Chapter 2: Jiyong

The Haunted House

"Get in!"


"It's time again for another boy sacrifice." Top comments, rolling his eyes and rests his chin on one hand, lazily. I lean my back to the backrest, closing my eyes before Top continues, "And I bet, he'll kill himself in fear before he could even step in the house."


"Dara! Dara! I'll be the black knight. You don't have to do it!" 


Their mouths gaped, astonished and Seungri began to exclaim, his eyes showing his excitement, then, throws his hands in the air, jumping out from his seat. "It's a girl! Alas! For almost 20 years, it'll be a girl!"


"It's 27 years for me." Top says, rolling his eyes, but then it was replaced by a huge smile before commenting, "I think...this year will be good...for us."


"Omo! Hyung is a erted beast!" Daesung comments, pointing at Top with a crooked smile, and clasp his hands, looking up at the ceiling before saying, "I wish it'll be a beautiful Noona."


"I hope it'll be the girl Jiyong visits every night." Taeyang butts in, a wide smile plastered on his face, and I turn to him, sending daggers through my glare, but then he's not even bothered, continuing, "I can't believe that you actually believed ahjumma that her daughter is your future wife. I mean, who's in the proper state of mind to still believe in shamans?"


"Really? Hyung still visits ahjumma's daughter? But as far as I know, he's jealous that a guy accompanied her home and promised himself he'll not visit her again." Daesung cups his chin, looking up at the ceiling with a bothered face, then he looks directly at me again, asking, "Hyung, what do you really feel for her?"


I press my lips together, pressing my fingers on my mouth. "I'm still troubled."


"Troubled? You call that 'troubled'? Going outside your comfort place just to visit her is called 'troubled' with your feelings?" Top comments, slamming his hands on the table. "It's just like you said that I'm troubled if the town likes me or not."


"Of course they like you! They offer VIPs for us every year!" Seungri exclaims, raising his hands in the air, proudly and we all turn to him. We all gave him a glare, and slowly, his hands move down, his face dimming, while saying, "Oh...yeah."


When the front door closes, we heard it perfectly even if we're in the kitchen and the footsteps of the first girl VIP are heard everywhere, repetitive like a mantra in our ears. Then, Top suddenly stands up, placing his palms in his pockets, smirking ersely to us.


I raise a bow, looking at him with curiosity. "Where are you going?"


"Isn't it obvious? I'm going to see for myself who's the lucky girl." He says, his smirk still plastered on his face. "Dare to come?"


"No, I've got some other business to do." I say, standing up from my seat and he chuckles before saying, "Going to visit your future wife, eh?"


I press my lips together and look at the opposite side, trying to hide my blush. "N-No...”


"Whatever. Oi! What about the rest of you? Dare to see?" 


"OH! YES!" Daesung exclaims, raising his arm in the air, jumping up from his seat.


"Mind if I come too?" Taeyang says, standing up from his seat also, both hands in his pockets.


"I shall come!" Seungri salutes to no one in particular, looking straightly forward and I sigh, getting my coat on the chair I was sitting at a while ago before wearing it. They exited at the other door, while I exit at the back door, all by myself. I wrap the half of my face with my black scarf, hiding the piercing and my monster-like look, so I can't scare the townsmen if there are any who'll see me by chance.


There'll be a new sacrifice again, that they thought we'll use. That they thought we'll kill for fun. That they thought we needed them. I hate October 31st, I hate Halloween, I hate this day, and I hate them. They thought we're born monsters because of our strength, talents and everything about us, also classifying the looks. Ever since I can remember, there are sacrifices going in this house for the 5 of us, and I still don't know why. But because of fear, they end up killing themselves, which the townsmen thought is our doing. They thought we're malicious, that we're not human. That we kill people because of our liking. That we're demons. That...



We're monsters.
 

 

I patiently look outside the window of the ahjumma's house, watching them as they gather in the kitchen, their faces rather sad this day. Then, I saw the girl who’s always with the girl I visit, her tears strolling like waterfalls through her cheeks and when I scan the room, I saw the guy who always accompanies her home, his face also in distress. 


"Tch." I muttered, scanning the room once again, but even a glimpse, I can't find her. The features that I've memorized, familiarized is not there. And I feel weak, very weak, to the point that my knees are numb. They tremble beneath me with my lips equally quivering and I clutch onto my heart, the melancholy slowly getting its way to my hypothalamus. 


Luckily, ahjumma saw me, excused herself to her family and exit the house, wearing a hood to cover her face. "Jiyong, you're here."


I bow at her, my hands in my pockets to keep me warm before answering, "I'm here to accompany you."


"You can't lie to me, Jiyong. I'm a fortune teller, I know everything." She says, smiling widely at me. "You're here to visit my daughter are you?"


A blush creeps up to my cheeks and I look at the opposite side, hiding my face. Then, she chuckles before answering, "I see, you don't have to be shy. I'll be your future mother-in-law after all."


I look at her, raising one brow before looking down, playing with my feet. "I...don't think that'll work out. I mean, she doesn't know me. She only knows my real name, not the real me. She hasn’t met me. What if...What if when she met me, she'll hate me because I'm...I'm like this."


"Don't worry." She assures, massaging one of my shoulders, smiling with assurance. "My daughter is not like that. Don't you know she doesn't date guys because of you? She'll wait for you, because she believes destiny can't be prevailed."


"I hope so, ahjumma. I hope so." I force up a smile, and outreach my hand to her, bowing. "Shall we?"


She takes my hand, slapping my shoulder lightly. "Aigoo, you're buying my vote through your moves right?"


I wiggle my eyebrows, smiling wickedly as we started to walk, with me a little faster than her. "I think so...”


"That won't work, Jiyong. My daughter is still the one who'll be decisioning." 


"Ahjumma?"


"Yes?"


"What if...What if she'll not love me back?"


"I doubt Jiyong. I really doubt."


Our tracks stop in front of my house, and the doors automatically opened, ahjumma going in first. I follow her in, lips pursed together and the door closed behind us, a loud sound following after. She motions me that she'll go upstairs to meet him, so I bow at her and proceeded to our room, taking out my scarf from covering my face. I exasperated a sigh, opening the twin oak door leading to the music room, then to the door across that leads to the bedroom, peering in first. I saw a body lying on my bed, her body rolled to the side, blissfully asleep. 


The girl VIP


"Might as well dare to see." I whisper to myself and walk towards her, closing the door behind me. Her hair is covering her face, so I carefully tuck it behind her ear, seeing her face completely. My mouth gaped with whom I saw, nearly having a heart attack with the reaction. Then, I cover my mouth withhold inside the shriek that was about to go out, my eyes wide open as I stare at her, my face flustered. 


Her eyes slowly dart open, seeing me with nothing to cover my ugly face and then her eyes suddenly widens, making me jerk back suddenly, so I quickly whip my body around, but before I could run, she grabbed my hand.

 

 "Please...stay." She murmured, and I blushed.


She forced me to face her, and I quickly complied, my knees trembling. Then, she pulls me to an embrace, her face against my abdomen. "Don't...leave me."