Chapter 16

Nine Angels In the Alleyway

 

Sunny

It was about ten thirty at night and I was still very much awake doing homework when the front door to the apartment flat creaked open.

“Sunkyu dear- are you still awake?” came my father’s voice. I perked up and went to go greet him; he was home early, for a change.

“Hi Dad,” I said, taking his bag for him. He gave me a kiss on the forehead. Suddenly, he stumbled forward, hissing in pain.

“God damn,” he cursed. “Even after eight years of doing this, I can never understand how women put up with wearing these death traps.” With that, he kicked his heels into the far corner of living room and sank onto the couch, sighing with exhaustion.

I should probably explain about my dad.

To put it simply, without any apologetic fluff, he’s a transvestite. He’s also the manager of a gay bar, which is doing quite well with business.

According to him, he realized he was biual in his college years. Those days were times of confusion, identity crises and endless harassment. He didn’t know what to do with himself- until he met my mother, Kim Soojin. She was pretty and popular on campus while he was the of all jokes- it was a match that no one saw coming.

He knew he’d never love another woman like her again and after my mom died from cancer when I was eight, he pretty much became what he is today.

He tells me all this, often with a wistful yet satisfied smile on his face.

I thought about all the stories Dad had told me about my mother, how she had been well-liked by everyone even in high school- and then I thought about how different I had turned out from her and the abuse I was likely to suffer through the next day at school. I sighed.

“Sunny…is there something wrong?” my father asked me.

“No…I’m okay, Dad. Why?”

“I don’t know, it’s just a hunch- kind of a 'Dad-radar', if you know what I mean…but, are you sure? You know I’m here to help.”

I let out an exasperated huff as I sat down on the couch next to him. “Dad, I told you already, I’m fine. And I can deal with my own problems.”

My father put his arm around me. “I know, Sunny dear- but can’t you let your old man worry about you?”

“What old man?” I joked, grinning.

Indignant, my father swatted my head lightly. “Yah! You little smartass- I can still be your father even though I look like this!” I giggled and he himself was suppressing a smile. As I got up, he did as well and continued on, “Seriously though…I want my cute daughter to be happy- I don’t want her to be alone. But I can’t always be there with you every step of the way…”

“I know. But…you don’t have to worry too much, Dad. It’s gotten better at school.” I stared up at my father who had his hands on his hips, staring at me suspiciously. “Really. You don’t have to complain to the principal again. I…I’ve even found some friends- I think.”

My father stared at me for a few more seconds before he finally seemed to believe me. “All right…if that’s how it is...I’m going to go change and take a shower. You get your homework done and go sleep, okay?” I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing as I watched my father hobble to his room.

Later that night, I had settled under the covers and felt myself drifting off when I heard my bedroom door open. I laid still- it was a habit of my father’s to sneak into my room when he thought I was asleep.

I felt the bed sag under his weight as he sat down. I smiled yet kept my eyes closed as I felt his hand touch my forehead lightly. Then, I heard him whisper:

“I wonder if she’s found someone yet…someone whom she can depend on and trust…someone just for her.” He touched my cheek lightly and left my room.

All the while, I lay there still under the covers, thinking hard about what he said.

 

The air felt somewhat hot and muggy as I trudged back home, Sungmin walking beside me. Summer was in the air.

We passed by an ice cream shop and, seeing as we were hungry and it was hot as it is, we went inside. Surprisingly, there weren’t many people there so we were able to get our ice cream quickly. Sungmin stared frontward the entire time.

“Sungmin…what were you looking at?” I asked him later as we walked on and ate our ice cream.

“N-nothing…!” he stammered, turning bright red.

“Come on, Sungmin. You can tell me…”

“…the guy at the cash register…he’s really cute, if you think about it…” The sheepish look plus smears of ice cream on his face made me burst out loud into giggles. He said quickly, rushing his words, “I-I’m sorry, you must think I’m like, some kind of freak or whatever…”

I managed to stop myself, nearly choking on my ice cream. I cleared my throat, gave him a smile and said, “Not at all.”

He stared at me in disbelief. “Really?”

“Yeah.”

“…Really?”

“Mhm.”

“…Seriously?”

“Sungmin, there’s nothing wrong with you,” I insisted. He looked down at the ground and an expression of melancholy passed through his eyes.

“That’s not what the world tells me.”

“Well then the world. You’re you and there isn’t anything wrong with that.” Sungmin stared at me for a few more seconds, before uttering a shocked chuckle.

“That…that…” He looked me straight in the eyes. “Sunny…you have no idea how much you saying that…means to me…” I smiled at him and got a small, tentative grin back. “…Are you free this weekend?”

“Um. I think so. Why?”

“Will you meet me at the plaza then? The one by the big WalMart supermarket. I’d like to tell you…about my past. I’ve wanted to get it off my chest for the longest time and…I guess you’re the one person I really trust.” I agreed- as we went off on our separate ways back home, I couldn’t help but think about what my father had said last night and dwell on it for just a bit longer.

