Chapter 5: Sandara

The Haunted House

I just felt like posting some random funny monster-related pictures. This one caught my eye just recently, since Top looks like he's really trolling. Lol. Push mo pa Top!


Even though GD strictly said I am not allowed to come and the others can’t deny him because he’s the leader, I still managed over him and he agreed I can go with them. I did everything with the remaining six hours just to convince GD that I won’t do anything stupid to their town, and I won’t blurt their monster secrets once I’m free from their house. Besides, as if they’ll set me free, right?

 

I wore my Alice in the Wonderland costume tonight, since the other boys were fully dressed and applied heavy mascara on my eyes to appear monster-ly to the monsters. GD lent me one of his black robes, and I also wore it on my costume. One thing I don’t want to happen is being known I’m human while I’m at the monsters’ territory. That doesn’t sound so good and friendly.

 

Once I got out of the bedroom, they were already waiting for me in the music room, doing nothing asides from standing and poking each other. GD was wearing a black tuxedo over a white tuxedo shirt, and a tall Abraham Lincoln type of hat on his head. His red hair was put down so it looked like a bowl cut, but then, he looks extremely handsome than the previous days. Taeyang was wearing a simple black shirt beneath a tuxedo paired with torn jeans and black leather shoes. Top wore a black button down and gray jeans, looking casual and cool with his Ray Ban sunglasses. Can he see with that thing? Seungri wore a black coat paired with gray tight pants. On the other hand, Daesung looked cute with his black dinner jacket and tuxedo shirt and plain black pants. The boys looked charming.

 

“Why did you wear that?” Top pointed at my costume.

 

“I don’t have anything to wear.” I explained, and clutched my skirt, lifting it slightly up.

 

“You should change,” Top said, pointing again at my costume and I find it very disturbing. “The other monsters will automatically know you’re human with your dress. They probably have watched have the annual offering at the local TV.”

 

“What will I change into? This is my best dress.” I pouted, crossing my arms over my chest.

 

“Oh, I know!” Taeyang lightly slam his right fist against his left palm.  “Seungri’s previous girlfriend left a black dress after he broke up with her.”

 

“Why did Yoona decided to leave one behind?” Seungri asked, bewildered.

 

“She believes on the fact you’ll miss her, and come begging in front of her, telling you need her and everything.” Taeyang said, and looked up at the ceiling. “Yeah, she loves you like that.”

 

Daesung sang, “I-I love you like a love song baby. I-I love you like a love song baby.”

 

We all looked at Seungri, and waited for him to say anything about his ex-girlfriend Yoona, because an ex leaving a dress is something that doesn’t occur every day. He was biting his lip, and then, clapping his hand he said, “Okay, you can get it. I don’t mind, I have CR.”

 

“Okay,” Taeyang shrugged. “If you say so. Come on, Dara, follow me.”

 

I followed Taeyang to the bedroom, and he hovered over to the small drawer at the corner of the room near Seungri’s bed while I settled on Taeyang’s bed—the middle bed. He took a glance at me, smirking and opened it, tiny flies and dust flying away from inside. I looked from my spot, craning my neck and stretching my eyebrows up and I saw him get black clothing from inside. He stood up, and showed me the dress with his natural grin, his small great eyes also smiling.  It was a black sleeveless lace dress with a tube dress underneath it to maintain its slightly puffed up style and to cover up the torso that the lace can’t hide.

 

“Yoona likes laces.” Taeyang said, tossing the dress at me and I was lucky enough to catch it.

 

“Will this be enough?” I asked, standing up and placed the dress on top of me, checking where it would end. It was not short for my liking, resting only three inches after my knees and besides, the tube dress underneath can cover up my chest and my legs.

 

“It’s more than enough. Actually, we dress like this because we can’t enter the private club wearing something inappropriate.” He laughed, closing the door using his leg. “Most of the monsters that weren’t trained the way we were trained wear clothes that are way too inappropriate. They still wear trunks when its winter when they think it would fit their perfectly toned abdominal muscles or whatever.”

