—» V

4D Manager
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Do Kyung Soo 

I glanced briefly at the passenger seat next to me. I'm currently driving somewhere with someone, that someone who goes by the name Sunny. I clearly remember how our first meeting went badly this morning. She's a bizarre one. Sighed knowing the girl had fallen asleep shortly after we were discharged from the hospital— to get her left ankle immediate treatment. She's lucky she only sprained her leg, although there are minor scratches to one elbow and her forearms from the fall but this girl really ignored it all to the point of making me stared at her in stunned disbelief, shouldn't a woman always pay attention to her appearance. The doctor on duty had also performed the physical exam on her, the primary survey, as in any traumatic injury and I was relieved after evaluation in the emergency department, though she's got the crescent-shaped abrasion from strangulation on her neck but she did not suffer any other vital injuries. I hope she's not traumatize after this, because that incident shouldn't be experienced by every woman alive. The recent events, still linger in my mind.

 

—Flashback

Father must be throwing a joke. I frowned reading a short message from him during a break on campus. He suddenly summoned me. How does he know my schedule is empty this afternoon. Did he spy on me from the start? Aish, so bothersome. It'd be a long annoying day if I was asked to face him. But the end, I went to see him on that order nonetheless, at our Espxxx Dine-in Resto. I could never say 'no' when it came to my father, he always was very strict. As I arrived on time, appa directly kept me with him in his office. We discussed some of the issues surrounding the ownership transfer of this restaurant to me as well as a topic that mentioned to put me under a training to become the manager of the place all because he saw myself as natural successor to the family. The boredom of afternoon conversation with father right now enough losing my mind. Everything feels complicated with him. So, I just nodded my head agreed to his wishes to look reliable to him. Oh I thanked whatever above the moment his phone rang. Just then appa had realized that it was getting late, he allowed me to go home right away then. I farewell father a goodnight and, finally, that's the end of it.

Walking out and over to my car I wish to arrive at home fast. Faster, so I can just get some rest before the next day comes and I'm back resuming my activities. Good thing no assignment for tomorrow there is. I breathed out a sigh, I realized it was quiet late. Appa took too much of my time, God blessed him. I just have to walk a little more to get to my car but when I arrived and just opened the car door, there was when a quiet deafening screams caught by my hearing sense and swear words followed it.

"ARRGH. I'LL KILL HER, I SWEAR!! GO CATCH HER, YOU FOOL!"

Recovered from my shock, I quickly fished out my phone making a quick call to the police, reporting a crime. Don't know why, I feel this is not a trivial matter. For such a wrathful tone I seemed to know which direction it was coming from, that clear voice, which was obviously not far from the restaurant. I hung up the phone and threw it in the car then ran to finding out the source of problem. When I turned into a small alleyway I stopped, speechless. Two large men I found lying on the ground, one of the men badly injured and unconscious while the other was curled up in pain. What just happened.

"STOP RIGHT THERE. YAH!"

Another voice shouted a few meters ahead of me. I was surprised to see another grown man chasing after a girl. The girl ran with all her might as if she was running away from a big bad wolf. It doesn't take a genius to judge this situation. The girl is in trouble. And she just tried to defend herself by beating up these thugs right here. I caught a girl backpack and the cell phone just laying carelessly close to the morons, it must have belonged to that anonymous girl. I snorted in disgust at the total of three ed-up, brainless men. They really went too far. My eyes just caught a piece of wood as well alongside me, I'm quick to grab it. Hurriedly taking the woman's belongings I had the chance to deliver a strong kick from me to the stomach of the man who still was conscious, and so he fainted. I ran after the girl.

A maximum of three people play on a lane at any one time. With different goals, we chased after each other. The one on the very back is me running at a quiet fast pace, that idiot in front of me, and the she-victim a good distance far ahead. Maybe the guy didn't aware of the dangers of me because he was so focused on the girl. It was in my favor, but when I saw the girl tripping over her leg, I sped up, ran closer to the man and I hit him hard on the nape with this chunk of wood I've been holding on. Successfully putting him out cold. My breath becoming irregular as I stood still, I looked down on my feet. Thank goodness I had immobilized this bastard. I threw away the block and continued to approach the girl. She was sitting now with her back to me. I watched her from afar as she tried to get up and screamed as she fell back. Geez, is that girl all right? She's been pushing herself too hard, though I salute her enough for her flames of passion. She was a fighting woman. That's what I believe. I almost got close to the girl. Hn, she looks stubborn now. You see that even in that kind of state she is still trying her best. Wait. She seemed up to something. 

I made a reach for her from a short distance behind that made her flinch, "You ridiculous, madwoman. What're you going to do now, huh!?" Breathing was shallow, I tried to pull her into my game of bluff.

As she finally turned to me, her eyes on her lap, but she raised her hand as if to strike me. No, she really pummeled me furiously with her fists, and I really didn't predict this.

—Flashback Ends

 

Which led her yelling a swear in my direction. One thing led to another. I've got no idea that the girl I just helped was the same girl I met just this morning. What an irksome experience. This girl aish, her posture may be small like one delicate cat, but her brazen paw really hurts. She endlessly hit me in various places that she could reached at, even I had protested but she didn't stop. I returned my focus back to the streets, giving an involuntarily smile. Tch. I seem to be smiling a lot this marvelous day. The first time when Sunny was annoyed at being carried away so out of the blue. I did carrying a wounded woman without her consent, she was annoyed with me. But for the sake of humanity, I just do it. Come to the aid of anyone in needs. 