 

Hyoyeon

The music blared loudly within the room- Yuri and Amber were taking a break but I still had energy to keep going and to keep going hard.

“Hyoyeon-ah,” Amber called out to me. “You should take a breather- want some water?” I reluctantly complied, shutting off the music and catching the water bottle that Amber tossed at me. I took a long sip, the cool water quenching my parched throat making me feel much better.

When I set down my water bottle and went to over to turn the music on again, I noticed someone by the door to the dance room.

“Hello ladies,” said the tall male with longish, flowing hair. I immediately recognized him as Kim Heechul, the assistant principal of Baeyoung- and my heart sank. I knew exactly why he was here.

“Good afternoon, principal-nim,” I said stoically, bowing low- Yuri and Amber followed suit. He chuckled and waved off our formalities.

“I’m just dropping by to check up on how things were going. So, I’m going to keep it short, sweet and to the point…Kim Hyoyeon. Have you found your fourth member yet?”

I felt my stomach twist with unease. “No.”

“Then I’m afraid that the school will have to terminate your club from the roster and have you evacuated from the dance room. There are plenty of other clubs who would be able to use this room which you’ve reserved for better purposes.”

“We just need a little bit more time,” insisted Amber.

“Principal-nim, couldn’t you please just give us an extension?” Yuri pleaded.

Heechul scoffed at them, “An extension? My dear, the school has provided you girls at least three months to gather just four members. You’ve already had enough time as it is. You’re all probably lovely people but school policy states that I can’t simply keep letting you stall for time…”

“All right,” I said, facing the assistant principal. “How about this: give us one week. We’ll do everything I can to find a fourth member and if we don’t formally register by next week, the school is free to terminate us completely from the roster. We’ll even clean up and evacuate the dance room ourselves.”

I held my breath as Heechul contemplated my proposal. He shrugged and said, “Fine. But remember- you have one week. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a board meeting to attend- not that I’m thrilled to go play babysitter to a bunch of old goats." With that, he left as abruptly as he came. 

“…has the assistant principal always been this…cynical?” Yuri asked me. I simply just threw up my hands and let out an exasperated sigh.

“Never mind that,” Amber cut in. “How on Earth are we going to do in one week what we haven’t been able to accomplish in three months?

Before I was able to reply, a new voice said, “Would you like some help with that?” I turned my attention back to the door and saw Hyukjae leaning casually on the door frame.

Familiar feelings of irritation riled within me. “What are you doing here?” I asked harshly. 

“Hey- I’m just waiting for your practice to end so I can take you home.”

“Well you’re going to have to wait a little longer then.”

Amber got up with her bag and said, “Actually…I’m going to call it a day. I’ve got a load of homework to do anyway…” Yuri agreed, glancing knowingly at me and they left together, leaving me alone with Hyukjae. I sighed and turned the music on. Doing my best to ignore him, I started my routine.

I was really getting into my groove when suddenly, I felt skin contact and Hyukjae had wrapped an arm around my waist.

“Wh-What are you doing?” I asked, cursing how my voice had suddenly become shaky.

“Shhh…” His hands rested on my hips, his body moving fluidly behind me. “Just go with my movements…put the past behind you…” I bit down, trying hard to resist…but my body took over, going with the flow and moving in sync with him.

He leaned in close and whispered in my ear, “Hyo…you’ve become such a good dancer…”

I blushed. “That’s not what you told me back in middle school.”

“I was a stupid, underdeveloped dickhead back in middle school.” He twirled me in a quick half turn and we were chest to chest. Now I could see that even with his cool facade, his face was slightly pink. Slowly, gently, his fingers caressed my cheek while his other hand pulled me close.

“Hyukjae…” I whispered. Seeing his face up close brought back memories, both good and bad, that nearly overwhelmed me. Remembering those times past of how close we used to be…but realizing how far we had drifted apart snapped me out of the moment.

I quickly shoved him off and shut off the music.

“Let’s….let’s just go home…” I said, unable to look him in the face. I felt him grip my chin and lift it up, forcing me to stare into his eyes.

He held my gaze for a few moments longer and I found myself lost once more in those brown eyes.

Then he grinned at me, let go and motioned for me to come, saying nothing.

 

Yoona

“Are you really studying at a time like this?” Jessica-unnie demanded to know. I looked up from my History textbook and saw her giving me a disapproving stare.

“What…? I have a test next period,” I explained.

“Yeah- but I’m sure you reviewed for it the night before as well," she pointed out coolly. "We’re having lunch, right now, Yoona. A time to eat, socialize…not kill your brain by memorizing factoids you’ll most likely never use again.”

“You should give yourself a break, Yoona,” Tiffany-unnie chimed in. I glanced around the table and Jessica and Tiffany were staring at me expectantly. I sighed and set away my textbook.

