Chapter twelve

Everything Started Out Normal...

After the situation with Baekhyun, Julie and Tanner offered Victoria a room to sleep in for the night since it was late and the woods were dangerous at night, even for wolves. Victoria agreed, and after calling to inform Maggie and Reese, who come to think of it had a lot of explaining to do as well, Julia led her up to a spare room.

“Normally when someone stays at their mates pack they would sleep with their mate,” Julia explained as she helped to make the bed. “‘But Susan move to the castle a while ago to work under the king. She took basically everything with her. But I’m sure we can find one or two things for you. Amber is sleeping at her friends house so you’ll have the room to yourself.”

Victoria nodded as they finished making the bed. She had insisted before that the couch would have been fine, but that ended with Tanner shouting about how Baekhyun should actually be giving her his bed at the very least. Despite her fear when the man began shouting, Baekhyun hadn’t come back down. Julia claim it was because he knew she was actually safe.

“The bathroom is right across the hall,” Julia explained. She had placed a fresh set of clothes on the bed as well. “There should be an extra toothbrush in the cabinet, probably a hair brush too. If you can’t find something you need, just let me know or use Baekhyun’s. Even if he hates it, his wolf won’t. Oh! And lock the door if you’re in there in the morning. Chanyeol forgets to knock.”

Julia reached out and wrapped Victoria in a hug again, this one she returned happily. As much as Victoria didn’t want to admit it, this stranger had been kinder to her than her own parents tended to be. The thought made Victoria tear up a bit. Julia pulled away and smiled at her, wiping her cheeks. “Oh, don’t cry, dear. He’ll come around.”

Nodding even though it had nothing to do with Baekhyun, Victoria sniffled and watched Julia kiss her forehead and leave the room. Sighing, Victoria changed into the clothing. It was a bit loose on her, but she didn’t care as she crawled into the bed and stared at the ceiling above her. Having spent most of the day sleeping, she was having a hard time relaxing enough to do it now. A million and one questions floated around her head.

She was still somewhat lost on what the were exactly. Clearly, they were werewolves, but werewolves in movies were always disturbing wolfman hybrids.

Except for twilight she thought. twilight.

Sighing for what felt like the hundredth time today, Victoria sat up and lean against the headboard. She looked down at her hands, her knuckles were scabbed over, but didn’t look or feel broken. She flexed her hands in disbelief, so sure she had broken them before. Looking up, she hopped out of bed and rushed across the hall into the bathroom, shutting and locking the door behind her. Pulling the shirt off her, she leaned in closer to the mirror. Slowly she began to pull the bandages off of her shoulder.

Shaking hands pulled away the cloth to reveal nothing. Smooth skin lay were the cloth had been. Victoria glanced down at the bandage and saw blood covering it. Before she could think anymore of it, someone knocked on the door.

“Hurry up,” Baekhyun called from the other side. Pulling her shirt over her head quickly and dropping the cloth onto the count, Victoria unlocked and opened the door. Baekhyun frowned and opened his mouth to probably be an but was cut short when Victoria yanked him into the bathroom with her and locked the door behind them. “No you’re supposed to leave when you let someone else in. Bathrooms haven’t changed across species.”

“You were there when I was attacked today, right?” she asked him ignoring his comment. “That was you but like wolf you?”

He glared at her. “Yes, that was me in my wolf form. It was mostly him but I was in attendance.”

“Right,” she continued to ignore his attitude. Victoria felt her palms beginning to sweat and rubbed them on her shorts. “What happened before you lunged at us?” She asked. “When he tried to use me as a shield. What happened?”

Crossing his arms over his chest, Baekhyun leaned against the counter. “What’s it matter? You’re fine aren’t you?” When she didn’t answer him, he sighed deeply. “Let me see it,” he said, reaching or her shirt collar.

Victoria pulled away from him, her arms wrapping around her chest. “What? No!”

“Oh shut up,” he said, grabbing her arm and pulling her to him. The electricity sparked from his touch again. Victoria noticed he was quick to let go. “Who the hell do you think changed you out of the blood clothes to begin with? You don’t have I didn’t already know about.”

“You changed me?!” she gasped, shoving him away. “I assumed it was Julia! Or Maggie!”

“No, my wolf thinks your his mate,” he growled at her. “He wouldn’t let anyone else do it. You’re making a bigger deal out of it than it is. Trust me, I didn’t like what I saw.” His words were like a shot through her chest. So much so, she winced and grabbed her chest, looking away from him. He didn’t acknowledge it. Instead he approached her and pulled her collar aside, looking for the wound. “Huh.” Was all he said.

“What’s that supposed to me?” she snapped at him.

Baekhyun shrugged his shoulders. “Looks like you healed. You had a bite mark there, but clearly it’s gone. It’s probably from being surrounded by so many werewolves while you were healing. Point is your fine. Can I pee now?”

