Bonus Chapter - Nine

Behind the Mirror

When Jongin let go of him, he eyed him with furrowed eyebrows.

“What’s wrong?”, Kyungsoo asked. Jongin reached out his right hand.

“What is this?”, he asked. Kyungsoo looked down.

There was a silver necklace around his neck, but he had no idea how it had gotten there. It looked familiar.

When Jongin turned the golden pendant between his fingers, Kyungsoo recognized the pendant. The golden key.

His aunt had been wearing it the whole time, so the necklace must be hers.

“It’s my aunt’s”, Kyungsoo said. “She knows you by the way”.

Jongin looked up. “Really?”, he asked. He sounded a bit worried.

“Thanks to the rumors and legends and everything, I guess everyone still knows you”, Kyungsoo said and bit his lip.

Jongin looked at him, but Kyungsoo took a deep breath and flung his closet’s door open and threw his clothes onto the bed.

“We’re going away, somewhere far away, where they don’t know us”, Kyungsoo said.

“What? No, stop, stop”, Jongin said shocked and tried to stop Kyungsoo from stuffing his clothes into a big bag. Kyungsoo looked up.

“You can’t just leave everything behind, because of me”, Jongin said. Kyungsoo sighed and continued to collect his most important things.

“Of course I can”, Kyungsoo said. “Why?”, Jongin asked confused. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and dragged him outside his room.

“Because I love you”, Kyungsoo said.

Jongin followed him downstairs, they stopped when they saw Kyungsoo’s aunt sitting on the sofa in the living room. Besides her no one else was around, it was completely silent in the house.

The old woman turned her head.

“Ah, Jongin, nice to see you coming downstairs again. Your mother will be happy”, she said and smiled.

“My… mother?”, Jongin asked confused. “She is demented, she can’t distinguish between present and past”, Kyungsoo whispered.

“Oh”, Jongin murmured.

“Kyungsoo”, she suddenly said. Then she shook her head and laughed weakly.

“I knew you would manage it, well done. Well done”, she murmured and put down the book she had been holding.

“I think… it’s time for me. Now that everything is done, I can go”, she said and sounded tired.

“What?”, Kyungsoo asked shocked and quickly stepped into the living room. He crouched down next to the sofa.

“Auntie?”, he asked. But the old woman smiled and leaned back with a sigh. She patted his hand and then she breathed out.

Her eyes closed and then she didn’t move anymore. Kyungsoo probably just didn’t freak out because she looked so peaceful in death.

But maybe because Jongin picked up the book and said: “Look, it’s about the necklace!” Kyungsoo turned around and let go of his dead aunt.

Kyungsoo stepped closer to Jongin, the book he was holding was a diary. Obviously it had belonged to his aunt.

 

October 1970, Paris


Paris is a wonderful place, I’ve always wanted to come here one day.
Now, finally I am here.
I took a long walk alongside the Seine and got lost in my daydreams,
so I had no idea where I was and then it started raining.
I sought shelter at this antique shop. Oh my! They had beautiful things there!
But one thing stood out, I almost feared they would not sell it, but
fortunately it was for sale. It was a golden mirror. The shop owner gave me a silver necklace
with a golden key as a pendant along with the mirror. He said the key will protect me.
I have no idea what he meant, I asked him what he was talking about,
but he just tried to get rid of me and didn’t answer.

 

Kyungsoo and Jongin exchanged short gazes.

“The key will protect you. Does that mean that I survived because of the key?”, Kyungsoo asked quietly. Jongin skimmed through the diary and stopped at the last entry, the date showed them that she had written it yesterday.

 

I have thought about it for a long time, now I finally remember the key and its meaning.
Kyungsoo had talked about rescuing Jongin.
I have to write down that I need to give the key to
Kyungsoo before I will forget it. Kyungsoo needs the key!
It will protect him, when he wants to free Jongin.

 

“It’s true”, Jongin murmured.

“I can’t remember when she had given it to me, maybe in the end she just used her dementia as a tool to confuse me”, Kyungsoo said and looked at the old woman. Jongin intertwined their fingers.

“She was Sehun’s godmother and our neighbor. I was often at her place to play with Sehun”, Jongin answered Kyungsoo’s still unanswered question. Kyungsoo nodded. “I see…”, he murmured.

“Let’s go”, Jongin whispered. He picked up Kyungsoo’s big bag and shouldered it, then he dragged him outside the living room, out of the house.

They sped up their pace until they were running. On their way they discussed what to do next, Kyungsoo suggested leaving the country when he remembered that Jongin probably didn’t have a passport.

But Jongin said he knew someone who could make him a new one.

“I need a different name anyway, I should be 49 by now and I don’t look like that, thank god!”, Jongin said and shook his head.

Kyungsoo giggled. “You’re really an old man”, he teased.

Jongin glared at him, but Kyungsoo pulled him closer and pressed a tender kiss onto his lips.

“Let’s go to your friend and get you a passport”, Kyungsoo said.

“And where do you plan to go to?”, Jongin asked as they got onto a bus. Kyungsoo shoved a cap into Jongin’s arms.

“Wear that to hide your face”, Kyungsoo murmured and Jongin obeyed.

“So?”, Jongin murmured. Kyungsoo watched the cars passing by the bus and looked up into the blue sky.

He had thought about it since he had read his aunt’s diary. He turned around and looked at Jongin, then he smiled.

“Paris is a good place to start a new career as dancer”, he whispered.

 


Here~ as promised the bonus ending chapter (^__^)

Michiru097 actually it was you who made me think of a bonus chapter,

I'm really really grateful for your constant lovely comments!! thank you so much <3

 

and of course Candy, my wonderful best friend!! Without you this story would not exist, you are my inspiration (*__*)

thank you for beta-reading and everything! I love you

 

I hope you guys enjoyed the whole story and I answered the left questions...

Thanks so much for reading and commenting!! <3

Kaisoo in the city of Love *keke*

 

❤ IchigoKeks