Jessica beamed and said, “Good- the first step towards getting out of your comfort zone and experiencing new things and moving towards your true goal.”

I stared at her. “Wait a second what…?”

Jessica gave me a look and said, “Im Yoona, you do realize that if you want Donghae to notice you, you can’t just hole yourself up in your studies and academia obsession forever?”

“I second that thought!” Yuri said. “Good luck, Sica- Fany and I have been trying to get her to do this for months now and it hasn’t worked yet.”

Sooyoung looked up from devouring her bowl of noodles and asked, “Whoa, whoa wait- what is this about Donghae-sunbaenim?” The other girls stared at me with curiosity and I felt my face burn with embarrassment.

“Yoona’s had a crush on Donghae for a while now,” Tiffany explained.

“A huge, fiery crush,” Yuri added.

“Oh shut up, Yul!” I cried out, smacking her on the head and Yuri yelped in pain. The other girls began showering me with questions and comments and I felt the overwhelming urge to curl up in a ball and simply hide forever.

“Awww…that’s so cute, Yoona!” Hyoyeon cooed.

“Hope it works out for you, Unnie,” Seohyun said, grinning.

“Thanks Seohyun…but…okay, look- he’s a popular soccer star, he’s got Sunye already and he only sees me as his childhood friend…it’s probably never going to work out…” I ranted to the girls, saddening at what seemed to be the imminent truth.

Taeyeon, who was sitting next to me, then turned to me and said, “Actually Yoona…he talks about you quite a lot." My eyes widened, my heart inexplicably lifted with a sense of hope.

“…Really?”

“Mhm…” Taeyeon said, smiling. Everyone at the table listened intently as she continued, “He’s always bragging about how he’s best friends with the smartest girl in school and he’s always telling his teammates how she’s amazing at everything- even though most of them don’t have a clue as to who you are."

“It’s true,” Jessica reaffirmed. “In fact, sometimes I wonder if he ever shuts up about you- granted, he only talks about it with us when Sunye isn’t around…” I sat back in my chair, feeling absolutely giddy.

Tiffany asked, “Yoona…do you really like this boy?”

I hesitated in answering, but eventually, I nodded and said quietly, “Yes, I do. Very much so.” The girls glanced at each other and sly grins appeared on their faces.

 

This is ridiculous, I thought to myself as I stood at the end of the corridor, waiting nervously. I hadn’t wanted to go through with this, but at this point, it was too late. I stared down at the cupcake that Sooyoung had generously given me.

I kept recalling Jessica’s words in my head: “Remember Yoona- just keep it casual and act as if it were a coincidence that you found someone to give up this extra cupcake to ‘cause you didn’t want it to go to waste. By giving him food, you’re getting it through to his dense head that you just might be someone to take interest in.”

The bell rang, startling my nerves. A flood of students began to pour out of the classrooms and soon, I was surrounded by jostling students in the corridor. Somehow, I caught sight of him leaving the classroom...and no one else was with him.

A surge of happiness spread within me as I tried to reach him as quickly as possible, keeping a firm grip on the cupcake. “H-hey…Donghae…Donghae!” He turned around and the grin that appeared on his face made it feel as though my inner organs were melting.

“Yoona! What are you doing in the senior section?” Suddenly, for almost no apparent reason, words failed me.

“Uh…uh-um…I…I had to…run an errand…f-for my teacher,” I stuttered. I mentally winced- but Donghae waited patiently for me to finish. “Yeah, I-I just happen to be around so…”

“That’s cool…” he said. His eyes finally landed on the cupcake in my hand and he asked, “Where’d you get the cupcake from?”

I pretended to just notice that he was talking about the dessert and I replied, “Oh, ah- Sooyoung-unnie gave it to me…would you like it? I’m really full and I don’t want this to go to waste…” Donghae blinked- and once more, that radiant smile of his appeared.

“Sure…” He gingerly took the cupcake from me and said, “Thanks, Yoona!” I glued my eyes to the floor and hurriedly told him that it was no trouble and that I had to go back to class.

“Okay then- see you around sometime, Yoona!” he called out to me, waving. I waved back and then rushed back to my class, eager to tell Seohyun about how it had gone…when I heard a girl’s voice shout:

“OPPAA!!”

“Hey, Sunye!” I turned to see Sunye wrap her arms around Donghae’s waist.

“Oooh- that looks like an awesome cupcake. Where’d you get it from?”

“Oh Yoona gave it to me just now- want some of it?”

“...yeah sure!” Sunye took the cupcake from him and took a giant bite out of it. I quickly my heel and rushed off back to class, completely aware of the tears b in my eyes. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: holy crap ANOTHER fast update? this is awesome haha.

don't really have much to update right now. i'm about to go to bed anyway. the story is starting to really pick up now and for that, i'm so happy <3

if everyone who hasn't already would please answer this poll, that would be greatly appreciated :) 

I LOVE ALL OF YOU GUYS :'D lol. hwaiting~!