Chapter One

Everything Started Out Normal...

The loud repetitive barking of her alarm clock blared through the room, aggressively waking Victoria from her sleepy state. She growled and flung her arm out, successfully launching the clock across the room. Groggy but awake, Vic sat up and scratched her head. Her hair stuck out on ends, looking like she stuck a fork into an electric socket. A quiet yawn escaped her lips as she stretched and rubbed her eyes.

“Victoria!” Her mom’s voice sang from down stairs. “Get moving! Can’t be late for your last day!”

“Yeah, yeah,” she mumbled as she threw the comforter back. With a last stretch, she climbed out of her soft silk sheets. Her toes curled into the black carpet as she made her way towards the walkin closet. Most girls Victoria’s age were into sports or were looking into what college they would attend next year, but Vicky? Oh no, she was the heir to her parents fortune. Back in 2005, her parents had gotten themselves into a sticky situation. Though they kept the details a complete secret from her, Vicky knew it wasn’t exactly legal.  

But somehow, it ended up with them making a large fortune that would supply not only Vicky, but her grandchildren too. So she was basically set for life. Eventually, she knew her parents would want her to learn the trade as well, seeing as they were still working. More often than not, her parents were off on some kind of ‘business trip’ as they called it, which gave Vicky a lot of alone time. You know, after school, each of her language classes, mixed martial arts classes, weapons training, and lots of homework. Yeah, so much free time.

Vicky grinned as she took out her uniform and headed into her bathroom. ‘But two of those things end today,’ she thought. As she waited for the shower to heat up, she looked over the tacky uniform she had to wear one last time: the white button-down collar shirt with cuffed sleeve and blue buttons, the pleated navy skirt that barely went to her mid-thigh, the striped navy and black tie she had to wear, the bleached white socks that stopped mid-calf with the cutesy little navy bows on the top, and all leading down to the spit shined black heels that absolutely killed your ankles. Vicky would surely not miss this .

When she finished her shower, Vicky took the time to brush her teeth, throw on a splash of makeup, and even blow dry her hair before heading down the long spiral staircase. After the big money rolled in, her parents uprooted their life in the sun state, to live up in the mountains of Colorado. They had their house built just for them, with everything they could possibly want. Vicky knew her father did it all for her mother, and she couldn’t blame him. Her mother was the absolute sweetest. The money never changed her. Every day, when they were home, her mother made breakfast, lunch, and dinner for them. She cleaned every part of the house, and all of Vicky’s classes were put on hold so the family could spend time together. Their cooks and maids all got paid vacations when her mother and father came home.

To no surprise when Vicky made it down the staircase, her mother was behind the island in the kitchen finishing the dishes. She didn’t even turn when VIcky entered. “I had made you pancakes, but you’re already late as it is. Take the lunch box with you; it’s got a few snacks. Now, we’ll be gone before you get home, but we’ll be back in a month or two.”

“All summer?” Vicky whined as she opened the box. “Mom, come on! Can’t you put it off for like a week?”

A grunt was heard behind her, and she turned to see her father hauling their luggage down the stairs. “Not this time, puddin’ pop!” Her dad sighed as he draped a hand on her shoulder. He stole a piece of bacon before her mother took the plate and grinned. “It might not be all of summer, but it is possible. Don’t worry, I’m sure Maggie will make pancakes just like mom!”

“Vic! It’s eight-thirty!” her mother squealed and rushed around the counter. Vicky took her time throwing her bag over her shoulder as her mother fussed over her uniform. “Now, Leo will drive you to school, but you know his baby’s due soon, so he won’t be there to pick you up. See if that nice boy will walk you home or call a cab.”

“Tao doesn’t get out until five, he’s only a sophomore. I’ll just call a taxi.” Her mother enveloped her in a tight embrace that her father soon joined. Vicky laughed, “Come on, you two are going to kill me!”

With wide smiles, they let her go, and her father rubbed her head. “Just be safe, and be good! We’ll see you soon.”

As she walked to the door, Vicky waved over her shoulder. “And don’t forget to call when you land!”

 

Victoria was a few minutes late to school and missed most of the principal’s end-of-the-year speech. But she really didn’t care to hear it. Headphones were shoved into each ear as she made her way towards her first class. Since it was the last day for seniors, Vicky knew each of her classes would be thirty minutes long, at most. Since the classes were so short, Vicky also knew that none of her teachers would care what she did. Most of them would be packing away their things for summer or preparing for their lower classmen.

She sat in the back corner of her first period English class and stared out the window. Block B’s Halo blasted into her ears as she thought about her parents. Vicky really wanted to know what exactly they did, but they were so secretive about it.

A tap on her shoulder pulled her back to Earth. A blur of black passed as she looked up to the grinning face of Chanyeol Park and his sidekick Baekhyun Byun. They were part of a group of students who had transferred here from South Korea when Vicky was still in middle school. The foreign boys quickly made waves in the school, not only as heart throbs but as the athletes as well. Vicky mostly ignored them.

