When It Rains, It Pours

Stubborn Hearts

 

From being the most-admired to being a total reject. Yeah, so much for keeping up to a popular image. Ending my friendship with the girls made me realize that I don't really have that much friends. I don't even know the names of some of my classmates. I guess I just kept to myself too much.
 
“Hello,” a nervous voice greeted. I looked up and saw Heechul. “I'm just wondering if you don't have any plans for lunch. It's just that me and my friends noticed you've been alone these past days. I kind of thought that maybe you want to join our table?”
 
“You and your friends?” I asked.
 
“N-neh,” he stammered.
 
“I'm sorry, but I already made plans,” I lied.
 
“Oh,” he mumbled and bowed to me before walking away.
 
This is what I hate about the situation. The cool kids laugh at me then the nerd ones think I'm on the same level with them. Jeez. But then, I don't really have any company right now. I hate being alone, though I must say I'm always alone. But I’m totally not going to surrender to the girls and I'm still not talking to Woo oppa.
 
 
Later. . .
 
I was surprised to see Woo oppa waiting for me in the living room. “Hi,” he smiled.
 
I just nodded in return. I don't really take rejection that easily, you know. “What up?” I asked.
 
“I heard you and the girls have a little problem?”
 
I snorted. “I can't really call our problem little.”
 
“Want to talk about it?” he asked. I didn't answer at once and just looked at him. After a while, I sighed and went to sit in the sofa. Oppa followed and did the same.
 
I sighed again and started telling him what happen in the club, about Jessica, about everything except for the part where Hyuna mentioned him.
 
“They did that?” he asked. I just shrugged. “I'm sorry for what happened. But if you like, we can sue them.”
 
“No. We don't have enough evidence anyways. They can always deny they're the ones who put it,” I said. Wow, I feel so intelligent! Haha!
 
“I'm sorry,” he apologized again.
 
“What are you apologizing for? You didn't do anything in the first place.”
 
“I feel responsible for Jessica, though,” he said. “Dad insisted that I bring her along to the party. If I knew it would end like this. . .”
 
“Oh, don't be sorry. I guess it's for the better. At least I now know that they aren't really my friends,” I said, acting careless.
 
I felt his hand on top of mine. “I'm still here,” he said.
 
I smiled. “Thanks. For always looking out for me.”
 
“Dara,” he slowly said. I looked at him. There was a look of hesitation in his face. I find this really weird.
 
“What?” I asked.
 
“There's something I want to tell you,” he said.
 
“What is it?”
 
Oppa's really acting weird. What's happening to him? He looked pale and hesitant. “I. . . I really don't know how to say this or if I should,” he started. Okay, he's really making me nervous right now.
 
“You can tell me anything,” I encouraged. “Rememeber? I'm like your little sister,” I added, feeling a bile rise up to my throat.
 
“That's exactly what I want to talk about,” he said. “I. . . you see, I tried to deny it but I don't think I can no longer hide it.”
 
Oh God! There goes my heart, beating wildly against my chest.
 
“Dara, I. . . I don't see you as a sister. I think I'm falling for you.”
 
OMONA!
 
AIGOO!
 
I'm not dreaming, am I? Gah! I should be jumping in happiness right now but I didn't. I just stared at him blankly. He cleared his throat as he started gaining color. “Well, I understand if you don't feel the same way to me but-”
 
“WAAH!” I screamed then hugged him so tight. He fell on his back down on the sofa but I didn't let him go. I've waited for this. I've wanted this to happen. I smiled but it eventually turned into laughter. What Dara wants, Dara gets. Ha! Really when it rains, it pours. The pest is gone, I got rid of my “supposed” friends and I just got myself a boyfriend!
 
This is what I call life.
 
“I can't breathe!” he gasped.
 
“Oh, sorry,” I said then pulled away from him.
 
“So, are we-?”
 
“Dara?”
 
I looked up and saw Dad. I smiled and stood up. I went to hug him. “You're early,” I said, grinning widely.
 
