Chapter 28: Jiyong

The Haunted House

I wake up with cold sweat. I had a nightmare—about Dara dying and never going to be in my arms again. However it’s impossible, since she’s just sleeping at the ward downstairs. It has been three days since the war, and now we’re back to the headquarters. YG moved Dara to the ward in YGE, and her family occasionally visits her during blood trans day. It’s a thing happening to make everyone a Pax—but only people who want to be are catered. It’s not forced. Though there are a lot who wants to be a Pax, with a reason that they also want to contribute to a more equal world.

I’ve talked with Tablo about everything—including Kim Soohyun and Lee Donghae— and I’ve come into terms what I’m feeling. Of course it’s given that I’m scared and confused, who wouldn’t. I’m continuously riding the guilt ride up until now. But after talking to Tablo, what matters now is for the future, and I know my future—it is written with Dara. I have occasionally trips to him for consultations, and even though the psychologist is jealous, I find Tablo more comforting than a professional.

And of course, I have to come into terms with her damned suitors too. If there’s something Dara has to change, it is her sense of heroism. Does she have to save every guy in her way? Does she even know how beautiful and charming she is to know that they are—at least in my opinion as a guy—having these weird feelings of advances? I had a few fights with Soohyun and Donghae, to keep them in their place, but they’re either too dumb, too in love or too blind. Either way, I feel them mostly because I fell in love with Dara the same way they fell in love with her, but I don’t give up that easily with fights.

And by the way, even though she felt guilt about not telling me she’s a Pax and she never told me to take off my Esurient, I have (if not completely) forgiven her.

I could’ve overdosed myself with the medicine to stabilize my anxiety. But I know I’m talking sense. They’re not just arranged properly.

It’s seven in the evening but everyone’s already sleeping. I climbed out of my bed and exit the room, amidst Seungri and Daesung’s snores. Top is not in his bed. Taeyang’s probably in Gym.

The hallway is even worse. It’s cold and empty. The rooms have no sign of someone awake, but there’s a continuous humming sound that I can guess is coming from the upstairs control room. I’m wearing a thicker jacket, but I can still feel the coldness seeping through the walls. YG should buy a heater—the ones mundane use to keep themselves warm. Dara told me about it.

I go downstairs, where it’s much warmer but there were fewer rooms. There is only the clinic, a small ward, and few rooms for private purposes. The rooms cater badly wounded monsters, while Dara is alone in the ward. CL was with her before, but my sister is too stubborn to even stay there. Dara was the only one who fell into coma after the war. Well, who wouldn’t after fighting with an ancient president?

I open the door to the ward, and notice that the doctor had left a note on the curtain near Dara’s bed. Walking closer, I notice it wasn’t a note but rather a warning. She told me to not do anything beyond sleeping and to never hold the hand with the needles. I took the note, rolling my eyes as I do and after crumpling, placed it in my pocket. Then I slide the curtain.

Dara’s peacefully sleeping on the bed, her hair cascaded smoothly around her face down to her shoulders. It’s a different look after seeing her always having it tied up. But she’s beautiful, so still she looks good even though it’s different.

And I should keep it in. She’s in comatose.

I lie down beside her and put her head on my arm, keeping her peaceful sleeping face near mine. I pull up the blanket until it reaches her chest, and start, “I wake up very early in the morning to help with the campaign. Everyone’s busy building a better type of democracy here in the monster world. Aside from that, the treaty for all the worlds to agree with is in progress. Maybe when you wake up, you’d see that everyone is already united. The world where we can be lovers is already here.”

“And then, you see, I got into a fight with your suitors Soohyun and Donghae. It took a deep part of me not to kill them. We’re arguing who loves you more. Of course, I won. I know you’d want me to” I pause, laughing. Oddly, tears start to troll down my eyes. “I miss you, Dara. Please wake up.”

Instead of her voice, I get the machine’s beeping response. “Come on.” I say, my voice almost muffled by my cry. “That was your cue to wake up.”

There was still no response.

I look up at the ceiling, which I have stuck on a portrait of me so when she wakes up and I am not there, I’d be the first one she sees.

“I love you.” I whisper, before I close my eyes. The machine’s beeping in the background, continuous and monotonous. I take that as her answer.


Five months later

JYP won the presidency in the monster world, winning with a difference of 17 votes against Lee Soo Man. The mayor in Dara’s town still won, but Dara’s father, after the citizens of the mundane world found out was a descendant of the first mundane world president, became the president. So technically, the Mayor, even against his wishes, directly reports to Dara’s father. Kim Soohyun became the president of the vampires. Donghae continued to lead his pack. There are no more praestabilis and vitiosus rift, nor trainings. The haunted houses became vacation houses whenever monsters decided to visit the mundane world. We became pretty normal: no more piercings, heavy makeup and unruly hair. CL told me I’m considered handsome in the mundane world, and I guess Dara is right. I’m more handsome without them. But monsters perceive ugliness as beauty. Our powers retained, though it’d probably be nonexistent in the coming years as we reproduce. The magical world, on the other hand, is still peaceful and still lived in confidentiality. Although Esmeralda visits Dara from time to time to see if she’s okay.

And Dara, well, she’s still asleep.

Esmeralda visits her to know the root of her undergoing comatose. But even the greatest magic wielder won’t know the real cause. The doctor is still trying her best to make Dara wake up.

Today is both of my parents’ anniversary. After knowing the truth, I’ve come to accept my mother as my mother. It was hard—especially that I loathed her all of my life—but then, she had to do what she had to or else, I’d be not existing in this world.