 

“Why?” I asked, wrapping the dress horizontally around my body and he sat down on Seungri’s bed, his back facing me.

 

He looked at me over his shoulder. “Monsters are much tamed creatures. We think and act boldly because some of us think that innocence is not needed in this world.”

 

I stared at myself in the mirror, making two sets of twirls and turns. There wasn’t much to look at, but I felt the dress made my skin stand out. My flat chest suddenly became bigger than how it’s supposed to be, because the dress had its own padding you don’t have to wear one anymore and my figure became noticeable, a slight hourglass frame. The lace didn’t feel itchy against my skin, but rather comfortable and light, making me feel I’m not wearing anything at all. With enough prodding by myself, I went to GD’s cabinet and grab myself one of his black expensive-looking ankle-length boots. I wore it on, and for the nth time brushed my hair.

 

I stopped, feeling I have taken too much time getting ready. “Okay, Dara, monsters are just monsters. They won’t harm you unless you make one move.”

 

I settled the hairbrush on GD’s bedside table and exited the bedroom, the five boys still waiting for me.  Seungri was the first one to stare, his eyes trailing continuously up from down and then, the others followed suit, except for Taeyang because he’s too busy playing the piano. Daesung punched his arm, but Taeyang just shrugged it off, not even taking a glance up. After a few seconds, when he felt there was too much silence, he looked up at the four boys, still playing and then, slowly the music fades away. He looked over his shoulder, and his jaw dropped. I felt myself blush until the tips of my toes.

 

I gulped, and shakily said, “Uh, guys, this doesn’t feel so good. Can we stop the staring?”

 

“Of course, let’s stop the staring.” Top was the first one to stop. “We’re going to be late.”

 

“Why are you wearing my boots?” GD asked, closing his opened mouth.

 

“I was thinking I could use it. If you want I can change.” I pointed at the door behind me using my thumb.

 

“No, it’s isn’t necessary.” He waved his hand as he also shakes his head. “Not at all.”

 

“Okay, if you say so.” I fidget with my feet, rubbing it against his each other and GD’s ears suddenly turned red.

 

Top laughed. “He can’t hold it in.” And the others except GD also laughed.

 

“I think we should go, before this turns into something naughty.” Top laughed and turned, walking towards the door. The others followed suit, except for GD.

 

“I think you should wear this, in case.” He showed me his black robe, and I walked up to him, nodding. He helped me wore it on, and I felt my heart suddenly leap when I felt his breath against my nape, warm and ticklish.

 

He must’ve felt me shiver, because he took a step backward. “I think we should follow them.”

 

I nodded, and held his hand. “Thanks,”

 

He smiled for a moment and pulled me to him. I stride faster to keep up with his pace, and after a few seconds, he slowed down and we walked beside each other. He wasn’t talking as we travel the stairs, not even giving me recaps about how we will travel or what will I say. GD kept his mouth firmly shut.

 

A minute later, he opened the first door on my side and I saw the others waiting for us. Top was about to open the cabinet, and without looking at us, he said, “Took you two long.”

 

“Does it still work?” GD asked, breaking his grasp from my hand and walked over to Top.

 

“Of course it will, but I can’t open it unlike you. If you can remember clearly, leaders are the one responsible for opening the portals...”  Top rolled his eyes, and made way for GD, bowing his body slightly with his arm pointing at the door courtly. “Please open it, your highness.”

 

“Portal?” I repeated under my breath.

 

“We use it to travel quickly towards town.” Daesung sheepishly smiled, fidgeting.“You know, the monster town.”

 

GD placed his hand over the cabinet. There were creaking and squeaking sounds inside, and the furniture suddenly glowed in red with a Ω sign. GD opened the cabinet, and I was blinded by the white light coming from inside. I winced, and instinctively, I raise up my hands to my eyes. There was too much light coming from inside that it took me a minute to adjust, while the boys, because they’re used to it, just stood on their spots waiting for me.

