f i v e

Animal Inside

 

 
 
"Hyung what are we doing?" A pair of voices chorused.
 
"Kai, Sehun," he said, preoccupied. "Give it a rest."
 
The two younger boys fell into step in the middle of the group.
 
"Are you sure we're going the right way?" Baekhyun whined.
 
Chanyeol punched his arm. "That's a joke, right?"
 
"We're going the right way." Yixing shuddered. "It's hard to miss his stench."
 
"I thought that was Chen." Xiumin chuckled. 
 
Luhan and Tao glanced at each other before simultaneously slapping him in the back of the head.
 
"What's the big deal with this guy anyway?" Kyungsoo's arms were crossed over his chest as he lingered toward the back. Chanyeol swept in behind him to speed him along.
 
"He makes me physically ill." Yixing said in a low voice.
 
"Everything makes you ill, pansy." Kyungsoo scoffed.
 
A growl ripped from Yixing's throat as he lunged for his junior. Kyungsoo dodged the attack as Chen and Baekhyun took up either side of Yixing.
 
"Who's in charge here?" He asked raspily.
 
"I don't answer to you." Kyungsoo spat. "Suho's alpha too."
 
Suho stood and watched the scene silently.
 
"There's no need to make a fuss." Luhan circled the group. "We don't need any added stress."
 
Tao caught something on the wind and took off.
 
"Let's move." Suho and Yixing said in synchronization.
 
The group chased the scent down an alleyway and found Tao carefully skirting the loner.
 
"There's too many of you to travel with any stealth." Kris stated, hands in his pockets.
 
"We'd just like to have a word with you." Suho said diplomatically.
 
"That's doable, I supposed." Kris nodded. His gaze shifted to Yixing. "How're you feeling, pup?"
 
"Who are you calling a pup, nomad?" He gritted his teeth. Tao took his spot at Yixing's shoulder and stood at attention with the others.
 
"Do you know what you are?" Suho approached him carefully. "Or what you're capable of?"
 
"Obviously you don't." Kris growled.
 
"Quite the opposite." Suho chuckled. "I'm just like you."
 
"What does he mean 'just like you'?" Sehun nudged Chanyeol, who shook his head.
 
"I thought I smelled it on you." Kris smirked. "That's why that one keeps getting sick."
 
Yixing glared.
 
"What are you both talking about?" Xiumin looked between them.
 
"Would you do the honors?" Suho gestured toward the group. He turned to face them.
 
"I'm the loner, Kris." He clasped his hands together. "And I'm an alpha."
 
"But we already have two alphas." Kyungsoo held up Yixing's side.
 
Suho grinned at the sudden camaraderie.
 
"Technically speaking." He cleared his throat. "I was born an alpha and I'm head of half of the pack."
 
They waited for him to continue.
 
"Yixing's in charge of the other half but he's a beta." He nodded. "Kris is a natural-born alpha."
 
"You're a little small for an alpha." Kris muttered.
 
"I'm a grower." Suho shrugged. "Not a shower."
 
"Hyung!" Kai choked.
 
Kris chuckled. "Unfortunately, if my assumptions are correct, I regret to inform you that I'm not interested in joining your pack. I'm a loner for a reason."
 
"Are you sure? You can have Yixing's place." Suho offered.
 
"Excuse me." Yixing's eyes bore into Suho's forehead.
 
"I'll pass." Kris slipped past the pack, bound for the exit of the alleyway.
 
"Who would turn down an offer like that?" Baekhyun blinked.
 
Yixing growled and he backed up.
 
"It's strange though." Suho mused. "What kind of person turns that down?"