(16) Four Boxes and a Cookie

Private Concert

[16]

The sunlight was lighting up a part of the room, the drawn curtains keeping it from reaching my eyes and blinding me. It wasn't the sunlight that woke me up, and neither was my alarm clock. Ah, the delightful feeling of not being forced awake is a blessing. Nothing is more comfortable than where I am right now and I didn't mean to but I let 2 hours pass by before I actually got out of bed. 

I peered through the daylight to look at the time. 7:26am. The staff in CUBE that's present at this time is probably the group struggling to meet a deadline for a report and although I, too, needed something to finish (an arsenal of video files that needed to be subbed and I needed to review the kids' progress in Japanese) as soon as possible, I think I deserved another few minutes to laze around. 

Out of habit, I reached for my phone and before I knew it, I found myself on Naver's website looking at usual drama spoilers, comeback rumors, top released music, one dating scandal -

 

1. New Idol Dating Rumor

 

My ears twitched. Part of me wanted to avoid it because I, a full adult, don’t thirst for gossip anymore and don’t want to pry into other people’s relationships. Yet I disappointed myself a second later and clicked one of the searches out of curiosity. I'm such a horrible human being children should not look up on me.

It seemed that a member of an idol group, who's known for being a respectable singer, was seen dating this celebrity, rumored to be in the acting industry, in a nearby restaurant; and to keep the suspense, Dispatch didn't post the photos on the dot, but scheduled its release which will be on nighttime. They didn't even say if the idol member is a male or female. I frowned and stared at the article. Who could it be? It can't be Yoseob, he can't date...

But what if it's him? Maybe he can't date because he already is dating. Ah, that's not possible... But what if it's him? Human beings change their mind on a regular basis. It's natural, so why can't he? 

Upon being aware that I was being ridiculous and paranoid, I groaned and hit myself with the pillow I was formerly embracing. As I was being in a pillow fight with myself, my door swung open, revealing my mom in her pinkish pajamas. 

"Were you just hitting yourself?"

"Isn't it a common rule to knock first before entering?"

She laughed. "I have all the rights to open doors without knocking in this household. Anyway, breakfast is ready. You should come down quickly before the food gets cold."

"What time did you wake up to cook? You should be resting lots, Mom. I should be the one preparing breakfast."

"Don't worry too much! I only did this because I missed cooking breakfast for the 3 of us!"

I quickly stood up when I heard the three of us are all under the same roof, which happens once in a blue moon. My mom might be a hard worker, but my dad is a literal workaholic. He leaves early, and gets home late at night. Strangely, though, whenever I see him, he looks as healthy as ever. Unbelievable.

"Dad is here?"

"Drinking coffee, yeah."

I'd hop off my chair right now to run downstairs to meet him but after remembering our recent conversations from a week ago, which is him speaking 90% of the time, I'd rather eat breakfast somewhere else. 

"What's with that face? I think your dad has gotten over it now that you've got a job that you're satisfied with. Now wipe that frown off your face and join us for breakfast."

~*~

"So when are you coming back?"

Gotten over it my . 

"Dad. I have job now, and you know it. You even celebrated when I got in." I just wish to drink coffee in peace. 

"You were an asset to the company. I didn't realize that a few months after you left."

"That's just really how it is, dad. We don't realize the value of something until it's gone. Also, I couldn't stand working in a prejudicial environment. And I wasn't even a full employee yet! I'd die if I worked there even longer."

I wasn't even angry anymore. Just tired of the same old conversation. Dad looked like he wanted to argue more but I had to dismiss the topic. He's disappointed but I won't stop him from feeling that way. I may worry a lot about the decisions that I take but I never regretted leaving that place. 

"Can you ask me something else, please, Dad? Like, have you been eating well? Have you been resting well? Do you already have a boyfriend? A girlfriend, maybe? You know, have a normal conversation between father and daughter?

"Are you sure you want to continue this conversation because I'd really rather talk about how much I prefer Brazilian coffee over those expensive ones sold in Gangnam."

He heaved a withdrawn sigh and put down his cup of coffee. 

"I prefer Brazilian coffee, too."

A voice chimed from the kitchen. "Speaking of Brazilian coffee, someone told me about a cafe just around the corner that brews Brazilian coffee!!! Instead of quarreling about the past, why not go there together and bond just like how fathers and daughters should, okay?"

Mom walked out of the kitchen with a tray of cookies on her hands. She had the most cheerful expression on her face and honestly, that's scarier than her infuriated. 

"Dear, let go of what has gone by and just let Hyojung live her life. She's an adult now who can make decisions without us holding her back. And Hyojung, honey, maybe you should be a little more polite in your words?" she said this so sweetly and we could only gulp and fear for our throat. Dad and I nodded slowly. 

"Hyojung you should not be late for work. Take a bath already and remember to give out these cookies."

I squinted to get a better look at the cookies nicely wrapped in thin decorated plastic with a thin ribbon tying it closed. 

"What's the occasion, mom?" 

"I wanted to make cookies kind of occasion. And you, honey," she grinned at me and then looked at my dad, "help me wash the dishes."

"Yes, dear."

~*~

I forgot I moved all of my work clothes in my apartment. What's worse, the only clothes left are those that deserve to be in the cabinet forever. I'm not too fond of dresses because they make me uncomfortable and what's worse: these are date dresses. Dresses that I childishly bought to impress a certain past boyfriend. I'd go back to the apartment to change into appropriate clothes for an office employee but the travel time would consume all of the minutes I should be spending inside CUBE. I couldn't borrow mom's clothes either...maybe except for a cardigan...

I settled for the dark blue collared dress that I wore in an aquarium date. I only wore it once and in that one time a bird decided it was a lovely day for it to discharge its waste on it. I never used it again after tossing it in the laundry basket. A horrible memory. 

"So you do have a boyfriend?" my dad raised both brows as I walked down the stairs to ask my mom if she possibly has a black cardigan she could let me borrow. I laughed and shook my head. That was enough for an answer. 

"You only wear dresses for dates so I thought..." he drawled, flipping the pages of the newspaper. 

"The proper word to use is 'often', dad. I wore one in my first day in that company."

"Still no plans on coming back?"

I gave him a sweet smile. "Nope."

"Do you think mom has a black cardigan?"

"You asked at the wrong time. She gave out that one to our neighbor."

In the end, I walked out of the house with a bright yellow cardigan covering my arms. Hideous, I know. Rin is going to give me a good scolding once she sees me walking on the streets like this. I'm a walking primary color chart with these red shoes! A walking embarrassment, a big joke, I could see middle schoolers giving me those looks. This is unfair. You all marvel at 2NE1 when they wear those neon tights on the streets and give me this kind of glances! I wished I could teleport to mine and Hayoon's office that instant. 

I was contemplating on whether I should get rid of this cardigan and freeze on my way to CUBE building or let myself be a human box of Crayola when I heard a group of junior high school students chatting about the dating rumor Dispatch is going to confirm by nighttime. My thoughts about Yoseob suddenly resurfaced and I dismissed them all instantly. There's a very slight chance of it happening and I don't want to entertain any more idea of it. 

That was my resolve until I arrived in CUBE. I saw Yoseob at the back of my eye, hastily walking towards the exit, obviously in a rush. While waiting for the elevator to come down, I watched his back, half of me thinking if he might have left the lights on his house and is panicking, and the other half wondering why in the world was he carrying a bouquet. 

Is he late for a date? The image of that #1 rumor made me furrow my brows. That can't be, right? No one can just get a girlfriend overnight, right? Or is today the day he and his girlfriend decide to go public? And then they'll confess to everyone that they've been dating for 11 months and they are crazy in love and have so much in common. Was I overthinking again? Okay, but, what if? What if I was right? Does it mean Yoseob has been rejecting and lying me all this time? What if h-

"Hyojung-ssi, are you not getting in?" I was cut from my trance when a staff from the advertising department tapped my shoulder. Nodding stupidly, I clumsily got in the elevator with her, trying not to let the paper bags tear from the bottom. 

"Do you need help with those?" 

"Ah, no, I'm good. Here, have a cookie." 

"Are you, like, campaigning right now?" she teased, unwrapping the plastic covering the snack. After taking a bite, she gleefully waltzed inside the small space we're in and bumped the wall in bliss. 

"The flavor is divine! Did you make this, Hyojung-ssi?"

I laughed and shook my head. "Of course not!  My mom made it."

"Wow, she's a pro! The marshmallow inside made the cookie more heavenly~"

I showed her all the bags I was holding. "I got more! You can share them to the people in your department."

