Helpless Kitten

Stubborn Hearts

 

“What?” I burst out angrily.
 
“You’re on a diet, right? So, it’s not really a big deal to you,” he shrugged.
 
“But. . . but. . .” I protested.
 
“Sorry,” he said in his most pitiful voice and patted my head. He turned around and took one basket and started walking towards the trees.
 
Fine! Like they would let me starve. Huh! I know people like them. They’re too kind for their own good. Hahaha! I looked around for a shaded area. As I found one, I quickly went for the place and took a seat, leaning my back against a tree.
 
I closed my eyes and yawned out loud when I suddenly felt something hard hit my arm. “What the heck?” I blurted out and opened my eyes. I saw the old woman standing in front of me.
 
“And what are doing under a tree?”
 
“Sleeping,” I defiantly said.
 
“Oh, sleeping, huh?” she chortled. “Since you looked pretty comfortable here, then you might as well spend the night her outside.”
 
“Yeah, right. Like you would really do that,” I said.
 
“Oh, you’ll see.”
 
I just snorted in response. I stayed in my spot for the whole day. By the time afternoon arrived, I started feeling hungry. I stood up and went towards the house. The door was locked. I knocked and called for someone from the inside. “I’m sorry, Miss. I’ve been forbidden to let you in.”
 
“What?!?” I burst out.
 
No answer.
 
“Ya!”
 
No answer.
 
Grr. That old woman! No wonder the pest is like that. Ugh! I turned around and faced the farm. I saw the helpers were starting to leave. “Hey, you!” I called. “Ya!”
 
I fumed as they all ignored me. Alright, so I was getting a bit desperate. I think the old woman was pretty serious about keeping me out. So, I started following the helpers. They walked over a dangerous-looking slope. I swallowed hard as they started climbing downwards.
 
Now what? I can’t definitely climb down, can I? But when I saw a few houses a few miles from the slope, I took my chance. I took one step forward. When nothing happened, I smiled. I stepped another one, third, fourth, fifth steps. But by my sixth step, the rock I’m stepping on gave in. I screamed as I started rolling down the slope.
 
I don’t know if I’m just hallucinating, but I heard someone cursed. Then, I felt a force stopping me from continuously rolling. I panted and looked up. I saw the pest’s dark face looming over me, with his arms on my side. Without saying anything, he scooped me up and started climbing up.
 
“I’m gonna tell Dad what his employees are doing to me!” I whined. “And why are you carrying me? You can put me down now.”
 
He didn’t say anything.
 
“Ya! I said put me down!”
 
He stopped and glared at me. “Fine!” he mumbled as he put me down. The moment my feet touched the ground, I felt an intense pain that my knees collapsed. I groaned as I fell to the ground in a sitting position.
 
“Aww!” I moaned. That’s when I saw that I have scratches all over my arms and my legs. And I think I sprained my right foot or something. Okay, I’m not used to feeling this kind of pain so I started feeling the tears welling up at the side of my eyes. But I tried to stop it.
 
“I won’t be surprised if you die due to your stubbornness,” the pest said.
 
“Ya!”
 
He scooped me up again. As much as I don’t want to be carried by the pest, least of all be touched by him, I don’t have a choice. “You’re such a pain in the !” the pest said.
 
“Are you referring to me?!”
 
“Who do you think? I don’t see anyone else here,” he said. “Unless you can see people that no longer exists physically.”
 
I felt goose bumps on my arms. “That’s not a funny joke!” I snapped.
 
After a while, he put me down beside a little manmade pool of water. “Let me see,” he mumbled as he inspected my face, my arms and legs. He nodded after a while. “Nothing serious.”
 
“So what? You’re a doctor now?” I fired. He looked up and glared at me. I stuck my tongue out at him.
 
“Kevin!” he called.
 
Not long after that, the houseboy came bustling forward. “Yes, Mas-“ he coughed. “Yes, Jiyong?”
 
“Get the first aid kit and a clean towel and clothes,” the pest ordered.
 
“Oh, okay. Err, wait. What kind of clothes?”
 
“A shirt and short pants.”
 
“Err, whose-?”
 
“Mine,” the pest said.
 
“Mine would fit her perfect-”
 
“Mine,” the pest gritted.
 
“Okay,” Kevin said and disappeared.
 
I looked at the pest as he continued looking at my scratches. “She’s your grandmother, right? Why can’t you do anything about this?”
 
“Our family pays importance to the elders,” he calmly said.
 
Kevin then came back with all the stuff the pest asked him in his arms. The pest took the towel first and wet it with the water. He then started wiping my face. I whimpered a little as I felt a sting on my right cheek. But it’s not unbearable.
 
“Kevin, you can go back to your chores now.”
 
“Oh yes,” Kevin mumbled and off he went.
 
“He’s kind of cute,” I mumbled.
 
“WHAT?!?” the pest suddenly burst out loudly that I felt my eardrums were damaged by it.
 
“Ya! No need to shout! Jeez!”
 
“Than don’t make far-fetched jokes like that.”
 
“I’m not joking, and if it’s a joke to you, why aren’t you laughing? Ooh, could it be you’re jealous of a houseboy?”
 
“In your dreams, wild cat. You’re not my type.”
 
I pouted. “Well, you’re not my type either. And if ever I dream of you, I would not call it a sweet dream but a NIGHTMARE!”
 
“If you say so,” he shrugged as he was now slowly running the towel down my arm.
 
“I’m telling the truth!” I said.
 
“Whatever you say.”
 
“Ya! Listen to me, you stupid pest! Never, and I mean N-E-V-E-R, there’s no way I’m going to like you! Got that?”
 
My leg suddenly jerked as I felt his hands on them. Aigoo! What’s going on? “Easy,” he said, looking as if he knows what’s going on. Ugh! He’s so arrogant!
 
After tending to my wounds, he gave me the clothes Kevin brought.
 
“What?” he asked later on as I stared at him in horror.
 
“I’m going to change here outside? Are you freaking kidding me?”
 
“No”, he answered.
 
“But-”
 
“No one’s here. And it’s getting dark already. No one will see you. Actually, I bet no one would actually want to look at you since you’re too skinny to be y.”
 
I threw the first aid box to his head. “Ya! How dare you insult me like that?”
 
“I’m not insulting,” he chuckled. “Just go change.”
 
“Was she really serious when she said I’ll be sleeping here outside?”
 
He looked at me for a moment. “Yes, she was.”
 
“Well, can’t you do anything about it?”
 
“I’m afraid no.”
 
Oh, ghad! It’ll be dark soon. What should I do?