I cried while taking the exam.” I sobbed dramatically, while patting her shoulder. I wiped a fake tear.

“But Mi Ri, you’re not an INFINTE fan. And you’re 26. You’ve finished school years ago.”

I can’t help but roll my eyes at her. All these time I was giving off hints.

“But I am. And I’ve just finished university last year.” I said innocently.

“No you didn’t. Unless you’re a different person. But that would be weird.” She laughed and I snapped my fingers and clapped.

“You finally got it right!”

“What?”

“See, girl-I-just-met, I’m not Mi Ri, and I’m not a 26 year old who is not a fan of INFINTE. Try to remember what Jang Mi Ri was wearing just a while ago. My clothes don’t match hers. Does my voice even the same as hers?”  I counted to ten and waited for her reaction, but after twenty seconds, there wasn’t even a response. When I looked at her, she’s wearing an “Oh please.” face. I arched a brow. Then she slapped my arm and guffawed.

“Always a real joker and great at imitations, Mi Ri! But Kim Daeun won’t be fooled! You’re rich, duh, you can afford new clothes. I don’t even know why you’re working for CUBE...” She trailed off, and continued to laugh. I crossed my arms, annoyed.

I then gripped her shoulders and shake her. “Get a clue! I am Song Hyojung. Song Hyojung!”

She frowned and opened but closed it again when A-Pink’s Bubibu rang in her pocket. She pulled her phone and stared at it, then at me, then at her phone, then at me again. I looked at her confused. I mouthed, “Answer it.”

She hastily clicked Answer.

“Mi Ri?” she whispered. I unsuccessfully tried to conceal a laugh.

~*~

When Mi Ri’s phone call ended, she barely made any eye contact and she stopped talking to me.

“So... That was Mi Ri?” Well, obviously, Hyojung! You just heard her name just a while ago! But just to ease the silence.

“Yeah.” She leaned in closer to whisper. “I know I’m not supposed to say this, but she had diarrhea at the airport so she wasn’t around.”

“Well that explains everything.”

“Sorry about a while ago. Song Hyojung right?” Look at how things escalate quickly.

I smiled and elbowed her arm, jokingly. “Now you believe me! Took you long enough.”

“Sorry, sorry! I’m Kim Daeun. Nice to meet you!” she beamed. “But seriously, you two look so much alike. Maybe because we’re so used to Mi Ri with very thick makeup. But if she were to take it off, then you two would look different. Or if that’s also thick makeup on your face right now.” She narrowed her eyes at me. I touched my cheeks.

“I applied light makeup: BB Cream and lipgloss. I was in a hurry, and very lazy, this morning.”

Daeun nodded and the conversation died for a moment and I started looking around. The lady sitting beside me was snoozing so soundly, and the girls at the back were still talking, now it is something about their mothers opening a restaurant, if I’m hearing it right. Then it hit me. My mom. My parents.

I rummaged through my bag and quickly found my phone. I quickly pressed the unlock button and was very surprised when I saw it completely empty: no texts, no calls. They don’t even know I’m missing? I called my mom.

“Hi, Hyojung dear~ We left the airport just a while ago. Forgot to ring you to say we left because I figured you were having so much fun. Right?” she sniggered.

My jaw dropped. They just left and didn’t even try to send a message. They just left! Sure, I kind of escaped the airport with people who aren’t even my co-workers (not that I have co-workers in the first place) on our way to CUBE without telling them. But they could at least say they miss me.

“Oh, really?” I asked like I was interested.

“Yup. Stay safe there okay? There were so many BEAST fans just a while ago, I felt like you were by them and joined them. I mean, those boys are not hard to love. Anyway, see you soon. Bye!”

“Wait, mom –“ She hung up on me mid-sentenced. I sighed and put my phone back to my bag and slid my back against the chair. I can’t help but to feel guilty because even though I wasn’t into the crowd, I went with the staff.

“Your mom doesn’t know, does she?”

“No... I don’t know. I don’t even know why I’m here. No, actually I know why I’m here but I don’t know why I decided to come even though I’m not actually among you guys and –“

“Calm down, Hyojung! You’re mumbling incoherently.”

How can I calm down exactly? What if they found out I was a fake? Wait. I’m not even pretending to be Mi Ri, I was kind of forced to be here. What if they thought I was acting as Mi Ri and then they’d ban me from CUBE and I wouldn’t get to see those dazzling six boys again. That’s like dying even though you’re perfectly alive!

Daeun patted me on the shoulder. “You poor, poor thing! I decide to help you get through this. You deserve so much in this life.”

I stifled a laugh from her exaggeration and let her continue her speech.

“We’ll see manager-nim together and maybe we can even get you a job here for permanent, you know, if you don’t have a job.”

“You’re right about that.” I giggled and she gave me two thumbs up.

The vehicle stopped and we all hopped off the ride. It was my first seeing the building, and I felt like my heart dropped so much I felt it in my stomach. Or was it the endless tying knots of my stomach. Or is it just the excitement. Or the expectations that I have that I endlessly wish to come true.

“Why’re we going inside?”

“BEAST’s practicing for a concert and CUBE needs the staff for the arrangements and assistance.”

“Are you like a stylist or something?”

“What? No! I’m a trainee.” She said proudly, with her chin up.

“Then why are you –“

“I volunteered for being an assistant stylist. Mi Ri and I are really close so when they were down to one person, I volunteered and Mi Ri picked me.” She paused in front of me and turned and did the jazz hands. “Song Hyojung, welcome to CUBE!”

She announced so loudly, most of the staff looked at us. I wasn’t even embarrassed but I jabbed her slightly in the ribs to keep her quiet. She dramatically grunted and winced in pain, and then laughed.

When we came in, I was thankful for the airconditioner even though it’s not even hot outside. Maybe it’s because of the burn in my hand that I forgot I even had. The staff walked in separate directions as they passed the counter. Daeun pulled me to what I suppose is the manager’s office, which was a lot of walks away. It was tiring. I silently prayed for all to go the way I expect it to be and that I won’t be banned from here because that is pretty much a big deal. I mean, imagine being banned from CUBE! If you aren’t affected by that, then you didn’t imagine harder.

“Brace yourself.” Daeun whispered and knocked on the door. No answer. Then she knocked again. And again. And agai –

“Stop knocking already!”

“Sorry!” she apologized in between giggles. “Impatient lady over here.”

“What’s your business here, Kim Daeun?”

“None of my business, but of hers.” She pushed me in front of her and let me face the manager, the same manager who pulled me out of the shop. I hid a gasp but widen my eyes.

Hey, you owe me coffee!

“What?” He frowned.

Did I just say that out loud?

Daeun cleared . “See, manager-nim, this is Song Hyojung and not Jang Mi Ri. Mi Ri called me a while ago and said she had, uh, you know, that...”

“So I heard.”

“She told you?! Mi Ri is so brave, my idol!” Daeun exclaimed exaggeratedly, and waved her hands in a theatrical manner.

“Nevermind that. I owe you a coffee, Ms. Song. I apologize for my rash action this morning,” he leaned in closer and narrowed his eyes at me. I gulped. “But you do look like Mi Ri, with the eyes and all.”

“It’s because Mi Ri wears a lot of eye makeup.” mumbled Daeun. She leaned closer to the manager and whispered loud enough for me to hear, “If you just saw Mi Ri without makeup, you’ll be so shocked!”

The manager cleared his throat and took a step back from Daeun. “Now that everything is cleared up, you may go now, Hyojung.” He stated calmly, and I just stayed there.

That’s it? I’ll just step out of this building like nothing happened? I stared blankly at the wall, wondering if I’m angry or feeling dejected because of unfulfilled expectations. Who was I kidding? Miracles only exist in movies.

“Wait, manager-nim, won’t things be affected because Mi Ri isn’t around? And aren’t we missing some other staff members, I mean, BEAST’s next concert won’t be so soon so we need more people. And if I’m not mistaken, that’s in Japan right? My friend here might know some very useful languages.”

My heart pounded in the mention of Japan. Where’s she going with this? She doesn’t even know I speak Japanese.

The manager rubbed his forehead and frowned. “You’re right, and BEAST’s Japanese teacher is so busy these days and...”

While he was saying something, Daeun whispered to me just enough for the both of us to hear. “Please tell me you know Japanese.”

I grinned at her. “You don’t have to worry about that.”

She mouthed the words “Good luck.”

“We need you, Song Hyojung!” Wow, what a sudden character development. I should’ve listened to his talk to know what made him go to asking me to join CUBE.

His words were so desperate it sounded so funny and out of character. It as a wrong move for me to laugh. I breathed an apology, and beamed.

“Really? Really, really? You’re really, really sure? Thank you! Thank you! I won’t let you down!” I can’t help but throw my arms around the manager who now looks like the uncle from a farm our family once had and I squealed, only to get pulled by Daeun and her telling me to get myself together. I stood on my feet, composed, and took a deep breath and apologized once more. Soon-to-be-my-manager looks like he want to give up on me but I guess he has no other choice. I looked at Daeun and sent her a telepathic thanks and she just grinned and clapped. I just got a job!

“But you need to hand in your application form by tomorrow. President Hong should be advised.”

~*~

Manager-nim (I can finally call him that! Achievement!) was so nice (plus he said he’ll buy me coffee, from CUBE Cafe!) he offered to help me get through the maze known as CUBE Ent. Building and reach the lobby, in which I declined. I thought I’ve had every turn memorized but no. And I regret it.