“Yeah, and you are, too,” he said. “Oh, and Wooyoung's here. How are you?”
 
“I'm doing well,” oppa answered.
 
“Ahm, Dad? Is it okay if oppa will join us for dinner later?”
 
“Of course. He's always welcome here,” Dad smiled, and then looked at Woo oppa again. “You're like a family to us already.”
 
“Ahm, Dad?”
 
“Yes?”
 
I bit my lower lip then went back to oppa. I took hold of his hand. “We're already together.”
 
I saw oppa looked at me in surprise. I just smiled at him and looked at Dad. My smile faded as I saw Dad's blank look. He started walking towards our direction. Uh-oh. Dad stopped in front of oppa and gripped his shoulder. I saw oppa winced a little. “Take good care of my daughter.”
 
I sighed in relief.
 
“You can count on me,” oppa answered.
 
 
After six months. . .
 
With oppa's help, I was able to survive school even without having friends. Basically, my world revolved around him with school, home, shopping and ice cream. But I'm actually trying to control myself from eating ice cream often. I mean, I don't really want to get fat again and get laughed at by that stupid pest.
 
I pushed Wooyoung oppa away as we were currently in his car. I chuckled a little. Lately, he's been becoming aggressive, not that I'm complaining.
 
“Sorry. I lost control again,” I heard him say.
 
“It's okay,” I answered and gave him a brief kiss in the lips. I sighed. I can't understand myself. Before, I used to think that I want oppa to be my first that's why I can't go all the way with all the flings I had before. But when me and oppa starts getting all intimate, I always pull back.
 
I know he's getting frustrated already. We've been together for six moths but all we did was make-out. I don't know why but that's the furthest I can go. Ugh! I think I'll die a .
 
“I got something for you,” he said. He turned to reach for his bag from the backseat. He opened it and took out a black, rectangle box. He smiled at me first before opening it.
 
My eyes widen as a sharp gasp came out from my throat. A necklace with a diamond heart-shaped pendant greeted me. I looked back at oppa, surprised. “Happy sixth months,” he said. I chuckled then hugged him.
 
“You're spoiling me too much!” I said.
 
“This is nothing compared to the happiness of being your boyfriend.”
 
Aww. He is such a sweetheart. Yes, six months of pure happiness. I could definitely call ourselves a perfect couple. Ever since we had our relationship, we never EVEN ONCE had an argument. “I'm lucky to have you, too,” I whispered then pulled back.
 
“Let me put this on you,” he said. I nodded in agreement and gathered my hair on one side. I let oppa put the necklace on me. He planted a soft kiss on my forehead afterwards. “It looks perfect on you,” he said. I smiled at him in response. Then, I noticed a change in his eyes. I knew that look so I wasn't really surprised when his face started getting near. But then, the sound of a phone ringing distracted us. He smiled apologetically at me. “Hello?” he answered. “Yes Dad. I'm with Dara right now. What? Okay, I'll be there.”
 
“What's wrong?” I asked.
 
“Mister Shim got into a car accident.”
 
“Mister Shim?” I asked blankly. “Isn't he a friend of your Dad?”
 
“Yes, he is,” oppa answered. “He's close to your father, too.”
 
“Oh, God. I should tell Dad,” I said.
 
“Yes, you should. I'll call you later,” he said and kissed me again.
 
I stepped out of the car later and quickly looked for Dad. “Where's Dad?” I asked a maid.
 
“In the living room, Miss.”
 
I went to the living room and saw Dad and Mister Kwon watching the news.
 
“. . . . the business tycoon didn't survive.”
 
“Jiyong was right,” Mr. Kwon said
 
Dad stood up and quickly turned to Mr. Kwon. “This isn't an accide-” he stopped when he saw me. “Dara!”
 
“Dad, I heard about what happened to Mr. Shim. I'm sorry for what happened.”
 
“Yes, dear, it is tragic,” he answered and patted my head. “If you'll excuse me, I have to make a few calls,” he added then nodded to Mr. Kwon. The latter bowed to me first before following Dad.