As I take a sip from the can of soda, Seungri, Daesung, Top and Taeyang sits around me, inside the cafeteria in YGE—at least formerly known as YGE, now it’s called HGHGRND. Tablo’s now running the place for two months after YG decided that being around monsters will not do any good to him being single. Now, he’s on a date—at least we assume he is. We hope he is.

Seungri gives me a slice of pizza. “Ahjumma made pepperoni pizza today. Taeyang Hyung got the last slice of kimchi pizza.”

“I don’t even like kimchi pizza.” I say, chuckling, and grab the slice of pepperoni Seungri handed on a plate. Top shakes his head and starts to smoke, a habit he had after being dumped thrice by Dara’s friend he’d been eyeing for a while.

She kept on telling him her duty for now is to help with the community, especially that Dara’s town is busy treating to would-be Paxes. He’s her duty after a year of volunteering.

But Top, well, he’s naturally impatient as a monster. It’s inborn.

Taeyang grunts. “I’ll remind you five minutes before the daily checkup of your girlfriend.”

“Thank you.” I sweetly smile, and take a bite on the pizza.

Top exhales smoke and says, “It’s been five months since the war. My wounds had healed but the memories…” He pauses, shaking his head. “What am I even saying? Something nostalgic ?”

“Well, it’s not that bad. Even though I’m unconscious for six chapters.” Taeyang laughs, finishing his pizza. Daesung agrees, “Me too.”

“So many things happened.” I say, smiling. “But we’re still here. Sitting together in the cafeteria. Eating pizza, and possible some Korean food later.”

“7:50.” Taeyang replies.

Seungri’s face suddenly looks crestfallen. “I hope Dara Noona would wake up now.”

Suddenly, I feel nervous, as if her name brings taboo before my visits. I gave Seungri my slice and quickly stand up. “Well, it’d never do well just discussing it here. I’ll go there before her family.”

“Good luck.” Top says, also standing up. “I’ll go visit her friend now.”

“Don’t bug her too much, Hyung.” Daesung says, sparing a look at Top. “Or she’d dump you for the fourth time.”

Top throws at him his empty plate (which is fortunately made out of paper) and then walks out, still smoking, one hand inside his pocket. I shake my head and say my goodbyes again, walking to the opposite side, towards the ward.

Dara’s not alone in the ward. About a month ago, an old man was admitted to the ward after a heart complication. He told me he’s keeping her company whenever I’m out, and we always talk whenever I sleep beside Dara. He’s a former seer, an outcast of the magical world, and since then has been blind because he’s cursed due to his crimes. The old man always told me of his plans to do good to repay for his crimes, but never had the chance to.

I reached the ward and was surprised as soon as I open the door. The doctor and Dara’s family are crowding her bed. As I walk near, I catch sight of the old man, who looks like he’s grieving.

“What’s happening? Mother?”

Dara’s mother is already reaching her late sixties—even a shaman can’t defy aging. She looks up to me and quickly hugs me. “GD dear.” She says, and her next words were muffled. Dara’s brother, Sanghyun, went up to me and placed his arm around my shoulders. Dara’s father clapped my back. Durami only stared at her sister.

I look at the doctor, who’s by far, the only one not driven by emotions. “Did she wake up?” I ask, expectantly.

“GD.” She starts and then heaves a sigh. “Dara’s family already decided to take her life support out.”

“WHAT?” I exclaim and suddenly, all their grasps on me came off. I sharply look at Dara’s mother, whose tears still fall down heavily, and she only shakes her head. “Let Dara rest now, GD.”

“We don’t need her to rest!” I reason out, shouting. “We need her to wake up!”

“Mr. Kwon.” The doctor steps in and we look at each other. “She’s already a worst case. Her life is only dependent of the machines. Although she breathes, her brain doesn’t respond.”

“What are we to decide over her life?” I walk closer to Dara and hold her hand. “WHAT? What are to decide that she needs to die? Are we gods? Do we hold her life?”

“The funeral is tomorrow morning.” The doctor replies, ultimately and starts to calm Dara’s family, leading them to the exit.

“Do you want to keep on insisting that ing idea?” I shout as they walk out, but I’m only responded by the closing of the door. My knees become weak, and I collapse on Dara’s bed. I cover my face with my hands—with her hand—and try to convince myself she’s not going to die.

And I cry.

But as time passes, maybe seconds, I’m being convinced that she’d be. But I don’t want her to leave me. Not this time. I’ve had enough of too many heartaches. Why does it have to be us?

“Lad.”

I open my tear-stricken eyes, and see the old man smiling down at me. He nods and says, “Let me.”

My eyes suddenly widen. “But you—“

He nods as if it’s fine. “Come on, lad. I’m old. She’s young. I’d be more comfortable to die knowing I did something to make someone alive that spend most of my life lying on the bed.”

I watch him as he walks toward the bed and places his old, trembling hand on Dara’s forehead. He closes his eyes and his next words were incomprehensible. “Ancient words muttered before death. Blood is the answer for a cursed sleep. The answer you seek now beyond death. But the answer didn’t cross, still preserved through ink.

The old man opens his eyes and turns to me. “I’m sorry, Lad. I’m a seer. Prophecies answers questions, but not directly.”

“So there is an answer?” My tears had stopped, and my heart is filled with new hope. The old man nodded. “According to the prophecy, yes.”

I kiss Dara’s hand and keep it close to me as I pray. “Thank you. Thank you.”

“It’s 8:20 now, Lad.” The old man starts to speak again. “You have a family dinner at 9:00. Go and visit your family. I’ll keep her safe.”

I open my eyes again and stare at Dara. “I’ll find the answer before tomorrow morning. Wait for me.”

Although she didn’t nod, I know Dara did. “I love you.” I whisper.