“Hey there,” Chanyeol said as she pulled the headphones from her ears. She knew if these two wanted attention, they would not leave until they were satisfied. “You look lonely.”

Baekhyun sat on her desk as she rolled her eyes. “I’m fine, thanks,” she blandly states. “I’d rather just listen to my music if you don’t mind.”

“Aw, come on!” Baekhyun snatches the phone from Vic’s hands and begins to read through her playlist. “Block-B? You’re listening to kpop?” When she nodded, he continued. “Well they still aren’t better than us, sweetie.”

“Oh, but they are!” Vicky faked her large smile as she snatched the phone from him and slipped it into her pocket. “Now get off my desk, bacon.”

“Bacon?” Baekhyun asks as his friend snorts. “That’s not very nice of you, Drake.”

“Oh, but it’s so very funny, Byun.”

Chanyeol, who was wheezing next to him, held her desk for balance. “Oh, that’s a first! She’s got you there.”

With a growl, Baekhyun ran a hand through his cherry red hair. “Oh, whatever. It’s so not. She’s just being a little .” He glares at Victoria and places his hands on her desk. Leaning close to her face, he grinned darkly. “What makes you think you can disrespect me, huh, Drake?”

The bell sounded, and Vicky leaned in. Reaching up, she patted Baekhyun’s cheek a bit more rough than need be and grinned. “Oh, you know I just do it to piss you off.” Grinning from ear to ear, she marched out of the classroom with the other students, leaving Baekhyun and Chanyeol staring after her.

 

Vic’s next few classes flew by. She listened to her music and ignored the class around her. Chanyeol and Baekhyun only had first and seventh period with her, but that didn’t mean she was free from their friends. There were twelve of them that had transferred to Colorado. But they spread out through the grades. Most of them were in their senior year with Vicky, but she knew that some were in the lower classes aswell, like her best friend, Tao.

She didn’t know most of them, really she met maybe six within her years? She only ever talked to Tao, the demon twins, and the leader of the pack, Kris. He was by far, the worst. Arrogant and rude didn’t even cover it.

And, just her luck, he and the demon twins were in her last class.

When Vic walked in, she could see the three of them sitting in the front of the class whispering to each other. They all looked at her as she walked past them. She flipped her long black hair over her shoulder and took a seat in the back by a window.

Despite her logical brain’s protests, she couldn’t help but stare at Baekhyun. There had always been something about him that just drew her in. But when nearly every other girl in the school melted over him, Vic realized she shouldn’t even bother.

Pulling her gaze from the beautiful cherry hair, she took out her phone and text her mother.

‘Last class, I’m just going to walk home today. Don’t worry, I’ll take the path Tao showed me in the woods’

Someone yanked the headphones out of her ears, causing Vicky to jump up and glare at them. Dark eyes glared into hers as she stared up at Kris, Chanyeol and Baekhyun just behind him. He sneered down at her with crossed arms, her headphones hanging out his fingers. “So last day, Victoria,” he stated. “What are you doing after school? Any big summer plans?”

“Actually, yes,” Vic smirked. “I plan on getting the hell away from all of you and keeping it that way.” As much as she didn’t want to admit it, Kris scared the out of her. He wasn’t as tall as Chanyeol, but he was so intimidating. Where the devil twins were goofy and annoying, he just seemed... ruthless.

With a roll of his eyes, he tossed the headphones down and turned away from here. “Yeah, we’ll see about that. Come on, it’s almost time for that stupid picture.”

 

After the flash went off, the students were dismissed. With the rest of her class, Vicky rushed out of the school doors. She pulled off the stupid tie, she untucked the white shirt, and she dropped her bag in the dumpster she passed. At the end of most days, Tao would be waiting for her at the gates, but today was different. It as barely three in the afternoon, and Tao still had two classes left.

Vicky knew the walk home though, since she took it most days with Tao. There was a good bit on construction going on nearby that cut off the sidewalk, so Tao showed her a trail through the woods that let out right down the road from her house. It was summer, so the trees had beautiful green leaves. Most of the ground was covered in pines and rotten tree branches, but the path was still very clear.

Once Vic had gotten about halfway down the trail, she started to get nervous. It was like there were eyes boring into her back, and she felt silly every time she looked over her shoulder to see if she was being followed. After the third glance, she laughed at herself and ran her hand through her hair. “Quit it, Vic,” she mumbled, “There’s nothing there.”

A snap behind her made her whip around again, just in time to see a rabbit dash across the path. “Son of a ,” she breathed, clutching her chest. Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, she tried to calm herself. “You are in the woods,” she muttered. “There are sounds and animals and-”

A deep growl sent a cold shiver up her spine. She could feel the creature’s breath on her neck and gulped.

 

 

 

*** Hey Guys! I know it's been a long time, but I'm going to be remaking this story! BEtter writing style, better descriptions, but the same story! I hope you all enjoy it!