Chapter 23

Nine Angels In the Alleyway

Perfectly imperfect, 

These fallen angels raise themselves up

Together. 

 

The sun was just setting over the ocean horizon, the sky a gorgeous mix of orange, yellows and purples that complemented the dark blue of the sea. Close by to the water, nine girls were hurriedly carting dry wood to the designated fire pit.

 

“Okay, that should be enough wood!” said Sooyoung. She took out a pack of matches and attempted to light one. As unconventional of an heiress as she was, Sooyoung was still from a wealthy family- she’d never had any cause or reason to use such a primitive tool.  She uttered a grunt of frustration. “How do these work?”

 

“Yah, let me try,” Yuri offered. She swept her jet black hair back and managed to light the match...but yelped in pain when she burned herself and the match dropped into the sand, quickly smothered by Yuri’s shoes. “Oww...God this is dangerous...!”

 

Hyoyeon walked over and motioned for Yuri to give her the matchbox. Yuri handed it over; with a quick flick of her wrist and a loud skrrrrrtch of the match against the side of the box, Hyoyeon deftly held a tiny flame that burned at the end of the match.

 

Sooyoung stared at her. “How’d you do that?” she asked in complete ignorance.

 

“When your old man forgets to pay the gas bill on a tri-monthly basis, it kind of makes you learn how to adapt,” Hyoyeon explained in a deadpan manner. The chestnut-haired girl bent down and lit the stack of wood. As the small flames spread, Hyoyeon grabbed a piece of cardboard and fanned the fire with great vigor while Taeyeon and Jessica added more kindling. There was a roaring fire going in no time.

 

An orange glow of tranquil contentment radiated in the girls’ faces as they gathered around the fire. They told stories and laughed at jokes, while toasting foods over the flames, just like any happy gathering of people around a bonfire would.

 

After Jessica finished her eerie horror story about a scepter that lived in a sink, goosebumps raised on the girls’ skin as the night chill began to settle over them.

 

“This is a pretty amazing way to spend the last night at the summer home,” remarked Yoona. “Thank you so much, Sooyoung-unnie, for letting us come here and have a fantastic time.” The other girls chorused their thanks and Sooyoung, blushing, claimed it was no big deal.

 

Sunny asked, “What time are we getting driven back, Sooyoung?”

 

“You guys should be ready by like ten thirty tomorrow morning,” Sooyoung answered her. She checked her digital watch. “It’s a quarter to eleven now you guys- should we put out the fire and call it a day?”

 

“Wait! Before we do that...” Taeyeon stood up and started handing up scraps of paper and pens to the other eight girls. “Since it’s our last night here, I figured we should do something really memorable and meaningful.” They gave the oldest girl quizzical looks, but she went on to explain:

 

“Okay, so: on the pieces of paper, write down something that has been hugely significant in your life. It can be anything: a memory, a confession, a regret, a dream or maybe a weakness. When you’re done, fold up the paper and drop it in the fire. Hopefully, you’ll feel renewed and released from your troubles and have enough strength to pursue whatever you desire as your words become one with the sparks.”

 

The girls, moved by Taeyeon’s speech, fell into a calm silence as they began writing on the scraps of paper.

 

Jessica was the first to finish. Hers, in neat and careful handwriting, said: “I wish people wouldn’t make assumptions about me all the time. I also have messed up feelings for a guy and I can’t tell if he loves me or just wants vengeance.”  Carefully, she dropped her folded slip into the fire.

 

Yoona followed soon after, with these words written in straight, no-nonsense print: “I am attracted to my childhood friend even though he has a girlfriend- and I desperately, futilely wish he returns my feelings.”

 

Clicking her pen shut, Seohyun approached the fire. Her note, which said: “I’ve been ensnared by the influence of someone who I shouldn’t associate with- I’m changing as I speak. I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing” burned away into nothingness.

 

Her face seemingly impassive, Hyoyeon tossed her tightly folded slip into the fire. “My dream is to become a great dancer; and I’m going after that dream even if my once best friend and confidante abandoned me when I needed him most.”

 

Yuri scribbled the last few words in with a flourish. Hers read: “A boy I used to love and trust broke my heart. I used to denounce the male population, but I’m starting to move on now. Is it right for me, to fall into the arms of this new guy who might possibly...like me?

 

Taeyeon took a deep breath as she deposited her darkest secrets into the crackling flames. “I long to be a singer. I’m having a liaison with my Calculus teacher- I’ve even slept with him multiple times – despite my popularity in high school, despite the fact that I have a boyfriend. Yet I still don’t have the courage to pursue what I really want.”

 

Melancholy filled her heart as Sooyoung confessed: “I’m in love with my brother’s best friend who’s a teacher and he’s about to be married soon. I haven’t found the will to move on yet.”