Before she could answer him, he was pushing her out the door, slamming and locking it behind her. Slightly more hurt than before, Victoria made her way down the stairs again, surprised to see Julia in the kitchen waiting for her. Julia held out a glass to her, and victoria took it and took a seat.

“Mrs. Byun?” Victoria asked once they had both taken a seat. Julia had gotten a cookie jar down from a cabinet and set it in from of her with some milk.

“Oh please, dear, call me Julia is nothing else”

“Right then,” she nodded. “Julia maybe you can answer me, since Baekhyun won’t.” VIctoria hadn’t realized she said his name so harshly until Julia looked shocked. Ignoring it, Victoria pulled the collar down to show her shoulder. “I had a bite mark here from the man, but it’s gone. Baekhyun said it’s from being around werewolves but-”

Julia gave a short laugh. “No, no,” she said. “It’s because you’re around him, and he knows it too. We heal faster around our mates, and considering he didn’t leave your side until Tanner sent him away, I’d be more surprised if it was still there.”

“Does that count for broken bones too?”

“If you mean your knuckles, then yes. It takes longer, but it’s still much faster.”

Victoria nodded slowly. “Can I ask you something else?” Julia nodded as she dipped a cookie into the milk. “He said that his wolf thinks I’m his mate. What does he mean? It’s that just still him?”

Giving a shrug, Julia said, “Yes and no. His wolf is apart of him, but his wolf is a conscious spirit with it’s own thoughts and emotions. We can communicate with our wolves, and other than getting a feel for what your mates wolf is feeling, no one else can. I’m sure you’ve notice that our eyes can turn blue sometimes? It’s a pact trait. If someone’s eyes have turned blue like that, it means their wolf has either taken over or is trying to. Our wolves and impulsive, driven by emotion, and our human sides have to control them.”

“So that’s why he says it’s his wolf,” Victoria mumbled. “He’s pushing the blame.”

After taken a bite of a cookie, Julia pointed it at her. “Exactly,” she said behind a mouth full. Victoria grinned at he as she at the rest of the cookie. “I love my pup, but he’s being a coward. I’d argue with him, but I’m sure he’s getting it enough between his brothers and father. Momma’s gotta baby him, after all.” She put a hand on her stomach with a smile. “Until this little guy comes out, he’s the baby!”

Victoria smiled at her belly. “Do you know if its a boy or girl?”

Julia shook her head. “We always leave it up to a surprise. I’m think a boy though! I haven’t been wrong yet!”

 

After eating too many cookies with Julia, the two finally said good night and headed off to bed. By now, Victoria had actually grown tried and opened her door with a yawn. Her head hit the pillow like a ton of bricks and she passed out under the covers.

She woke up in a field of tall tan wheat. The rows went on for miles in all directions with no end in sight. Victoria looked up to a blood red sky and unconsciously held herself tighter.

“Victoria,” a voice called out. Victoria looked around the field, but saw no one in sight.

“Hello?” she called back. She began walking through the field, following the voice.

“Victoria.” It sounded so familiar, yet so far away. She couldn’t place it. “Come to me.”

“Who are you?” Victoria shouted to the sky. She ran through the field. Her bare feet bleed as she passed over rocks and sticks that pierced her, but she didn’t slow. “Please! Where are you?!”

A low growl came from behind her. Victoria turned to see a cherry red wolf with chocolate eyes stalking toward her.

Victoria sat up straight in bed, a cold sweat coating her body. She ran a shaking hand through her hair as she looked around the room. A shudder past through her when her eyes landed on the person in the door. Blue eyes stared back at her.

His face blank; his eyes held every emotion on display for her. She could see anger, frustration, hatred even, swirling in the chocolate surrounding his pupil, but the blue was different. The blue held fear and wonder. It pleaded with her to understand, it begged her to hold and, and it confirmed she was his mate.

A fuzzy pit in her stomach formed as she got lost in his eyes. She hadn’t even noticed he was approaching her. Baekhyun sat down on the bed next to her and brushed her hair out of her eyes. “I’m sorry,” he whispered. “I know this isn’t your fault. I never wanted you to get hurt.”

Victoria took slow breaths as she tried to calm to hammering in her chest that came with his touch. “Why are you doing this?”

Her voice was hushed, but he didn’t miss the waver in it. “I don’t have a choice,” he told her. “If I keep you, you’ll just get hurt. You’re only human, and I don’t want to shift you. It would be so painful for you, for days.”

“I don’t get a choice then?” she asked. Her voice had hardened slightly.

She expected Baekhyun to lose his temper, but he just shook her head and stood up. “Sorry, but no. I’m not taking the risk of losing you.”

Victoria stood up from the bed and grabbed him by the back of his shirt. “You’d rather just give up? Am I not worth the fight?”

He sighed and turned to face her again. Reaching out he placed his hand on her cheek, she leaned into his hand, reaching up with her own to hold his there. “You’re always worth the fight, Vic. You’re not worth losing to the out come. I’m sorry.”

In an instant, he pulled his hand away and walked out the door. She heard the front door slam and a wolf’s howl seconds after.