The Run-in

Chances

I honestly work on the chapters back to back. I updated chapter 5 a while ago maybe 2 hours ago? So like 7 it's 9:58. I love writing this story. But I really should be doing my homework. sigh* I am such a bum. 

____________________________________________________________________________________ 

Kris's P.O.V 

Nina walked herself to the car. I watched as she carried herself through the hall to her room before she collapsed at the door. I went to her but she stopped me. 

"Thank you but you need to leave me alone" her body was trembling as she pushed the door open slightly and pushed herself through 

"Nina" 

"Goodnight Kris" she closed the door and I couldn't help but stand there. I closed my eyes and waited.  

'You care too much, you're getting too close. You're gonna fall off the edge' I was right I turned to my room until a hard thud came from inside her room. I open her door and found her body sprawled out on the floor panting. I went to her and held her up.  Her body was cold and from what I could see with the little light showing through the cracked door she was pale. There was a layer of thin sweat over her body. She opened her eyes a bit and her breathing was jagged.  

"Get out" she whispered "It's not safe 

"You need to see a doctor" 

"NO!" she yelled trying to push away from me. My grip was loose but it was a stronger hold than her push "NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! No doctors please" she said griping my shirt. Watching her as the fabric in her hand creased in her hand.      

She looked up at me and grabbed the back of my neck and pulled herself up, she fell into the crook of my neck and whispered in my ear "Tell me you won't take me. Please. ”I heard a click then I felt the barrel come under my neck.  

"Tell me you won't take me" 

"What if about you? How will you get better?" 

she snickered and swung out in front of me, her eyes were lifeless and her smile weak "I could eat you" she said with a laugh pulling me back into a hug "Your body seems deliciously healthy your blood will be wonderful. I can even hear your heart racing; I can practically feel it reverberating in your chest."  

I was scared. My Adams apple bobbed but the knot in my throat didn't leave me. I slowly pulled her closer to me. 

"I won't take you" I said stoking her hair "So Nina? You don't have to be scared" the gun fell at my side and she buried herself in my chest, and her small hands clawed at my back. 

"I don't want to be scared. I don't want to see him again." 

"I'll keep him as far from you as possible, okay? So don't be scared" I started to her back in small circles until her grip went limp. I picked her up and laid her on her bed. I started to pull the covers over her but I saw her arms they were bruise free. The things that she said had become more realistic. I took a chair and sat it next to her bed, and I sat there. I sat there watching her chest rise and fall in a small entrancement. I looked over to see the gun and as I reached for it she grabbed my arm. 

"Nina?" I asked and no answer only a tightening grip so I ignored the gun and just laid my head back and tried to drift off without negative thoughts. Because thinking about it, if she could mess with my mind so easily my nightmares are just a hop skip and a jump away. 

I woke up to the oh-so-not pleasant light in my eyes. I saw Nina still lying in front of me sound asleep. A wave of comfort came over me as I saw her color back in her face.  

'I'll make breakfast for her' I left to go to the kitchen when I heard my beeper phone from the inside of my room. 

"Hello?" 

"There's been a breach in security; you're wanted back in the office" 

"I'll be there in 15 minutes" the line went dead. I threw it on the bed and dressed myself in my suit. As I grabbed my keys to walk out the door I remembered why I even left Nina's room. 'Should I leave a note or something?' I looked at my watch and saw I had no time 'I'll call she'll answer'. 

As I walked over to my office the man who called me came in.  

"I come here there the big man isn't yelling and practically no one was in a frenzy. Why was I called in for a breach in the system, I'm not tech support" 

"I know, you don't have half of a quarter of the skill needed. I called you in because whoever was hacking our entire system pulled up only two things after using a facial recognition program, your profile" 

"So?" 

"So what do you mean so?! Why were you being searched for?"   

"Don't know don't care can I leave?" 

"No! Because you don't seem to understand the severity of the situation. Someone was looking for everything on you plus every female agent here with the same description of the boss' niece" 

I shrugged it off what he said before I actually realized what he said "What" 

  "Oh you care now." 

"Did he get access?" I asked moving closer to the man  

"Yes" he said 'Dammit, it has the address of the condo' 

"I'm leaving" 

"No need" the boss stood in the doorway "I've sent guards" 

'If she wakes up and sees big men in black suits she'll-I don't even want to think about what she'll do' I bowed "I understand but I feel that it'd be best if I went to protect her myself" 

"No. You'll stay and give me a progress report on the girl" 

"Sir I think-" he cut me off "No boy, you don't think unless told to do so. Now you'll tell me of her progress, come to my office" I felt a strong growl arise in my chest that subsided as he looked down on me from his 3rd chin. You can be scary when you're tall you can be scary when you're big but when you're a combination of both you're a monster.   

"Yes sir" 

I sat in the chair in front of him and waited till he lit his cigar. I heard rumors that when he does that it's so he can light you on fire if he wants. 

"You can speak boy" 

"What exactly do you want me to tell you sir? We've only been staying together a couple of days"    

"Has she acted strange in anyway? Done anything out of the regular?" 