I looked at the same picture of 4Minute that I’ve seen a couple of minutes ago. I’m pretty sure that all I’ve been doing this whole time is going in circles, both hopelessly looking for the right way or someone to point me the directions. I took a few turns again, and saw a huge map attached to a plain wall. The floor map. I scurried to the map, only ended up being more confused. There were symbols and numbers and colors that my poor brain and my maybe low IQ couldn’t read and understand quickly.

“It’s like a puzzle isn’t it?” A small but gentle voice made me turn. My eyes widened and my lips parted. I controlled them from forming a wide O shape and I did pretty well on trying not to faint. G.Na.

“Um, I-I was just...” I stuttered, pointing to whatever direction in sudden nervousness. Stop it Hyojung! She’s a singer, not a ghost! G.Na failed in hiding her giggles and I felt my face flush.

“Hey, I’m a singer, not a ghost!” I became more and more surprised.

“I figure you need my help. Newcomer?”

I nodded silently. She was really beautiful like in magazines and television, but literally more gorgeous in person. She’s like a goddess and I’m a grape. She was only wearing light makeup with her hair tied in ponytails. She has her bag slung from her shoulders, might be prepared to go home.

“I’ll show you the way then!” G.Na strutted to the hallway and I meekly followed, like her tail. All I wanted to do was ask for an autograph and frame it once I get home. But I’m not just a fan anymore, I’m a CUBE employee (well, soon to be) and I should practice some self-control and get use to this.

I felt more frustrated with myself knowing that the walk to the exit was incredibly short, plus only an elevator ride away. G.Na waved her goodbye to me after I thanked her before she left the building.

“You’re the new employee, am I right?” The attendant asked with the usual kind smile.

“Nope.” I shook my head and grinned. “Not yet.”

She opened to say something else but I already got to the automatic doors. The world outside suddenly felt unreal to me I just had to look back at all that happened this day and ask myself if any of it is real. First I was an unemployed university graduate and now I’ve met BEAST, got to walk near them, got mistaken as a coordinator, and then got a job offer from CUBE. Woah.

“Noona!” Someone was shouting from the crowd. He sounded so desperate maybe he got lost from the crowd, maybe got lost from the crowd and parted from his sister. The calling grew louder each step I take, until a hand landed on my shoulder.

I froze with my eyes wide open. If this is a murderer, I swear... I just got a job, for crying out loud!

“Finally I caught up with you...” he said in between breaths. I hesitated to turn and look. But I ended up looking at him anyway.

It was my turn to catch my breath.

His back is slouched, his hands on top of his knees, and shoulders rising up and down from panting. He’s clutching an envelope in one hand, and wearing the clothes Yang Yoseob was wearing a while ago.

“See, I was about to go out and buy snacks for Doojoon, when attendant-nim asked me to bring this along to hand to you, while you weren’t still so far away.” He exhaled deeply and straighten his back, his eyes narrowed at the envelope, his eyebrows furrowed like he was confused. “But noona, why are you applying for another job when you are already working...?”

You haven’t even looked at me yet. On the second thought, don’t look at me. I’ll lose it and fall to the ground and die.

I cleared my throat. “I’m not really that Mi Ri...”

As if my voice itself startled him, his head quickly lifted and his eyes landed on mine. His mouth formed an O, and I didn’t know what expression to wear while he is staring, so I just pursed my lips to a tight line.

“I...was mistaken as Jang Mi Ri so I ended up inside CUBE, if that explains something.”

Yoseob chuckled and said “Isn’t that so...” while handing me the envelope. I mentally slapped myself. The application form! I’m the dumbest and the most forgetful person who ever walked the earth and here I am standing right in front of the gift of heaven himself. Please tell me I’m not dreaming.

I absentmindedly outstretched my burnt hand and winced a little as I took the envelope. That coffee sure is too hot it could be what hell is made of.

“What happened there?”

“Coffee.” I muttered as I discreetly pulled down the sleeves of my blouse but failed because it only hurt more. This is really bad timing.

“We should get that treated, you know?” There was a frown on his face and even though he was just being a concerned and thoughtful individual of the society and a big sweetheart, my stomach can’t help but flip. But I knew too well than to accept his offer.

“Shouldn’t you buying something for Doojoon?” We all know who’s more important here, and his initials are YDJ.

“Doojoon can wait.” He laughed and pulled my unburnt hand and carefully ran back to the building along with me exclaiming “Hurry, hurry!”

He might have noticed me holding my breath, and tried to lighten up the situation. He tried his cuteness on me, and I'm not even embarrassed to say that it worked. It always works. "Your arm might fall if we don't get there quickly!" he whined. 

Well, he could say the same thing to my heart. 

 


 

A/N:

This chapter is so lousy im so sorry and the update took 7 months I AM SO SORRY IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN TT_TT

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR TALENTED MAIN VOCAL! Can you even believe he's already 25? You can never say Yoseob looks like his age lol. *partying*

Anywaaay, if you beautiful people like the story so far spread the word~~~~~~~~~~

and sobs i am so lonely i need friends