Chapter Two

Everything Started Out Normal...

Vic stood there a moment unable to move. She could smell the rot on the animal’s breath and could feel the heat coming off of its chest. Another snap on her left made her jerk her head. A black wolf the size of a horse stepped out of the brush, four more of the dogs behind it. Were the black wolf was largest, the others were nothing to sneeze at. Victoria found herself staring into the eyes of the black wolf. The blood red eyes of the beast that walked up to her until it stood, towering over her.

She couldn’t tear her eyes away. Vic stood with this wolf for what seemed like hours, just staring at each other. The hot breath of the wolf behind her made her nape sweat, but she did not move to wipe it away. Yellow fangs hung down from the black wolf’s mouth, and a deep growl rumbled in his chest. Then, reality seemed to slam into Vicky. A scream swam up , and she reached to gouge out the animal’s eyes with her nails.  

The word seemed to move in slow motion. When she reached for its eyes, the black wolf swiftly moved its head aside only to bring it back beneath her arm. With a flick of his neck, Victoria was sent off into a tree and crashing into the rotten branch beneath it. Coughing, she struggled to lift her head.

The black wolf’s ear twitched, and it stared down the path. Victoria pushed herself to her feet, never taking her eyes off the wolves. She heard the howl. It was rich and sharp, like it came from an entire pack at once. When she stood, she took a fallen branch with her. The black wolf turned back to her, and almost looked to laugh. To laugh at her.

It barked. Vic winced at the sound. It barked, and spit flew from its jaws. It barked, and the trees shook. Her bones rattled from the sound, and chills crawled over her skin. It barked, and lunged at Victoria.

Before she could breath, she was tackled to the ground, and she heard an animal wince. Opening her eyes, she stared up at cherry fur and blue eyes. A giant wolf, much like the black ones friends stood over her, staring down at her. But this wolf didn’t bark or bite. He didn’t bare his teeth and growl.

This wolf nuzzled her hair.

But as fast as the wolf came, he jumped away. Vic watched as this wolf stood in front of her. Past him, two other wolves were growling at the black wolf. An almost white wolf who stood even taller than the black wolf stood by the cherry one. He didn’t growl or bite; he just stared. Beside him was another black wolf, but he was smaller than the one with red eyes. The black wolf’s friends came to stand around it. They all growled together at the three in front of Vicky, but the white wolf did nothing.

Then, the white wolf stepped forward. The white wolf stepped, and a chorus of howls came from behind Vic. When she turned, she nearly fainted. Behind her stood even more wolves, all of different colors but the same crystal blue eyes. They came towards her, and Vic backed away, bumping into the cherry wolf. The wolf was like a stone, and she stumbled to the ground at his feet.

The most horrifying sound she had ever heard rang in the air. It was an awful mix of a growl and a bark, deep and clear. It was demonic, dark, and threatening. The growl seemed to never end, and when Vic closed her eyes, she heard it.

“She is not yours to take.”

Horrified, Vic stood and whipped around to stare at the white wolf. She heard him speak. “No,” she groaned, and the cherry wolf glanced at her. Her voice was thick and hoarse; she didn’t recognize it at her own. “No… You did not…”

The red eyed wolf looked at her again. His eyes were cold and hard, but he stepped back. When his friends turned to leave, the red eyed wolf stared at the white wolf a second longer before following them out of the forest.

Vic wished she could say a weight left her chest, but it did not. Now, the white wolf turned to face her. His eyes faded from that same red to a cool and cold black. The wolf took slow steps towards her, but the ground still seemed to shake beneath him. Vic began to back away, but the cherry wolf stood behind her, blocking her path.

This is where I die. Vic thought as the wolf stopped in front of her. He was over a head taller than her, and he stared down at her with unreadable eyes. I’m going to be eaten by a pack of wolves.

She sniffed. Vic hadn’t realized she had been crying, but who could blame her. After what she just saw? Not a chance. The white wolf lowered his head so he could look her in the eyes. Another sniff. Victoria squeezed her eyes closed and held her breath. Just make it quick.

One second. Shallow tears rolled down her cheeks.

Two seconds. Vic couldn’t hold her breath, and it came out in small puffs of air.

Three seconds. The anticipation hurt her heart. She thought of her parents. Would they even hear about it? Would anyone call them?

Four seconds. Would anyone know what happened to her?

Five seconds. Would anyone recognize her?

Six seconds. Would anyone even find her body…?

Finally, Vic couldn’t take it any longer. Her shaking hands wiped her tears away and her eyes ripped open. She was so angry; she was so scared. Why weren’t they eating her yet? What were they waiting for?

When her eyes flew open, they were met with trees. Vic’s head whipped around, but the wolves were gone. Her eyes traced the trees, but she saw no signs. Glancing at the ground, Vic shuddered. Human footprints remained. Bare human footprints.