"Aw, sweetie, we'd be glad to receive those cookies. I'll take, maybe, 12? It's a busy day for all of us?"

I gave her another bag of cookies and surprisingly, the cookies left were still in great number! What is my mom even made of to make so much scrumptious cookies?

As soon as she hopped off the elevator, who came in next almost had me dropping the bag of goods. Miri changed the way she did her makeup again and at a quick glance, I thought a mirror magically appeared in front of me. We really do have the same eyes when she changes her eye makeup!

"Good morning, Miri-ssi!" I gave myself a mental high-five, surprised I didn't stutter throughout the whole sentence. She still frightens me without fail.

"Oh, it's Song Hyojung. Good morning." I noticed her forcing a smile and though that smile could've fooled anyone thinking Miri right now is in a pretty decent mood, the slightly frowned eyebrow said it all. She was upset about something and I don't want to know why. 

"You seem... pretty down. Do you want a cookie?"

"What are you, some kind of girl scout?" she laughed bitterly, acting like she was uninterested but she was peeking at the paper bag that I was carrying anyway. "But sure, let me have one. I'll eat it during my break."

The dreadful awkward silence was hanging in between us, it felt like the whole elevator ride was taking for hours. Miri had her arms crossed, tapping her foot impatiently and probably gritting her teeth. What is frustrating her this time? An irresponsible coworker? Was she having toilet problems again? A deadline, perhaps? The dating rumor? 

"Miri-ssi, are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm good," she nodded, like she was also convincing herself. "Just feel cheated on or something like that."

"Oh."

It didn't take long before what I guessed would be her talking about what happened between us before will really happen. 

"Seems like you're not taking my words to heart. Not that I care anymore, though."

She must have heard about yesterday. "I'm pretty stubborn."

"Tell me something I don't know." The elevator stopped at the floor she was getting off and she quickly walked away, waving at me as she stepped out of the lift. 

Right that second, I was fully convinced that Yoseob was certainly going out with someone. The way my stomach churned at the thought made me full unpleasant but I couldn't do anything but sigh. Of course this would happen. This is how it works in the real world. 

~*~

Yoseob aside, I chose to set him aside and worry about how my eyes were intensely burning. I know CUBE is somewhat trying to satisfy international fans by subbing some their own videos in English, but having only myself to do the work is really unfair. I mean, translating all 34 videos in English is alright. But when I'm even told to sub each and one of them in Japanese in Chinese is just really too much. Am I the only employee subbing here?

"Unnie~" I wailed, outstretching both of my arms on my desk.

"What is it?" Hayoon's annoyed voice spread all over the room. I toned down the loudspeaker and spoke again. 

"Unnie, I'm very exhausted right now," I sighed deeply. "I did 12 videos already but I still haven’t subbed half of the videos assigned to me. Isn't this kind of harsh?"

"Just take over the job right now while I'm gone. I'll make it up to you soon,” she replied nonchalantly. 

"Translating to English is fine but also in Japanese and Chinese? How am I supposed to do these in one day?" 

Honestly, I'm very confident in subbing all of these in a day, it's just I needed to vent and have someone to complain to as I rest. It might sound weird, but I do a lot of works quickly if I complain all the time. How that works, I don't know myself. And it somewhat happened that Hayoon and I are already (I hope) comfortable enough to share opinions about work, positive or not.  

"Look, Hyojung, you're getting paid for this. Don't complain. Oh, right. I got some documents and books scheduled to be delivered today. When you're on break, could you check the reception if there are any packages sent to me? Work hard, Hyojung-ah. I'm hanging up."

"Wait-" Guess I'm the only one comfortable enough to complain and be annoying around her. 

I rubbed my eyes and faced - my problems - the computer once again. 22 videos left. Yay. 

~*~

Finishing the videos wasn't that much of an achievement. I was tired, I used up all of my eye drops, and I was seriously in need of ice cold coffee. Moreover, I haven't done Hayoon unnie's errand yet. Groaning and rather disinclined to go back to the lobby, I left the room and unhurriedly walked to the reception. Hyein greeted me cheerfully before I asked for the deliveries. 

"You're on the afternoon shift now?"

"Yeah, just got assigned two days ago," she replied, all smiles. "Do you need something?"