 

“I’m going in first.” Seungri volunteered, grinning widely. “I’m going to meet my CR.”

 

Seungri charged inside, and he disappeared under the blinding white light. Daesung grunted beside me, muttered, “The name of his girlfriend still sounds nasty and unhygienic.” and followed Seungri, walking casually towards the cabinet. He put a foot first inside, his eyes getting used to the blinding light and when he stopped squinting, he finally got inside.  I slightly felt scared when the light kind of ate him, and instinctively, I lunged forward, reaching out for the cabinet. When my eyes trailed around without my face moving with it, I saw GD looking at me, and he chuckled, his hand clambered on his mouth. I blushed, straightening myself and looked back at the cabinet, turning serious with my arms crossed over my chest.

 

Taeyang started to jog, a grin plastered upon his face and he ran towards the cabinet, shouting, “Fighting!” When he had entered the cabinet, his voice starts to fade out until we only heard a faint, “Phuy.”

 

“I don’t know about you two, but I’m going in.” Top said. “I’m going to wait at the other side.” He skimmed a thumb over his shoulder and casually walked to the other side of the cabinet, humming a tune only he created. The light swallowed his silhouette up, and I and GD were covered only by silence.

 

“It doesn’t hurt.” GD assured and outreached his hand for me. “Ready?”

 

I held his hand, tightly and nodded, gulping. “Um.”

 

We slowly walk over to the cabinet and in unison, we entered. For a moment, all I could see was white and then it shifted, turning into a place derived straight from the 1650’s. The buildings were built like of those in the 1650 era with carriages used for transportation and pavements and roads made from pure stone. Though amidst of this kind of architecture, the boys were right about the monsters’ tameness. I saw a group of girls wearing black feather boas. My grip on GD’s hand tightened.

 

“They don’t hurt fellow monsters as long as you act you like them. Come on,” He winked at me, and pulled me towards the others, who I just newly noticed waiting beside a post with a picture of a carriage. Seungri was with a girl also wearing a black robe like mine, and I guess that would be CR. Taeyang was talking to someone through a payphone just by the wall near the post, Top was leaning against the post while he’s looking at his nails and Daesung was singing nonchalantly, making the girls in the black feather boas stop for a moment and swoon.

 

“Oh, Dara, meet my girlfriend, CR.” Seungri said as soon as he saw me, and he told CR to turn. She gladly obliged, and for a moment, I saw Chaerin. CR was looking monster-ly but then there was something in her eyes that made me think she’s Chaerin. My eyebrows meet in the middle.

 

“Ah, Seungri, won’t your meeting with YG will be in two minutes?” CR told Seungri, her voice was graceful. “You boys should get going; I’ll give Dara a small tour. Just small so that GD can still tour her around.”

 

GD hesitated, because he tightened his grip on my hand but then he still said, “Fine,” and took off his grasp. A carriage stopped in front of me, and the boys slowly piled in. GD waved his hand, smiling softly and the carriage pulled out, the horse’s hooves slamming against the stone road. CR quickly grabbed my arm and dragged me towards somewhere I don’t know. If this is her way of touring, I would just gladly wait for the boys at the stop.

 

We reached a park that was hardly visited by people. Bats fly everywhere, and I tensed under CR’s touched. She led me to a bench and let me sit. Looking around, she brought her hood down and occupied the seat beside me. She grabbed both of my hands, her long nails brushing against my wrist.

 

“Dara, you’ve got to help me.” She said, and I craned my neck to the side, exactly where CR is, because her voice sounds familiar. It was something surely I heard every day, like, “Dara, get me a cup of coffee!” and “Dara, where’s Wooyoung!?”

