t e n

Animal Inside

 

"Morning, Jeah." Kori said cheerfully, walking through the door of the cafe.
 
Jeah did her best to return the salutation but she was exhausted having been kept up all night, haunted by her newfound knowledge.
 
Thankfully, Kori didn't notice while she was busy trying to open for the day.
 
As soon as she flipped the sign on the door to 'open', Kris walked through the door. Jeah scurried behind the counter.
 
"Hey Kris-"
 
"One cup of black coffee." He said stoically, looking straight past her. "To go."
 
Jeah shook her head slowly. "Kris, are you-"
 
"I'm fine." He still wouldn't look down at her.
 
She stepped away and prepared his coffee, watching him out of the corner of her eye. He continued looking dead ahead. She finished and handed him the cup, almost dropping it when she'd realized.
 
"Oh my god, what happened?" She reached over across the counter to try and touch the space between his collarbone and shoulder.
 
It was ridden with tiny holes, very obviously bite marks if you knew what you were looking for.
 
Kris jumped back as her finger barely graced his skin. He laid the money for the coffee down on the counter and left without saying a word.
 
"What was that about?" Kori joined her behind the counter, watching the door after he'd left.
 
"Nothing." Jeah shook her head and picked up a rag to start cleaning tables.
 
But Kori egged on. "Did something happen between you two?"
 
"I said it's nothing so just give it a rest." She barked, momentarily turning her back on her work just in time to see her best friend's face shatter.
 
"You're not the only one having problems, you know." Kori said softly. "Something's bothering him and he won't tell me so I can fix it."
 
Jeah stood silently, pressing her lips together.
 
"What if it's me?"
 
"It's not." Jeah said bluntly. "Don't ask but trust me."
 
Kori was about to open to speak when the bell over the door jingled. The customer waved awkwardly.
 
"What can we get for you?" Jeah asked, leaning back onto the table she'd just finished cleaning.
 
"Just something to eat." She nodded once. "I've recently left home and I'll eat just about anything."
 
Kori's maternal instincts went into hyperdrive just then and started flapping her arms.
 
"We'll get you something, okay? Do you need anything else?"
 
"Don't smother her." Jeah warned.
 
"You two sound like you're a couple." The customer laughed.
 
"If things keep going like this we might as well." Kori scoffed before shuffling into the kitchen to make their guest some breakfast.
 
"Make yourself comfortable." Jeah said, retrieving a glass of juice for her as she sat on one of the barstools.
 
The customer thanked her and pushed her hair behind her ear.
 
Jeah caught a glimpse of a long, silver scar running along her hairline.
 
"What's your name?" She asked, pulling her eyes away.
 
"Byul." She grinned after taking a sip.
 
"Do you want a job?"