"Is there a delivery for Yoon Hayoon?" I inquired. Hyein flipped over some papers and scanned a pile of boxes on the other side of the counter. 

"Yep. They just came in. Four boxes, right?"

I felt something in me fell. Was I hearing correctly? Four boxes? Four boxes filled with papers and books? Four freaking boxes? Is Hayoon planning on building a mini library?

"Four of them? Are you sure they're supposed to be four?” I leaned over the counter and searched for the boxes. 

She checked them for the second time, and then the third time, then she nodded. "They're all sent to Yoon Hayoon-ssi, right? All the four boxes are for her."

"Seriously?" I breathed. Hyein, one by one, lifted the boxes on the reception table. She didn't make them look heavy and for a second I was relieved. 

"Wow, did she expect me to carry all of those?" I complained. 

"You can use the cart, but unfortunately, the elevators are under construction. An employee got stuck on the fourth floor so the operators are checking up on what’s wrong with it. Should I call the guards to help you out?"

"Ah, no. I'll just make trips. Thanks, by the way!" 

I started by stacking two boxes first and grunted once they were set in my arms. It wasn't heavy, but I was terribly weak. I didn't have coffee this morning since Mom insisted I drank orange juice instead. I know for a fact that orange juice is a great source of Vitamin C, but Vitamin C alone won't help me carry two boxes. In my defense, I think coffee would make me carry 4 boxes. It's a psychological thing. 

Taking my time to regain my balance, and making sure I can see where I was walking despite the boxes almost covering my vision, I walked slowly and cautiously. I thought I was already close to the stairs, but when Hyein spoke, I realized I was still only a few feet away from the reception. I felt like the ugly duckling who's still learning how to walk. 

"Aigoo, looking at you makes my muscles hurt! Let me help you! Oh- Yoseob-ssi!"

The mention of the name almost made me falter. Grunting, I turned slightly to see him. Once I saw him hurrying towards the reception, towards where I was walking away from, I turned to where I was originally facing, and started walking slowly, trying hard to be discreet. He looks so good in a denim jacket, it was distracting, making me want to hit myself (and him, if that would stop him from being so effortlessly breathtaking) with the boxes. But throwing the boxes with documents much more important than my own existence at one of the company's very important idols would be the reason why I'll be kicked out of CUBE and I'll end up jobless, homeless, and I'll eventually die. I wouldn't like that. 

"Yoseob-ssi, how was your date?" I overheard Hyein cheerfully ask. Yoseob didn't reply anything, but he did laugh. Out of embarrassment, I don't know, I wasn't looking. I didn't want to look. In fact, I didn't want to listen either. But there I was, still walking slowly, not because I was being cautious of the important documents falling from my own hands, but because I was overly intrigued. 

"I wouldn't call it a date," he denied. I overheard again. Afraid I'd be hearing more of this conversation, and getting caught in the act in the process, I sped up and the next thing I knew, I tripped sideways while balancing the stacked boxes. I think I twisted my ankle, but I paid no heed to it; I got to run. Panicking, I quickly stood up and picked up the boxes, surprisingly effortlessly, and struggled to quickly stride towards the stairs while intensely praying nobody knew it was I who fell while just casually carrying two boxes. If I could go back in time, I’m going to surely pay more attention in PE class.

Yoseob wouldn't even know who embarrassingly and akwardly fell just because of two boxes if Hyein hadn’t yelled in panic and concern. Nobody could have known that girl was Song Hyojung. After feeling pain in my right hip and elbow, I thought I should be included in A Series of Unfortunate Events. I'd be finished off by Count Olaf as early as the first chapter.

"Oh my god, Hyojung-ssi, are you okay?!" she loudly cried. I bit my lip and violently nodded my head, already almost by the corner. Nobody chased me to help me carry the boxes once I reached the stairs, and that gave me so much relief. But the relief didn't even last a second. I've walked into a nightmare. It was wrong for me to hold a short celebration in my head and that celebration didn’t even last for three seconds.

"Should I carry one of those?" There goes my escape route.

I turned my neck and saw Yoseob, looking at me, eyebrows knitted in worry, already carrying the other two boxes. 

"Who told you to carry those?" 

"After seeing you slip and fall like that, I can't let you carry two boxes again." He looked at me, and then at the boxes, silently coaxing me to hand over one of them. "Come on, Hyojungie."

I scowled at him, and his smile even grew wider. Again, I wanted to throw the boxes to his face to stop him for being so frustratingly adorable. Knowing he would only get what he wants in the end anyway, I sighed and met his eyes once again. 

"Well since you're suddenly so into carrying boxes..."

Giving up, I set the two boxes on the floor and took one to place on top of one of the boxes that he's already lifting. 

"Thank you~" he said in a tone higher than normal and walked ahead the stairs, me following behind him. 

"Hey, Yoseob," I called, easily climbing the stairs now that I'm only carrying one box. I must remind myself to thank him later and then give my hurting hip a massage.

Yoseob, though he's carrying thrice the boxes I was holding, is having no trouble walking to the second floor. As expected of someone who's working out to be Hulk 2.0.

"Hm?" 

"You didn't tell me about your date," I said in a teasing tone used by a betrayed friend. He chuckled, saying "You too, Hyojungie?" after a chuckle. 

We stopped before the staff room and I told him to just leave the boxes behind the door. Although I have no right to, I felt borderline bleak. 

"I'll take it from here," I said, bold enough to look him in the eye. "Uh... congratulations!"

"Hey, why are you like that?" 

"Isn't it common to congratulate a friend who just got from a date?" 

"I don't think so?" he replied, still holding the boxes. "I've never heard of someone being congratulated after coming from a date."

"Oh, guess it's just me."

I may or may not be wasting my time talking to him. I was very unsure whether to feel upset at him, although I know I'm still not at that stage where he can tell me personal information. In the end, I've come to feel even more distraught at myself for feeling this. I was being unreasonable and needed to know my place.

"I'll see you around," I said, pulling the door. I pulled the boxes towards me using my feet and keeping the door open using my hip, I bent down and picked up a box. 

"You sure you don't need help?" 

"It would really reflect on me badly when everyone will see you helping me. I can do this."

"But there are no people inside."

I looked at the room and really, we were the only ones there, except for the ahjumma who's probably in charge of doing reports. "That's strange..."

"They're called because of the Japan tour. Maybe."

"I wouldn't like to trust your theories after that incident." I teased, taunting him. 

He looked at me, agape, and then sneered. "What's up with everyone making fun of me today?"

I stared at him blankly, confused. Did the BEAST boys prank him this morning?

"I was carrying flowers to offer to the musical co-actors but everyone said I was going on a date. I didn't have enough time to prepare gifts so I just went on with flowers. Is that weird?"

Okay.

That’s it.

The world believed that it was a beautiful day fitted to play with a young adult’s feelings.

Everything that happened this day somehow proved my presumptions so I was completely convinced. Then, why was Miri feeling cheated on? Because of work? 

"You're horrible in picking flowers, seriously." was the only thing I said, not absorbing the entirety of the situation. Was I jealous? Well, yeah, I got to admit, but-

"Why?" It was funny how he even found that surprising. 

"It's like you're going to propose to your co-actors. You should’ve brought yellow poppies instead. They symbolize success.”

"I didn’t know you’re a flower expert,” his lips curled up mischievously, but when I matched the same playful expression on his face, his smirk turned into a mellow smile. Yang Yoseob was being charming again and this shouldn't be the time for me to be smitten!

“I’m pretty knowledgeable when it comes to flowers. Maybe it’s time for me to quit this job and start a flower shop,” I went on and received a chuckle from the singer. "I saw you leave the building while carrying the bouquet and I instantly thought you were going on a date. Most people would think so."

"Were you jealous?" the amusement in his voice was so obvious. He's enjoying this, isn't he?

"You need to do more to make me feel jealous." A total lie. 

He flashed me one of his captivating smiles again before peering at the interior of the room.

“Any plans of letting me inside?” he remarked.

I glowered at him and moved aside to not block the entrance. Yoseob smoothly went inside while I was still holding the door open. 

"Are you making fun of me?" I called out and followed him. He kept on looking around so I assume it was his first time here. 

"Where do you stay?" he ignored me once again. 

"That door, over there." I answered anyway. 

He opened the door with ease, still holding the two boxes. I shuffled to where he is, waiting for him to come inside so I could get inside, too. Surprisingly, he just stayed there.

"Hey, Hyojungie, why is it so cold here?!" he turned, his expression a mix of dread of and bemusement.