'Do I tell him about last night' "Yes" 'Apparently I will' "Last night she got sick, really sick and went pale-Edward Cullen pale" 

"So she got sick" 

"Yes" 

"Strange behavior; anger issues" 

"No sir" 

"Okay so what did she do before she got sick?" 

"She had a confrontation with a young man." the boss stared at me in silence "I took her out, she asked me to that is. She wanted to know about the fight club, sir. I put her through the test to see if she could hold her own. But there was a problem I couldn't see her go the rest of the test" 

"The knife portion?" 

"Yes" he took a puff from his cigar and looked at me dully and smiled. 

"Okay, you can go" he rubbed his temples and I left. 

I drove quickly to the condo and reached my door to be met by two big men in suits just like my own. I went up to my door and told them to leave but they said they needed verification that I was who I said I was. I showed them the key to the door and they left.  

"Nina I'm home" I looked around there was no answer. I took off my jacket and started to her room. As I opened the door I saw her still as I left her, asleep but a bit pale. I sat on the side of her bed and tapped her cheek and to my surprise she was ice cold.  

"Nina!" I grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her and she was limp as her little arms flailed a bit. I put two fingers to her neck and felt a strong pulse.  

"Nina!" I needed to wake her up or at least warm her up. But then it came to mind that she had been under cover in the sun since I left. And then I had what had to be the dumbest idea and thoughts in the history of self-preservation 'She needs blood' I gulped a little harder than I wanted to say 'I'll just give her a little bit'. I went to the kitchen and came back with a knife I remembered what happened with the gun last night and I cut my hand outside the room and left the knife on the floor and slowly went inside.  

I sat on the bed again and grabbed her hand. I slid my hand against her palm and then watched as the blood slowly disappeared until it left a stain. Her eyes opened and she looked at me with heavy lids. 

"Nina" I said with a weight leaving my chest "I swear, you had me worried for a minute" 

"Why" she said with a hoarse voice "why would you" she tried to get up but I stopped her. 

"You shouldn't get up" I said but then she grabbed my hand and sat up. She took my hand with both of her own and put it in front of her face and looked over at me. 

"It'll be fine in few days okay?" I smiled at her and then she smiled back and took my hand to . I watched as her tongue went from the tip of my wrist up the side of my finger and to its tip. I watched her watch me watch her drink my blood. I felt it I heard it and I sat and watched it. With nothing but "Don't eat so loudly" to say.  

She looked over at me and smiled "yeah" 

I was surprised that she answered but it didn't matter. I sat there and watched her until she passed out. She lay against the pillow with a barren expression with a warm complexion coming to her face. I got up and staggered to her door, I was suffering from anemia. I walked to the hallway closet and got a cloth and went back to wipe but it was one by the time I got there. I went to the living room with the first aid kit stitched my hand up. I cooked dinner for us and waited at the table for her to join me. I was surprised to see her walking as if nothing had happened, the awkward silence though brought reality in.  

She just sat there staring at the food on her plate. I asked her if she were full and I could see, though her head was down, her bite her lip. 

"I can taste it" she said "I still taste your blood in my mouth" 

"O-oh" the stutter broke my awkwardness  

"I want to eat but the taste of your nasty blood is still in my mouth" she said bluntly. 

"Nasty?!" I was actually offended 

"It tasted like cigarettes. Cigarettes and steak don't taste good together." 

"Maybe it'll get rid of the taste" I said. 

She took slow bites and we ate together there was awkwardness in the air but the calm was comforting. 

The next day I took her around the block there were venders giving me discounts left and right because of Nina. I watched her devour everything that she was offered. It was funny, she had watermelon squares and the juice just ran down she looked like a five year old. I bought a lot of candy though I don't like sweets myself, but Nina's personality leads me to believe that she'd enjoy it. 

"You're such a kid you know" I laughed at her and she began to pout making my laugh even more. 

Nina's P.O.V 

'I know I'm short. Sh*t everyone's short compared to you ya dam giant' I thought looking over at Kris. 

"Yéye" 

"What did you call me?" 

"All these years being in China and you don't know that I called you Grandpa? I'm a little ashamed of you"   

"You're messing with me and I bought you sweets? Maybe I should just give them to children who respect their elders" 

"Maybe we should" I took a look around and saw a little girl by a vending machine, I grabbed a piece of candy and went over to her. 

"Hi" 

"Hi" 

"What are you doing all by yourself sweet heart?" 
"I have to get groceries for dinner before my mommy gets home so we can cook" 

"Really? That sounds like a big job" 

"It's real important. And I can carry everything in the basket all by myself" 

"Is really heavy?"  

"No" 

"Okay so you know how you shouldn't take candy from strangers?" 

"Yes" 

"I'm going to be the only exception" I took out 3 pieces from behind my back. Her face lit and I put the candy in her basket "Promise you won't eat them before dinner okay?" 

"Okay!" she walked off but turned back and hugged me "Thank you" 

"Your welcome baby girl" 

She went off and Kris came up to me giving me the bag of candy. We went around for a couple of minutes going around to the kids giving out candy. 

