t h r e e

Animal Inside

 

 
 
"Where are they?" Jeah checked her watch for the time. "What if they miss him?"
 
She heard a snicker from the foreign kid in the kitchen.
 
"Yah I will have you deported!"
 
He shook his head and went back to work, not intimidated. Jeah slumped on the counter and sighed dramatically.
 
At that second, the bell over the door tinkled as Yixing held open the door for Kori.
 
"Where were you guys!" It wasn't a question but more of an exclamation.
 
"We went for a walk." Yixing nodded curtly. Kori poked one of his dimples.
 
"Did he come yet?" She clasped her hands together and her eyes flashed.
 
"No." Jeah sobbed.
 
Kori shivered. "Go sweep or something. You look pitiful."
 
Jeah nodded and sulked away. Yixing took a seat on one of the barstools at the counter.
 
"I really hope it's just me that's uneasy about this guy." Kori massaged her temples. "She's really stuck on him."
 
"It's so unlike her." Her boyfriend mused. "She's usually so fierce but now she's acting like a sick puppy."
 
"I wonder what his secret is." Kori giggled.
 
"I heard you haven't been feeling well lately." Jeah nudged Yixing with a broom while sweeping around the counter.
 
"For the past few days," he swallowed. "I've been feeling very out of sorts."
 
Jeah watched as Kori's eyes dropped to the floor before she dashed into the kitchen.
 
"I'm sure it'll all blow over soon." He shrugged and picked at a thread on his sleeve.
 
"Are you going to tell her?" Jeah implored, wide-eyed.
 
"Tell her what?" Yixing asked hesitantly.
 
Jeah just stared at him.
 
"I'm not sick if that's what you're trying to get at." He huffed. "Only sick of being asked these questions."
 
Jeah put her hands up in resignation as someone walked through the door.
 
"Kris!" She scrambled behind the counter.
 
He nodded his head slightly and went to his favorite table. Jeah grabbed a white mug and a pot of coffee and headed over to serve him. Kori peered through the door and watched as Yixing doubled over, clutching his stomach.
 
"How are you today?" Jeah asked as Kris picked up his cup.
 
"What's he doing here?" His eyes narrowed at Yixing's hunched figure.
 
"He's been dating the manager, Kori, since forever." She said blankly. "Why?"
 
"No reason." Kris shrugged and drained his mug. Jeah refilled it and turned away slowly. She returned to the counter and placed the pot down carefully, looking between Kris and Yixing sideways.
 
"I think I need to leave." Yixing swallowed hard.
 
"You think?" Jeah said bluntly. Kori pushed past her to help him stand.
 
"Do you want me to come with you?
 
"No I'll be fine." He shook his head. "Stay with Jeah."
 
Kori nodded and helped him to the door.
 
"I need to talk to Suho." Yixing said wistfully. "Don't leave her alone with him."