"Never got in an air-conditioned room before?" I thought it was normal to have a room with this kind of temperature. He made it look like we just stepped into Antarctica. 

"How could you, a person who drinks scorching hot coffee survive in this iceland?"

I rolled my eyes and went ahead, releasing the weight from my hands and setting them on Hayoon's desk. I went back to Yoseob and carried one box he was holding into the room, him instinctively closing the door afterwards.

"You're overreacting."

"I'm not even joking. I think I'm going to freeze here," he complained, saying his words too quickly as he set the last box on the same place where I placed them. 

"It's not like you're even going to stay for an hour here. Don't you have practice?" 

He looked at me as if I've grown an extra nose, and pressed his hand against his chest with a hurt expression painted on his face, faking being in pain. "Are you making me leave?"

I snorted, being kind enough to rise the temperature, saying the word "Happy?" to him, then received a happy nod from the vocalist. Adorable devious constantly getting what he wants. 

"Shouldn't you be on your way?"

"You making me leave is really depressing."

"It's not that. I mean, don't you have any more schedules? Recordings? Dance practice?" Please leave me alone with my feelings.

"I still have time to idle around. This place is interesting."

"It's really boring."

"Because you've been here for months already. It's my first time. Oh! Hayoon-ssi keeps candies on her desk?"

"Ah, yeah. She says it keeps her awake. It's off-limits, though. When Rin took a candy, she found out and she was infuriated." 

"Wow."

After that, I only silently watched him roam around the boring office while I sit down comfortably on the guest couch. Looking at Yoseob, I remember all the circumstances we've been through together. Our private Japanese lessons weren't often, but it felt like we've been meeting each other inside that vacant recording room time after time. Though I know he oftentimes serenades Yanggaeng, the way he sings to me when he needs to review his Japanese translating skills makes me feel special. Though it's a subject of his need because it's required for him to grow as a global artist, I felt happy, and that's all that ever matters to me. 

My eyes were glued on him. Every movement, I found myself admiring him even more. The way he walks. The way he reaches for a book in the shelf that's probably not a book because it might be Hayoon unnie's photoalbum. The way he smiles at his mistake after he found out he really grabbed a photo album instead of an actual book. How he looks tall despite being the smallest member. He’s just wonderful. 

In that short moment, I found myself wanting to be nearer to him. I didn't want to stop liking Yoseob. Giving up on him would mean giving up on someone who's the cause of even bit of my happiness. Maybe I don't need to confess, maybe I only need to cherish simple moments like these. And that's enough. Staying by his side as a friend is enough. Knowing I can be of help to him is enough.

At that moment, I was completely absorbed in this admiration. In the middle of being lost in the thoughts of him, I found a resolution within myself.

Well if it isn't about damn time. 

"Hyojungie?"

"Hm?"

"What are you thinking right now?"

I blinked. He crouched down, maintaining the same eye level as me. My palms were sweating, so I kept both of my hands pressed on the edge of the seat. I can't even think straight. My mind was terribly blank, but I was unexpectedly calm, the worst and most confusing combination ever. 

"You?"

The sound of his laugh reverberated in my ears. "You sound quite unsure. What about me?"

I looked at him and my heart did a little hop when our eyes met. I forgot how to breathe, a lump forming in my throat. I will never get tired of that slight race of my heart and the never-ending knot forming inside my stomach though I would really appreciate it if they’d give out a warning first because the way my heart jumped like that really caught me off guard.

"You, I can’t even find the words to describe you."

He tilted his head slightly to the side, still showing that gorgeous smile of his. "Is that a good thing?"

I smiled gently, tilting my head in the same direction to keep my hair from blocking my vision, to see him clearly. 

"Who knows?"

His smile is art in itself.

"Hyojungie." 

"What?"

He was about to speak when someone knocked on the door thrice. Yoseob immediately went on his feet and I, flustered, quickly ran to the door to see the person who cluelessly ruined a moment so beautiful I thought I could tell to my grandchildren.

"Hyojungie! Sorry to bother you, but the guys want more cookies and I was wondering if you... Oh, Yoseob-ssi!" the lady from the advertising department talked too fast. Yoseob bowed as a greeting, confused where to position himself in the room.

After exchanging greetings, the lady turned me, almost already forgetting that Yoseob was in the same room as us. 