 

For a while, Tiffany couldn’t decide what to write. Eventually though, she scrawled these words on the paper: “I want to be able to understand and comfort those who are dear to my heart. I don’t want them to suffer or hate themselves or feel sad. And maybe one day, the boy I like will like me back, as odd as I am.”

 

After long, careful deliberation, Sunny finally let her paper drop into the fire. “I want to regain strength and confidence I once had. I want to rediscover my place in the world. I wish for happiness.”

 

The girls once more circled around the fire, the crashing of the waves onto the beach the only sound being made. “I’m really going to miss this place,” sighed Seohyun.

 

Sooyoung suggested, “We can always come back.”

 

“By next year, half of us will be in college,” reminded Taeyeon, her expression rueful.

 

“We’ll still have summer break though, right?” Tiffany said. The other girls considered this and recounted the events from their week of vacation with fondness.

 

“That hike was pretty awesome,” remembered Jessica.

 

“Yeah, that was fun...but I really liked that day when Hyoyeon gave us that dance lesson. Now I won’t be as awkward at parties...” Seohyun said, smiling.

 

Hyoyeon chuckled and admitted, “You know...you guys aren’t half bad at dancing at all.”

 

“That’s only cause you taught us really well and made it fun, Hyoyeon,” said Sunny. Hyoyeon conceded the older girl’s point and fell into deep, silent thought while the other girls conversed with each other.

 

After a few minutes, Hyoyeon spoke up again, “Would you guys...be interested in entering a competition together?”

 

Yuri and Yoona’s eyes widened while the other girls stared at Hyoyeon, puzzled. “What competition?” Taeyeon asked.

 

Hyoyeon divulged in the details of the talent competition that was going to be held at Baeyoung High School.

 

“Hyoyeon...are you really going to register all of us for the group performance?” Yuri questioned the older girl. “Didn’t we already agree on competing in the dance competition...?”

 

“You’re allowed to be part of one act in all three categories,” explained Hyoyeon.

 

“But what about Amber? Don’t you think we should include her too?” asked Yoona.

 

Hyoyeon said, “I discussed the possibility of entering the group performance contest with her before we came here- she says that she’s not that confident in her singing ability and plus, she’ll only have time to perform with us in the dance competition.”

 

Seohyun broke in, “We get over one million won if we win?!”

 

“A guarantee record deal for first place too,” whispered Taeyeon, awestruck.

 

“Yup. So what do you guys think?” asked Hyoyeon. She garnered mixed reactions from the girls.

 

“That sounds so fun! Count me in!” Sooyoung exclaimed, enthusiasm peaking in her voice. Seohyun agreed with excitement. The other girls were less sure and more skeptical.

 

“Would we really be able to pull this off? This sounds like it’ll take a lot of time and effort to prepare for...” said Sunny.

 

“Plus, I’ve never done a full out performance on stage before in my life,” added Jessica.

 

“But Taeyeon, Jessica- you guys are cheerleaders, aren’t you? You’ve performed moves in front of a crowd at countless games, right? That’ll be good enough experience to help out. And even for those of you who don’t do any kind of physical performance...I’ve seen your moves. I think you guys are pretty capable of handling it- plus it isn’t just dancing. We’ve got to come up with a brand new song, arrange music, costume design...I’m sure you guys are talented in those areas as well. It’ll be an amazing experience- that I can guarantee.”

 

Tiffany had been quiet throughout the entire conversation- when Hyoyeon asked her for her opinion, she said hesitantly, “Well...I mean, I’m pretty sure I sing okay. I know a few dance moves now, thanks to you, Hyoyeon. But...I’m still not a good dancer. I wouldn’t want to drag the group down...”

 

“That’s why we’re going to practice!” insisted Hyoyeon. “We’ve got over seven months to accomplish this and I think we got this. This...is an opportunity I never thought would come. It’s going to be a long and difficult task- there are going to be hundreds of talented kids who we’ll be competing against. I know that. But...if you guys would participate...it would mean the world to me.”

 

Touched, the girls were all in unanimous agreement in joining together to form a group to compete in the upcoming talent competition in their school. And when they put out the fire and headed back to Sooyoung’s summer home, they were conscious of a warm, unifying connection inside; their bond was now stronger than before.

 

"Nine people who are very different from each other have now become one."***

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** this quote is actually one by real life Choi Sooyoung

A/N: SURPRISE! A new chapter!!!!!!!!!! in two days! :DDDD

Let me tell you guys, it takes much less time writing the 3rd person POV chapters. which is why i came back so quickly. yeah.

hope you guys like it! again, i love all of you readers....whoever's, you know, still there. T__T