(15) Just a Little Bit Of Meddling

Private Concert

[15]

“That was quite a mess you’ve made,” Yoseob chuckled, his head down. The smile in his voice was evident; I didn’t have to cast a glance at him twice to know that's he's really smiling.

“Hyojung-ssi is a very promising actress,” Dongwoon added. I laughed nervously and shortly objected his statement whilst stirring my hot coffee. The subject of the conversation quickly moved from my “promising acting” (which was a whole lie since it wasn’t even acting in the first place) to Hyunseung’s cravings for grilled beef. He was complaining about being treated to coffee for lunch instead of an actual meal, but Hayoon unnie was having none of his protests and ordered Yoseob to treat us coffee in the end. I, too, didn’t want to be part of this and insisted on staying in the office but to my dismay, Hayoon unnie is the ultimate boss and if she wants me there, she’ll get what she wants.

And if things couldn’t get any worse, Yoseob was sitting directly across from me. Just his mere presence gave me flashbacks of what happened earlier and I felt extremely uneasy on my seat. Finding ways not to look in front has never been this difficult.

It turned out that the lesson was done to evaluate the members’ fluency in Japanese, which explains the irrelevant questions. Yoseob wasn’t able to say anything while I was hysterically sobbing and was given the punishment of treating all the members and both Hayoon unnie and I coffee in Cube Café. We exchanged smiles before we stepped in even though I was slightly sulky.

I didn’t know I was stirring rather diligently until Hayoon unnie’s elbow nudged my side. I turned to her upon her second attempt to catch my attention.

 “You don’t look so well,” she commented with furrowed eyebrows, setting down her black mug. I shrugged and gave her a reassuring smile.

“You can’t say that when I’m drinking coffee, Hayoon-ssi. Of course I’m fine!” I beamed.

“That’s really hard to believe when you haven’t taken a sip yet.”

Her expression immediately turned blank before she shook her head in disbelief and went back to glugging down her coffee. I stared at the coffee that I’ve been stirring the whole time and sighed. I should be glad that I was able to drink free coffee but all I really wanted more than this drink was to go home.

Just as I was praying for a miracle to happen that would take me out of this place, a familiar ringtone rang inside my bag. Unhurriedly, I pulled out my handphone and answered it.

“Hello, this is ABC Hospital. Am I speaking to Song Hyori’s daughter?” an almost robotic voice said from the other line.

“Yes, this is Song Hyojung,” I affirmed and pressed further the phone against my ear. The café was getting packed and the increasing fans trying to get BEAST’s autograph wasn’t any help in toning down the voice either.

“Your mother is scheduled to be discharged today but your father, who’s supposed to fetch her isn’t available in the moment. It’s a strictly advised that a family member should be the one to check out the patient for she is still in a weak state. Your father has some business to do and called immediately and let us know that you will fetch your mother. Would it be alright for you to be here by 4pm?”

I looked at the clock. 3:23pm.

“Sure, it’s perfectly fine. How’s my mom doing?” I heard her lightly giggle.

“Mrs. Song is remarkably enthusiastic in her condition. You got a very lively mother.”

Ah, that sounds like my mom, alright.

“Thank you so much for taking care of her. I’ll be there as soon as possible,” I said before ending the call. I downed my coffee in one big sip, scorching my throat in the process.

“Wow, she drank it like it’s drinking water,” Junhyung remarked in awe.

“Says the guy who drinks soda and energy drinks after every meal,” Doojoon teased, and received a slap on the arm by the rapper.

"Hey, the coffee is still hot," Yoseob cautioned, almost too late. 

"Fire can't kill a dragon," I stated with pride, putting on my coat. "I'll be going to the hospital. Unnie, I'm free right now right?"

"Yeah, you may go.” 

"See you all tomorrow," I bid my farewell, slipping my phone back into my bag, already walking backwards. The boys all greeted back, creepily in unison. 

"Say hi to your mom for me!" Yoseob waved as I got to the door. I nodded and left quickly after seeing the confused looks of the other members. They're probably filled with so many questions and I don't want to be present as Yoseob answers them all. 

Before the door behind me closed, I heard the loud shriek of Hyunseung. 

"You know her mom?!"

