Chapter 22

Just Yesterday.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Days have passed since Taeyeon ended her relationship with Sungkyu. The first few days were painful for both parties. Taeyeon would go to class, practice at the hospital and head straight home where she would lock herself in the room. Although, Sungkyu was still seen out and about with the boys, he wasn’t his usual boisterous self. Days turn into weeks, and weeks turn into months. And like this, the two, who were once lovers, soon became strangers.

It has now been two months since the breakup and Jessica was fed up with seeing her best friend mope around like this. She misses the Taeyeon who would always stay up late with her and chat about boys. She misses Taeyeon’s ahjumma’s laugh. Jessica misses her old friend. Jessica was deep in her own thought while she was on the ward, doing her daily grand rounds with her supervisor and his team [grand rounds = where doctors, residents and med students go around to patient’s rooms and do check ups etc].

“Earth to Jessica Jung!”

Jessica looked up to meet the pair of eyes that was waiting for her and gave the owner a bright smile.

“Good evening, Mr Xi! How are you feeling today?” Jessica asked her patient.

“I’m feeling great now that you’re here to see me! And how many times have I told you to call me oppa?” Luhan scolded the soon-to-be doctor.

Jessica let out a chuckle and patted his shoulder, “Mr Xi, it’s not very professional of me if I called you that while I’m at work”

Luhan shrugged his shoulders, not really fussed about being called ‘Mr Xi’ since Jessica was finally there to see him.

“You’re recovering very well, Mr Xi. In fact, you could probably go home today if you want. We’ll have a cast fixed on you for six more weeks but you can definitely leave and head home.” The senior doctor, Jessica’s supervisor, commented as he inspects Luhan’s fractured leg.

“Really?” Luhan exclaimed, excitement could be heard in his voice.

The doctor nodded his head and looked at Jessica, “Why don’t you wheel Mr Xi to the orthopaedics and prepare the cast for him.”

Jessica nodded and complied with her supervisor’s order. She carefully helped Luhan into a wheelchair and bid goodbye to her seniors. Just as they were about to leave, the senior doctor turned around and winked at Luhan,

“You can thank me later for allowing Jess to spend some time with you”

Luhan high-fived the doctor, “You’re the best. Thank you”

Jessica shook her head and let out a light chuckle.

“Alright, let’s go get this cast on you” and with that, she wheeled him to the orthopaedics ward.

 

An hour or so later, the cast was fixed onto Luhan’s leg and the pair was back in his room. Luhan was packing his clothes away as Jessica sat in the chair, staring blankly at the ceiling.

“Jung Jessica, tell me what’s wrong? You keep zoning out and sighing. It’s worrying me” Luhan asked as he looked at the younger girl with concern.

Jessica shook her head and smiled. She was grateful to have come across such a great friend like Luhan. She was amazed at how great he was at sensing when things were off or not the usual. Luhan was so attentive and always knew when she was feeling down or just spacey. She didn’t want to trouble him with her problems, but she felt the need to let it all out instead of bottling it all up. Ever since Myungsoo became busy with his studies lately, the couple barely spent time with each other and hence she had no one to talk to.

Jessica let out another sigh before standing up to help Luhan pack, “It’s just my friend.” She confessed.

“Mmm…” Luhan responded, giving her all his attention.

“She broke up with her boyfriend a couple of months ago but she’s acting like a zombie. She’s just not herself, you know?”

Luhan nodded, “How long was their relationship?”

“Long. Super long. I actually thought they were going to last forever and have 10 kids” Jessica replied, feeling slightly disappointed.

“Well… she must have really loved him. You have to give her time. She’s probably so used to having her boyfriend around for everything and now that he’s not there she must learn to adapt. You just need to be a good friend and always be there when she needs you, alright?”

Jessica nodded and smiled at Luhan. The advices that he gives her were another thing that always amazed her. Every now and then, she would come to Luhan and confess her problems and he would always have wise words

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter