Chapter nine.

Everything Started Out Normal...

Despite her better judgement, Victoria continued her venture into the trees. It was slow now, not the high speed she traveled at before, but it was steady. She didn’t recall ever really exploring the forest, not off the trails at least. Her anger had died back down into a low simmer, but that didn’t mean it went away. She chose not to focus on it as she made her way.

An itch in the back of her mind told her someone was watching her. Victoria checked periodically, but never saw anyone. Brushing the feeling off, she continued her way.

She could just barely make out a clearing ahead of her. Victoria pushed the branches out of her way as she approached. It was a small grass clearing. A few trees had tumbled down into it. Across the clearing the woods continued, but what caught her eye wasn’t the grass or the logs or trees, it was the man.

He was a lean man. His clothes were dirty and hung loosely off of him. Dark long hair resembling tentacles curled and blew in every direction with the gentle breeze. He sat on a log only a few feet from her.

His eyes were glued to hers. A disturbed smile drew his lips up, revealing elongated canines. Victoria couldn’t tear her eyes away from his dark brown orbs as they slowly changed to a yellow she had only seen in her nightmares.

Victoria took a step back as he slide down from the log. His tongue slid across his teeth as he slowly stalked towards her. A scream lodged in as she turned to run, but it was too late. A clawed hand snagged on her forearm and flung her backwards. She collided with the log he had been on.

She coughed and glared at the freakish man. As she reached down to push herself up, she felt something warm beneath her hand. Glancing down, her scream found its way out. Next to her lay the body of what appeared to be a young man. He wore something similar to her, running clothes, but his insides were on full display. Victoria began to back track in horror at the sight. The dead man’s glassed over eyes seemed to stare straight into her soul.

Getting to her feet, she tried to run again, until she felt a hnd at and another over . “Shh shh,” a velt voice whispered into her ear it. “Can’t tell anyone I’m here, sweetheart.”

Victoria squirmed in his grasp, but he only tightened his hand around . She felt what seemed to be needles pressing into the skin on her neck. “As much as I would love to lay chase to you, I’m afraid I don’t have the time.” She could feel his breath on her neck until it was replace with something warm and wet dragging up from her shoulder to her chin. “Oh you taste so sweet, girl. I know that taste to well. You be quiet now.”

His hand left , but his hand on was to tight for her to scream if she tried. His free hand pulled at the collar of her shirt, checking each of her shoulders. “An unmarked mate, it must be my lucky day.” He turned her to face him, his hand holding her inches from his face. “Change of plans, sugar. I want to take my time with you.”

As he reached up to her face, Victoria mushed all her strength and slammed her knee into his groin. Coughing and dropping her, Victoria didn’t even have a second to stand as a blur of red leaped over the log and tackled the man to the ground. Rubbing her neck and trying to catch her breath, Victoria slowly scooted away as the wolf and man tumbled over each other.

She heard the man curse and shout at the animal, as well as whines from it as she stood to her feet. Turning, Victoria bolted back into the forest. Passing them to go back the way she came, a clawed hand snatched her ankle and yanked her down again as he man kicked the wolf off of him.

Victoria squeaked, and he yanked her up with him, holding her between him and the wolf who got to its feet as well. “This yours, pup?!” The man shouted at the animal. One arm was wrapped around her waist, holding her against him, while the other hand again. “Oh I get it,” he laughed, “Trying to pass on this fine piece of and he won’t let you!”

Squirming in his hold, Victoria caught eyes with the blue eyed beast. She swallowed and froze when she saw it again. The Cherry Wolf.