"Anyway, we're wondering if you still got some?"

"Yes, of course, I got loads! You need more 12?"

She snapped her fingers. "You guessed it right. I'm sorry," she turned to Yoseob next, "were you two in the middle of something?"

"No, I just helped her carry some boxes."

The lady nodded and went out casually with six cookies in both hands. She just about skipped outside and left us there surrounded with an awkward atmosphere.

"Uh, so, what were you going to say?" I hesitantly started, sorting out the cookies. I had a hard time breathing the moment I felt him close, Yoseob trying to grab the snack, in which I impulsively moved the box further away from him. He shook his head while chuckling and then uttered a small ‘never mind’. 

"Now I'm curious. What were you going to tell me?"

"I said never mind."

"Or you'll never get this cookie~" I challenged him, raising the cookie with one hand, swaying it like a hand watch. Yoseob looked like he never really wanted the snack, but after being challenged like that, he quickly attempted to grab the cookie. I dodged right on time and shuffled to Hayoon's desk, carrying the whole paper bag, unknowingly starting a chase between the two of us. Just because of a damn cookie. I thought only children did this stuff?

"Hyojungie, you've forgotten that I'm actually taller than you."

"Please don’t underestimate me," I managed to speak, hugging the paper bag like it's my last life.

"What are you two doing?" 

I stopped right on my tracks and completely froze when Hayoon suddenly appeared by the doorframe. I had no time to process whether she just came in or was here since the lady arrived. Surprised and completely defenseless, Yoseob sneakily snatched the cookie from my hands. 

"Unnie! Weren't you included in the meeting?"

"No," she replied straightforwardly, setting her bag on her desk. "We won't be going to do the concert anyway."

"What?" I asked but then notice I was not the only one who asked the same thing. I looked at Yoseob who looked just as surprised as I am then looked back at Hayoon. 

"But weren't you told that-"

"Seems like Miri found a translator that was working with the concert organizers in Japan. We thought we could be assigned after the translator refused and found some complications with his schedule just a while ago but then he called again and said he could interpret for BEAST. He's a really complicated person. Constantly inconsistent people who change their minds a lot aren't really the most productive colleagues."

I could only sigh and nod in consideration. 

"I see. So we'll just be left here?"

"Seems like it, yeah."

"Cheer up, you two! There are a lot more overseas concerts to come and I'd personally ask the CEO to let you translate for us." 

I turned to Yoseob in skepticism. "You can do that?"

"I see you still don't know the extent of my capabilities, Song Hyojung-ssi." 

"You're joking."

He shrugged and walked to the door after bowing to Hayoon. "Thanks for the cookie, Hyojungie! You need to de-stress once in a while, too, Hayoon-seonsaengnim~ Excuse me."

Hayoon turned to me with a serious expression on her face after Yoseob carefully closed the door. 

"Back to my question: what were you two just doing?"

I felt my heart move, thankfully not too violently. "He was stealing a cookie..."

"Just for a cookie?"

"You'd be surprised if you heard that cookies awakens the child in all of us." 

Hayoon rolled her eyes yet I saw a small smile on her thin lips. She sat on her desk and popped a candy in . 

"He looked really disappointed, you know."

"Really?"

"He must really like you to be there."

"You're pulling my leg, unnie."

"You should know by now that I'm inept in making jokes."

At the same time the kakaotalk notification tone rang. 

YS: I wasn't able to say it but that dress looks good on you, Hyojungie! You're probably upset right now but I hope our stage can cheer you up and make you feel you aren't that too far away from us. We'll show you we learned a lot in our classes together! ^^

“You really have a weird smile on your face that says something in the lines of ‘I could die happily right now.’”

She wasn't lying. This dress wasn't so bad after all.

~*~

Turns out it was Lee Minho and Suzy. I freaked out over this... Ah, how embarrassing. They're a great couple, though. I hope they last long.

 


 

A/N: YALL THOUGHT I WAS DEAD BUT I AINT

hello im back again after 25894263985460 years with a weird update :D i don't know if this is good enough to be posted after being gone for so long but i really did try my best to make this chapter interesting T^To 

anyway! i hope you all streamed and voted from ribbon because it's a really great song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the boys never disappoint TuT 

please comment and keep on supporting beast~ let's all trust beast and walk with them on a flowery path together!