o n e

Animal Inside

 

"Of course this misses work on the busiest day." Jeah cursed under her breath, swearing to get her back.
 
She bustled around the cafe taking and delivering orders. The place was packed and she was the only waitress on duty.
 
"I hate the lunch rush." She scoffed to no one in particular. The foreign kid that worked in the kitchen part-time shook his head and chuckled.
 
After a quick glance around to make sure everyone's orders were filled, she leaned her forehead on the cool marble of the countertop.
 
A cough.
 
Jeah looked up abruptly. "Can I help you?"
 
"Are you supposed to give a customer attitude?" The tall figure in front of her had his hands in his back pockets. His leather jacket hung open over a white v-neck. He smirked at her and he was almost inhumanly good looking.
 
" I might be." She said under her breath. "What can I get you?"
 
"Coffee." He barked. "Black."
 
The last part was sickeningly smooth. Jeah jotted down his order.
 
"Name?" She asked, not looking up from her notepad.
 
"Why?" The stranger seemed defensive.
 
"So I can steal your identity. I'll also need your social security number and address." She rolled her eyes. "So I can call you up when it's done."
 
"Oh. It's Kris." He coughed to clear his throat. "With a k."
 
Jeah scribbled his name down and shooed him away. He sat down in the far corner of the cafe to wait.
 
After she set the coffee on to brew, she leaned on the counter and watched Kris.
 
He kept looking around warily.
 
'Odd..' She thought. She picked up a mug and a pot of coffee and strode to his table to pour him a cup.
 
"I thought you were going to call me." He leaned back in his chair.
 
"I just wanted to know your name." She said, rising up on her toes.
 
He ducked his head and chugged the coffee, hardly letting it cool. Kris started reaching for his wallet.
 
"It's on the house." Jeah piped up.
 
Regardless, he shook his head and placed a few bills on the table. He got up and left wordlessly.
 
Jeah pouted and went back to the counter. "What is with that guy?"