e l e v e n

Animal Inside

 

 
 
Kris stared blankly at the stranger.
 
She stared back, unamused. "Can I help you?"
 
"Where's..?" He trailed off.
 
"Busy." The new employee said. "What can I get you?"
 
"The usual: black coffee." Jeah blew past her, not looking up. "Morning, Byul."
 
Byul nodded her salutations as she prepared his order.
 
"Where'd you come from?" Kris asked, narrowing his eyes.
 
"A uterus." She said nonchalantly, passing his drink over the counter. "Will that be all?"
 
He stood, dumbfounded by her brashness and nodded slowly before backing out of the cafe. He stared at Jeah briefly through the window and headed down the street with his eyes glued to the pavement.
 
Instinctively, his head snapped up in time for him to run into Suho and Yixing.
 
"We need to talk."
 
Suho poked his tongue against his cheek. "Alright, go."
 
"I joined your stupid pack." Kris breathed shallowly. "Now let me see her."
 
Suho inclined his head toward Yixing. "You're the one in charge of him. What's the verdict?"
 
Yixing looked at Kris's black eyes, nodding once.
 
With that, Kris pushed past them without a word.
 
"You're welcome!" Suho called after him, only to be replied with a middle finger pointed toward him. Yixing brushed it off and led the way into the cafe.
 
He met Jeah's glare as soon as he stepped inside. He swallowed and proceeded. "Where's Kori?"
 
"In the back." Jeah said evenly before sending Byul to retrieve her, whose eyes hardened at the sight of Suho. They waited until the room was empty.
 
"You didn't tell her, did you?"
 
"It's not my place to do." Jeah stated, eyes glued to her paperwork in front of her. Yixing sighed in relief.
 
"Where'd you get the stray?" Suho craned his neck to see into the kitchen.
 
"I've seen your handywork firsthand." She glared at him. "I don't owe you anything let alone any answers."
 
Suho raised his hands in the gesture of resign. "Fine."
 
Kori came out and Suho tucked his hands behind his back.
 
"What's up?" Kori asked lightly. The skin around her lips was pulled tightly as she made an effort to smile.
 
"I just wanted to see you." Yixing grinned. Kori's expression softened slightly. He grabbed her wrist and lead her to the table in the corner of the shop, catching Jeah's glare out of the corner of his eye.
 
 
 
 
"Byul, I think you're done for the day." Jeah said, looking around the desolate cafe. "You're free to go."
 
Byul nodded and took off her apron, folding it carefully and placing it behind the counter.
 
"Are you sure you don't need anything?" Kori joined them, wielding a bag of leftovers she was taking home.
 
"I'm sure." Byul nodded. "My apartment isn't far."
 
"If you say so." Kori bit her lip. Byul waved goodbye and stepped outside.
 
"Liar."
 
Her head snapped around. "Excuse me?"
 
"You're lying." He said, pushing off the brick wall. "You don't even have an apartment."
 
"I don't know who you are," Byul started to back away. "But you need to leave-"
 
She turned to leave and he grabbed her wrist. She shivered.
 
"My name is Tao." He started to pull her closer, slowly. "Please trust me."
 
 
 
 
The bell over the door tinkled as Jeah closed it behind her. She left last, it was her turn to lock up.
 
"Jeah." Kris said, emerging from the shadows.
 
"Oh look." She twirled the key around her finger once and stuffed it in her pocket. "It seems as though I suddenly exist."
 
She turned her back on him, walking in the opposite direction.
 
"Your apartment is this way." Kris pointed his thumb over his shoulder.
 
"So are you."
 
He caught up to her and spun her around by her shoulders. "I can explain."
 
Jeah's gaze dropped to his neck. Where there were holes just days before were now tiny silvery scars.
 
"I wasn't allowed to see you." He pulled his jacket tighter to cover the scars. "They thought I was too dangerous."
 
Jeah swallowed. "Are you?"
 
"I told you," He bent down to look directly into her eyes. "I would never do anything to hurt you."
 
With that, one arm dropped to her waist and pulled her closer. His lips brushed softly against hers and she grasped his shirt to close the distance between them.
 
"It's late." He pulled away. "I should probably be getting you home."
 
He closed his hand around hers and led her back past the cafe.
 
 
 
 
"You don't have to do this."
 
"You know full well that I do." Tao growled and swung open the door to his flat. He flicked on the light and crossed the livingroom to the hallway. "Come on."
 
Byul followed silently, checking for exits. Plenty of windows but they were eight floors up.
 
'I've survived harder falls.'
 
Tao pushed open the door to his bedroom.
 
Byul gasped. "I am not-"
 
"Relax." He scoffed. "I'll be on the couch."
 
She stepped into the middle of the room and looked around.
 
"Good night." Tao grumbled, closing the door behind him as he left.
 
He paused on the other side of the wooden frame long enough to hear her whisper "thank you" before he turned the light back off. He slipped off his t-shirt and settled onto the couch for the night.