Chapter 8: Jiyong

The Haunted House

I looked at the clock on the wall possibly with ferocious intolerance. I had always liked the clock with its monstrous qualities. Instead of a golden metal with a circle, its pendulum was made from a tongue of a wild Tiger. Its exterior and interior was made entirely from pure Tiger skin, its hands were made from Tiger ears and the numbers were written from its blood, already dried but still evident. It was marvellous with how it worked, but now that it tells me that its thirty minutes before my scheduled meeting with my boss, I now hate how the clock tells the time.

It has been five hours since Sandara left with Seungri's girlfriend, CR. She had promised to get back for the meeting but still hasn't returned from her journey. Ever since the clock made a roaring sound that rang around the house to indicate that it was an hour before twelve, I had waited on my chair inside the dining area.

It wasn't until Seungri took notice and told me that I realized I have been biting my nails. "You're biting your nails, Hyung. It's disgusting."

I quickly stopped, intertwined my fingers instead and sighed. We all sat in the long table in the dining area, waiting for Sandara to come back from her trip with CR. Everyone was silent except for Top's fingers, which are tapping noisily against his MonsterBook's keyboard. It created a rhythm, and when I was about to hum, Top suddenly stopped typing. Then Top suddenly screamed, not a high-pitch shriek but a scream as if he rode a roller coaster. All of us turned to him, where he sat on the table facing his MonsterBook. Top clutched the either sides of his laptop, his eyes wide and mouth agape with shock.


Taeyang was worried too and was the first one to ask. "Hyung," He started. "Close your mouth. It's very disgusting."

"I-I-I--" Top stammered and I just noticed that his mouth was also trembling like his hands. We have turned all our attention to him, momentarily forgetting about Sandara and patiently waited as he formed his words. "I just saw--Oh no, this is bad." Top again said. "This is bad."

"What is it? Did the Ferocious Fangs win over Pugnacious Paws?" Daesung asked, now irritated more than curious.

Seungri laughed. "Paws? The wolves still haven't changed their names for twenty years?"

Top says, "The Depart of Local Affairs sensed a very strange activity at one of the haunted houses guarded by SM's praestabilis monsters. It was just for mere three seconds, giving them time to notice and it disappeared right after they took notice. The Department is currently looking what type of radiation this activity caused to know what it is, but some of the experts say that it was a Pax.” Top shook his head rapidly. "See, At 11 o' clock in the morning in EXO's Haunted House at Gyeonggi-do, there was a record of an unusual sighting. Park Chanyeol was found wounded in the bathroom without his Esurient. The voice, who by chance had bought Monoil, said that the oil boiled at 10:50 in the morning, the recorded trespassing of the Pax. The public are being warned by the government to keep their Esurient with them at all costs and to not trust anyone who hasn't have an Esurient."

I tapped furiously against the table and murmured, "Where's Dara?"

Seungri gasped. "Oh no, not a Pax! They're blood- monsters!"

Daesung rolled his eyes. "Those are vampires."
 

Seungri chewed on his nails and asked again, "Are Pax the creatures that only go off at night?"

"Are you stupid?" Taeyang said. "We already said that those are vampires. At least they are near to our kind. Pax are unlikely types. They could be humans, monsters or animals."

Daesung shifted uncomfortably from his seat, almost fidgeting. "What are Pax anyway?"

I cleared my throat. "Like Taeyang said, they could be any living thing in this world, which makes them hard to find. Paxes are only born of the same bloodline, though every after three generations of the Pax ancestor. Pax could never get hurt by our kind and therefore, feared. They kill any monster that gets in their way and gets our Esurient, the symbol of our monstrosity." I paused for a few seconds and continued, "They're unforgiving and selfish beings. They will do anything to end our race."

"The government did a Pax hunting hundred years ago in attempt to kill Paxes and spread a message: leave us alone. All the Paxes were killed and since they're rare, they cease to exist." Top continued. "With the recent Pax sighting, however, the government is torn whether to commence it once again to find that one Pax or alert the public and let them kill it instead."

I abruptly stood up from my seat, gritting my teeth. “Where is Sandara anyway? She could get hurt or worse, killed by that Pax.”

Before I could call CR myself, a very irritating ringtone, which I assume belongs to Seungri, rang around the room. He fumbled for his phone inside his pocket and quickly answered it.

“Hello?” Seungri asked. There were a few cracks and he begin to mutter words of approval. It took him a few minutes to end the conversation and he looked at me rather worriedly.

“The word about the Pax came into CR’s knowledge too. They’re hiding somewhere safe back at the town.” He said, and he trembled under my cold gaze. “Hyung?” He called.

I gritted my teeth. “She told they’ll come back!”

“Yeah, but…” Seungri’s voice trailed off and it took him a while before he continued, “Of course CR’s scared too for their lives. It’s good they’re at the town right? It’s safer there.”

I grabbed my coat hanging from the back of my chair and wore it on. “I’m going to get them. Call CR again and tell her I’m going to pick them up.”

Seungri fumbled for his phone again, trying to press speed dial but before he could, the doors burst open. It was so sudden that I didn’t hear them coming.

Sangjanim smirked at us, a tobacco in his mouth and said, “You’re under arrest boys.”

Of course we are. What can we do to an army of ten praestabilis monsters armed by guns?

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you by the state.” Sangjanim smirked. “If you could have one that is.”

His army ran forward until they were behind us. I thought at first they were joking until they poked their guns against our backs, and force us to drop on the floor and lie face down.

I could only hear sangjanim’s chuckles and his footsteps as he goes closer to us.