 

I heard CR sigh, heavily and I saw her chest go up then down. “Gosh, we fight almost every day and you still don’t recognize me?  This is Chaerin, Dara. Chaerin the bully.” She said, her voice was soft unlike the Chaerin I grew to know and instinctively, I immediately pulled my hand from her grasp. She let out a collective gasp, but her face tells me she wasn’t stunned. She was prepared for what my reaction is.

 

“Look, I did all of that because I need your help.” Chaerin said, looking around fist before placing her gaze at me. “You’ve got to help me.”

 

“You made my whole life miserable and then, the next thing I will know you’re asking for my help?” I said, my voice tight and somehow, sad as I face palmed.

 

“Look, I have to do that because I need you to be the VIP.” She tried to explain, and for a moment, I saw her desperation. The look in her eyes, it was pleading for something to be done that she hadn’t had a chance to do before.

 

I felt pity, but then, my selfishness still overpowered my heart. “Yeah, and make my life a whole lot miserable.” I mumbled.

 

“That’s not the case, okay?” She grabbed my hands, tighter than before and even if I budge, she won’t let me go.“I want your help for something I can’t do on my own.”

 

“Why me?” I whined, bowing my face down.

 

“Because you’re special.” She grinned, and I looked back at her, pouting.

 

“But you’re not even a monster.” I reasoned out, biting my lower lip.

 

“I’m a monster, Dara. GD got kicked out because when he was a baby, his powers were uncontrollable. Our father was a respectable, and the most powerful monster of all time. I only got half of my father’s powers, and GD got all of it that his baby form didn’t get hold of it strongly. My mother told me to help the monsters and to continue my father’s unfinished business.” She paused. “When I first saw you, I had this gut feeling that you’re the one who could help us. The Wooyoung thing was an act; I don’t really like that bonehead. I did all of that just to make you the VIP for this year.”

 

“But you could have just talked to me directly than making this ridiculous effort.” I whined.

 

She shook her head. “Being a VIP means you have a greater access on monster stuffs and learn about our history in just one go. Humans have this kind of power that we don’t have that could make anyone fall under your spell.”

 

“Aegyo?” I gasped and she nodded, eagerly.

 

“This is ridiculous.” I closed my eyes, shaking my head.

 

“The thing is I need you to learn more about our history. The puzzle pieces don’t fit.  Monsters started to grow in population by 1650’s and the town was created by 1655.  The first monster still lives up until now, which I don’t know how did that person did that when we’re not even immortal.” She explained.

 

“What do you want me to know? Where your race came from?” I grunted, my eyebrows knitted.

 

“No, I want you to help me know the mystery behind our race.” She said. “I need to know why my father died investigating just about this.”

 

“Chaerin, this is ridiculous.” I told her, taking my hands out of her grasp. “This is just plain ridiculous.”

 

“But then, I know you’ll still thankful to me for making you the VIP.” She said, leaning forwards to me. “You like my brother do you?”

 

My face suddenly turned flustered. “What are you talking about? Of course not. If you’re telling me this because I refuse any help—“

 

“I badly want to correct everything right.”She suddenly said, cutting me off and her eyes traveled away. “You know Grim right? He fell in love with a human, and the human eventually fell in love with him too but his training center offered him a job of becoming Grim the Reaper. He was ready to turn down the offer and just live with his girlfriend alone, in the woods probably, but the government kidnapped Sulli. They used her as the key to make Minho agree to the job. I don’t know what happened to Sulli but I know what happened to Minho. The mask he uses slowly eats off the remaining kindness inside him. BigBang has one too, their piercings. If you don’t help me out, there’ll come a time where they’ll kill all the next VIPs including you. The major house rule where innocents are spared will be deleted, forever. And the thing that they believe they keep the justice here in this world won’t be there for long. The piercing will consume them.”

 

I suddenly imagine what she said, a world where monsters reign and the tables completely turned around with them on the top. Darkness and greed everywhere. Tame overpowering innocence and purity. BigBang changing to vicious predators. GD eating flesh…

 

“I’m in.” I quickly blurted, looking at her in the eyes. “I’m in, definitely in.”