"'Scuse me miss can I have some candy too?" I heard someone ask from behind me 

"Sure" I said happily turning around digging in the bag for candy. I held out the candy with a smile on my face to have it all drain from my face. 

Tao stood in front of me with a in a hoodie and a cap under his hood. He smiled at me and took the candy out of my palm that fell to my side afterward.  

"Carmel is nicer in the winter" he said 

"You didn't have to take it" I said trying to not look scared 

"But I did though. It's rude to do otherwise, especially if it's a pretty little thing like yourself" 

"Please stop you sound like a flirt" 

"You should know, this sounds like something that you'd hear often" 

"Too often" I said crossing my arms over my chest 

"Why are you with him" he asked motioning to Kris. I looked over to see the giant surrounded by children. I laughed seeing the giant frantic around the children. 

"That's quite the expression" Tao said looking over at me "I would have never known you'd have such a laugh" 

"Just because I've never laughed around doesn't mean I never laugh" I said pouting a bit 

"Oh pouting, you've seem to have gained some bravery, making all these faces just for me" 

"Don't flatter yourself." 

"So how about answering my question; what is it about him? You got a bad boy complex?" 

"He's a good guy" 

"I'm a good guy" Tao said with a smirk 

"Oh? You're a good guy? Good guys don't hang out at the Cavern" I retorted 

"Good girls go through the front door" 

"I don't remember ever saying I was good" I said and he chuckled at my comment 

"Tao!"  I looked behind him to see the woman from the picture. 

"Sh*t" he said under his breath. He grabbed my arm and started to run from her. 

As I ran past Kris I mouthed that I'd be back. Then my attention turned back to the woman who started to follow but lost her in the crowd as we ran farther away. 

We stopped as he ran out of breath. I was surprised that we got a good run in. We had made it to the park and the beautiful scenery had brought some clarity to my situation. 'I could use Tao as an informant' I thought to myself 'I need to find out what his connection is to that woman'. As he caught his breath I took him to a bench to sit down. 

"Was that your girlfriend who was chasing you?" 

"You'd think that wouldn't you? No she's my older sister. She watches me like a hawk, don't get me wrong I'm very grateful to have her, it's just that I'm under a magnifying glass all the time" 

"I think I can sympathize" 

"You have siblings?" 

"No, but that magnifying thing, I got you on that one" I said with a laugh 

"Is it that guy?" 

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. But he takes care of me" 

"I understand that, but do you know him" 

'He's starting to ask questions' "What do you mean" 

"I've been here for a long time and he's hung around some bad people" 

"Eh" I shrugged  

"Eh? You're not in the slightest worried?" he questioned 

I shook my head "Compared to me he's a saint" I said to myself 

"Saint?" 

"Yeah, he's a real saint" I said "takes good care of me" 

"So how long has he been taking care of you" 

"I've been living with him for a while now. We just met a while ago" 

"Your relationship is that strong?" 

"I'd like to think that we're good friends" 

"Just friends?" 

"Yeah, just friends" 

"Okay" I could tell by his voice than he was less than convinced. 

"How close are you and your sister?" 

"We were really close when we were younger, thing is since she's older and she works we've grown apart lately" 

"Oh" 

"Don't worry babe, no need to feel sorry for me" 

I scoffed "As if" 

"It's fine, I've found myself something of a sense of entertainment" I was about to ask what he meant when he started talking again "Where are you from?" 

"Can't say" I said a little bitterly "I'll just say that I'm from a little bit of everywhere in the states" 

"Do you like it here?" 

"It's nice" 

"Good, you need to stay here. For a good long time" he said laying his arm behind me. 

"Why?" I asked getting uncomfortable 

"I have my reasons" he laid my head onto his shoulder and his over my own. We sat in silence a that was tearing at me. 

"Beautiful" he whispered close enough to my ear I jumped.  

"Yeah the scenery is gorgeous" I said trying to focus on something other than him 

"Not just the scenery" I got up and looked up at him. 

What just happened, what he said was....I don't know. My face was hot I could feel the heat spread to the tips of my ears. His expression was as if he had seen it coming, he sighed and got up and I immediately took a step back. I didn't understand what was happening; I didn't understand what he was saying.  

"I'd figure you'd get scared." he said inching closer to my inching away "But I don't want you to be scared of me getting close to you" 

"You've gotten close enough" Kris came from behind the bench and pushed pasted Tao and stood in front of me "Nina are you okay" 

'I don't know!' "I-I-I I" I couldn’t say anything 

"I'm taking you home and you" he jabbed his finger in Tao's chest "You stay AWAY from her!" 

I was dragged home.  

No One’s P.O.V

Tao dragged his feet back to the street he left his sister on and stood next to her. She was eating a piece of candy that was given to her a very tall man.

“So who was she?” she asked

“Why do you need to know?” Tao retorted

“It doesn’t matter” she said with a sigh “Just don’t have me clean up your mess when you’re done with her, I’m too busy at work”

“Yeah I know” Tao hung his head as they started to walk to her car. He could help but steal a glance at his sister and feel a bit disgusted at what she had become. He prayed and prayed that he wouldn't become like that when he was going to be runner up for the family business.