~*~

It took me about 10 minutes before I successfully hailed a cab and plopped myself down on the backseat, only finally feeling the exhaustion. Too much happened in one day I was so mentally drained. 

"Ahjussi, to ABC Hospital, please."

"Oka- Oh! Aren't you the one chasing the person you deeply love?" 

My eyebrows shot upward, surprised by his sudden statement. I leaned forward and checked the taxi ahjussi's face, and sadly, I don’t recall his face at all. But judging his unexpected recall, he might really be the ahjussi from before and the embarrassment due to the uninvited flashback of that day of BEAST's charity concert was enough to give me a headache.

My silence made him think I had forgotten and he just had the nerve to narrate the whole thing in full detail. 

"You got on my taxi on the way to that charity concert. You were in such a hurry and you told me not to follow our hearts but to follow that van,” he stopped to guffaw and I felt extremely embarrassed I wanted to get into another cab. The humiliation makes me want to jump out of this moving vehicle.

“So you finally caught up with the love of your life, huh? How did it go for you?" Taxi ahjussi asked, overtaking a mini van. As much as I don't want to talk much about 'the love of my life', there was a heavy traffic ahead of us and it looked like it would take a while before we reach our destination. 

"Ah, well..."

"It's nice to be young and in love, isn't it?" he happily sang, tuning down the radio as a sign for me to tell him all about my ‘romantic’ story. 

A nervous laugh escaped my lips. "I was able to catch up to him..."

"You know, as you hopped off this car I was praying for you! Looks like my prayers have worked." he laughed heartily. "Tell me more."

"Um, that's it."

"Huh?"

"I did get to him but that's all there is to it. He isn't interested in the concept of romance. He's too busy with other things."

None of us spoke for a short while, just the radio DJ going on about a new album a rookie group has just released.

"Oh... That's too bad..."

I hung my head low and aloofly played with my bag's zipper. 

"How about you ahjussi? How's the taxi business? Any sasaeng problems?"

"Luckily, no sasaengs have been getting on this ride. Lots of drivers love having them because they could stay overnight and earn lots of money but I'm having none of that. It's like assisting someone on doing crimes."

I giggled, admiring his resolve. I checked the time on my phone and noticed I left the cafe too quickly even though I still got time. It was 3:38 and I'd probably arrive at the hospital, which was only a block away, in 15 minutes. 

"Do you want some love advices? I'm pretty great."

I wanted to scoff but held it in, not wanting to sound rude and all. 

"I'm fine, ahjussi, thank you."

"Aigoo, you look like you need one though. You sound really down and less enthusiastic than that time I saw you."

"Really?"

He laughed while hitting the stirring wheel. What is wrong with this ahjussi?

"Anyone would've noticed."

"Do you think he did too?" I mumbled. Am I too transparent? Did Yoseob just see through me and found out I have feelings for him which made him indirectly reject me? Or is he just really that observant that he can see right through people? Oooh my gooosh.

"What was that?" distracted, he asked.

Slightly distressed, I simpered and shook my head. "Nevermind."

~*~

"Hyojuuung!" my mom instantly pulled my arm before I get to greet her and chained hers unto mine as soon as she saw me. If I weren’t her daughter I’d think of her as a healthy and lively ahjumma visiting a sick relative instead of being the sick relative.

"The nurse said you're still in a weak state but you could literally drag me to hell with that strength." I bleated, earning a spank on the back. 

"Is that the first thing you say to your mother who was just discharged from the hospital? I didn't raise you like this!" she complained while pouting. 

Ignoring her retorts, I turned to the nurse to pay the hospital bill, in which she declined. 

"Mr. Song already paid," she said with a small smile. 

"I was waiting for your dad to arrive but he suddenly said he had things to do," my mom sulked. "We could've gone on a date."

Aware on her emphasis of the word "date", I rolled my eyes and sighed. 

"You can have your candlelit dinner when he gets home," I tiredly suggested, aiding her to the exit.

“Take care of yourself, halmeoni!” the nurse by the door said and my mom just gave her a tight smile. Oh, she wouldn’t like that…

After thanking the nurse, I hailed for a cab and surprisingly, a ride immediately before us. My mom was upset on being called a grandma and was silent for a half of the trip home. I opened my mouth to start a conversation but only a gasp escaped my lips as she hit my left arm.

“Hey, what was that for?” I nearly shrieked, alarmed with mom’s glare and slap on the arm that she held on for the five-minute trip from her hospital room to the taxi.

“That nurse called me halmeoni because she saw you holding me.”

I nearly huffed and could only look at her in disbelief. Even so, I thought mothers want their children to show love and support when they grow old? 

“You got so worked up on that? And mom, you were the one who held on me first.” 

“Yes, as a matter of fact, I was,” she said, and looked at the small, crystal stone embedded on the gold band that my dad slipped on her finger. “You haven’t even given me grandchildren yet.”

I breathed in and tried my best not to make eye contact with her since I saw it coming that this awkward mother-daughter conversation will go on a deeper turf. She laughed casually, although found it offensive, and it was my turn to shoot an angry stare at her.

“You know, that’s very rude, Hyojung.”

“Mom, can we not talk about this?”

“I just think that Yoseob’s a very sweet man.”

I was afraid that she would mention his name and afraid at how the mere mention of his name brings unwanted emotions that makes me want to just wrap myself around my thick blankets on my way to stop being a human and turn into a blanket burrito.

“Again, I’d like to repeat what I said, mom. This conversation’s off.”

The cab driver stopped and I paid for the fare even before she was able to get bills from her purse. I felt bad for just opening the door for her, but the guilt melted quickly as she had a coy expression etched on her face the moment she walked out of the car. Do I have any plans once we arrive at our apartment? Well, it might be a little lame but, door-slamming is my best option, although I cannot escape talks during dinner time. Should I call Hani? Yo- Nope. Nope, nope, nope. 

 

Hyojung's Mom's POV

 

Ah, classic Hyojung. An adult locks herself in her quarters because of a relationship problem. I noticed her bag on the table, hoping her phone was still there. What I did was a total interference with her privacy, but I could tell that the kids have a liking for each other, and with care, I put back her purse like nothing was taken and locked my room. I noticed the passcode she set on the phone and giggling, I entered her birth date and unlocked it right away, then quietly searched for Yoseob’s number.

Knowing Hyojung just carelessly left her beloved bag filled with her beloved belongings in the living room, she clearly has too much in mind to look for it any time soon. She's probably in her room talking to herself while looking at her reflection on the mirror. I’ve confronted her numerous of times to stop overthinking things for it would get her into trouble soon, but, seemingly, it’s the only way for her to confront the situations she’s in without asking help from me or her friends. In the end, she has found solutions to problems whilst looking at herself in the mirror it both makes me worried and relieved. She manages to stay sane after all her monologuing anyway.

Once I’ve found Yoseob’s number, I pressed the call option in his contact information. His tone when he greeted me was relaxing, as his voice was cheery yet smooth, but after hearing the boy sing I could gladly compare it to velvet. I wonder if he always talks to people with this tone of voice or this sweet voice of his can only be heard when he's talking to Hyojung. 

“Hyojungie! This isn’t an accidental call, right? You never call me first. This is the first time, isn’t it? Ah, now that you called me, let me talk about this place Junhyung told me all about that brews authentic coffee from Brazil. Even Dongwoon is addicted to it. You want to try it?”

“You sure talk a lot, Yoseob-ssi.”

There was a long pause on the other line. 

“Hyojung’s mom? Are you out of the hospital already? Do you feel better now?”

“Would I call you if I’m not? Thanks for your concern, by the way.”

“That’s good to hear!" he once again paused for a few seconds before continuing, "Say, if you have free time next month, I’d like to invite you to a musical I’m starring in. I’m currently on the way to our first practice right now. Moreover you called and honestly, I assumed that it was your daughter.”

I changed my tone with faked remorse. “Ah…”

“I didn’t mean that!” Yoseob was obviously alarmed, and I could not help myself into laughing at how truthful he was. “I should get you two tickets, then.”

“I’ll bring Hyojung, all right, considering that it’s a formal occasion, expect her in a dress, because that girl never wears one. And, oh don’t, dear, it’s already nice of you to personally invite us.” I wish I could see this boy’s expressions while we were having this conversation, but I can assume that Hyojung and Yoseob has not gone out yet, and I can imagine my daughter’s rage when the boy invites me for coffee prior to them going out.

“Great! Surely, Hyojungie doesn’t want us talking in secret, more so your husband. It’s not that I’m discouraging future conversations with you, eomeoni, but if you’d like to…”

“No, no. My daughter was a fan before, and I think she still is, so I have an inkling of how busy you are. Oh, and about her dad, don’t mind him.”

“Will courting her be a piece of cake, then?” Yoseob joked and honestly, I was a bit taken a back. 

“You still have to get through me, then her father.”

“Aw, that’s a shame. I’ll work hard, eomeoni. I’m sorry, but I've already reached my practice location. I have another surprise for you, but it’s on the same day as the gala night that I’m inviting you to. Please wait for it whole-heartedly!”

“You’re making me very curious, Yoseob-ssi. Do me a favor and please keep this a secret from Hyojung, all right? I’ll tell her when the time’s right.”

“As much as I hate keeping secrets, eomeoni, I will, since this was a pleasant surprise, and your daughter is bound for something wonderful with my performance on that night. I’ll do my best for you!”

“Bye now, Yoseob-ssi! It’s getting cold, I advice you to drink tea before going to bed. Unlike my daughter who can’t cut her caffeine intake, I think you can maintain your nice physique with it.”

“Thank you, eomeoni! One last thing, you should meet mom. She’d be grateful to me when I introduce you to her. And you can call me just Yoseob, eomeoni, it's fine by me!”

The other end of the line cut off, and I was impressed on how proper and good-speaking Yoseob was. He exceeded my expectations! Somehow the boy lifted my spirits and set me off in a good mood that afternoon to the point that after Hyojung woke up from her nap, she noticed it instantly.

“Mom, what’s for dinner?”

“I should be asking you that, dear.”

Hyojung was happily in disbelief. “I get to decide what to eat? You rarely ask me what you should cook for dinner..."

“There’s still the salad that I made in the fridge, so you’re going to eat that too, okay?”

Her smile turned upside down. "Salad? But-"

"No buts."

"But mom, salad and I aren't really great friends."

I faked slapping her arm once again. "Good heavens, this girl! Have you got no room for salad in that caffeine-filled stomach of yours?"

She shifted her eyes and looked away in guilt. "Well..."

"Forget it. Just decide what to have for dinner."

She smiled widely, it reached her sparkled-lit eyes. "I checked a food blog a while ago and there's this restaurant that I-"

I can't believe Song Hyojung is actually my daughter. 

"I'm not asking for a name of a restaurant, I'm asking for a name of a dish!" For the love of the heavens, this child is driving me crazy. 

She frowned and thought deeply, biting her lip. Here she goes again… This is going to take for hours.

After a long period of just staring at her while she thinks over what to have for dinner, she slackened her shoulder and heaved a sigh.

"Just surprise me mom," she gave up and shrugged, then lazed on the sofa, turning on the television. 

"I can't believe it though, mom," she started. “Did the hospital food make you this?”

I rejected her statement. “Maybe, or a certain boy.”

“Dad?” Hyojung guessed. 

“Go thank Yoseob.” 

"Ugh, not this again," she grunted. She lifted herself in a sitting position and loudly increased the volume of the television. Ah, if only she knew. 

 


 

A/N:

[kneels and bows my head down before all of you] I'm very, very, very, very sorry this took sooooo long and also because this chapter is a lil bit short I think? ToT I thought I'd be updating more on a regular basis after finishing high school but turns out I can't ;----; Writer's block is inevitable and I seem to be its ultimate victim way too often sobs

Aaand thank you Marijo for writing the Hyojung's Mom's POV and some of the few parts before that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST AND I LUV U AND APPRECIATE THE HECK OUT OF YOU ((((EHEHEHEHEHEHE))))) I editted and added a lot tho lol but really!!!! thank you!! (>3<)

 

Please comment or subscribe or both!! I love reading all your comments sometimes i even want to print them and frame it on my bedroom wall ;uu; That's all for now~ Please wait patiently for the next chapter coz I don't guarantee it will come out any time soon and I apologize in advance T^T