I practically, rarely smile— with a carefree attitude toward life. Me smiling was just a formality, nothing special especially in my social life. Why now recalling the moment I saw her, a smile can easily form on my face. I can't help myself to stop the smiles itselves. God forbid her to see my first real smile, directed to this Sunny girl. I tried to cover it up though.

Taking one more glance at her. Sunny is, in my poor opinion, an astute womankind, although sometimes she might be annoying. Just as well as her female friend, I will find out about that one woman. Honestly, I can't underestimate these two fellas. They both are two of a kind. I sighed for the umpteenth time today. The girl was fast asleep while leaning her head on the window. Good thing she gave me her address earlier so I didn't have to wake her up. I can empathize with what just happened to her. I drive off to her house in no time, break through the silence of the streets tonight. Not realizing that today's incident is the beginning where everything will change in my life, for the better or worse, in the future.

POV Ends

Woogoon

"I'm home.."

With a spare key, I opened the door to the house. It's late, so everyone is probably sound asleep. Hope I don't disturb my dear family. Sighing, I was tired out now that the working hours have ended for the day. My workload is getting excessive lately. I am engaged in marketing team, and thanks to the presence of foreign investors with many new collaborative projects forced me to work overtime almost everyday. Even I didn't get a chance to text my fiancee, JiMin, at least to say hello. Letting out another long sigh. No matter how hard it is, I won't speak openly of my problems. I consider all the difficult things that I went through is a process towards a more worthy life for me,  eomma and my sister,  also uri halmeonineun. 

I stepped my foot into the kitchen, perhaps eomma left some of her baked goods she'd stuffed in the fridge. Our parents' expertise in cooking field is unique. They know, compared to Sunny, I'm the one who doesn't really like sweets, but every kind of bread or cake or similar items of food that cooked on the oven that eomma nor appa made at home has a distinctive taste that fits on my tongue. It's something I should be grateful for.

Drinking a glass of water, I walked over to the fridge and pulled the door wide open. My mood gets brighter. Can't deny I feel the need for late night snacks. Jinjja this treat in front of me is truly a feast to the eyes. Lots of snacks and nutritious ready-to-eat foods sat neatly almost dominating the contents of this refrigerator.

Healthy blueberry oatmeal snack bars from a bowl caught my attention first, I took a piece and took a bite. Hm, best-loved! I finished it pretty damn quick. Good God, I can't stop snacking. Oh! The leftovers of spicy braised tofu from two days ago still looking tasty. I'm gonna eat it with rice when I heard mother's voice faintly somewhere in the house. I dumped my initial intention, searching instead for her whereabouts. 

Why eomma haven't slept at this hour. Is there something urgent? Usually mother never sleeps late unless there are lots of orders. And with whom she is talking to? The closer I get the clearer I hear mother's voice. Her voice came from our own backyard. I did not hear any other voices around her. It seems that she is on phone call. Soon I finally found mother and surely she was alone outside on the backyard, speaking with someone on the phone. 

"... Gamsahabnida for sending the news to us and it was nothing, actually.. Ne, please leave my regards to your family, Lady Xi. Have a good rest, annyeong."

"A call from Mrs. Xi?"

I asked from behind her just when she had hung up the phone. Eomma looked a little surprised because of my sudden presence, she turned right away to look at me with a motherly smile. I smiled back at her.

"Oh, you're home, dear? Thank goodness. Yes, it was a call from Lady Xi. She just gave the news to us about the changes in Lu Han's scheduled departure to Seoul; his arrival will be in the next two days. So when the day comes, I want you to pick him up at the airport, my dear. No need to worry, because Lady Xi had sent his new photo to eomma yesterday. You know he hasn't changed much from ten years ago. Lu Han is a young man who is easy to get along with. He has indeed grown older, but the look in his eyes is still the same, warm and friendly. You can still recognize him." She chuckled at the memory of ten years ago, and then her expression turned serious, "Son, can you vacate your schedule for that day?"

A smile on my face slowly faded. What's this. I guess I didn't hear wrong just now. I take it, so Lu Han would stay and continue his studies here? Why, it's just too sudden. I still vividly remember the Xi family's last visit ten years ago. They have discussed this matter. They say this is to maintain solidarity and friendship between families. But there is one thing that worries me. About a secret plan they mentioned years ago. It won't do any harm, but won't really help either. Because the plan was closely associated with Soonkyu as well. She was completely oblivious of the plan and what worst, I was sure she wouldn't be happy to hear about it.

My little sister, I know her well. She's the freedom type. She talked very frankly on my engagement day, she told me if she were me she'd choose not to commit to anyone. So she won't live a monotonous life. A commitment in her life dictionary means an obstacle to achieving her goals. My sweet sister, even though she smiles happily before everyone but she has different views regarding the importance of a relationship between men and women. I was astonished at her mindset. I once thought that she had such thoughts because she had not fallen in love yet. But the more often I studied her words, the sooner I got to tell a motive for her absurdity of the situation at that time. She just wouldn't want to get hurt. Therefore, why has she always tried to appear strong in front of our family. She was determined to do everything herself. 

Lost in my mind until it hit me that mom was waiting for my response to her question as her touch on my shoulder was hesitant. She began to worry whether I had another reason to decline her. I sighed and smiled reassuringly, "I understand, eom

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter