Two

Behind the Mirror

Kyungsoo felt weird on his first day at the new school.

He was eyed from all sides and people whispered behind his back. But he was kind of used to it already, so he just tried his best to ignore everyone. During the break he left the cafeteria and decided to eat outside in the meadow in front of the school.

But since it was nice weather he wasn’t the only one there, he tried to find an unoccupied spot and sighed relieved as he finally sat down under a large tree. He just started stuffing the food into his mouth as a pair of small feet stopped in front of him.

A girl was standing there, her brown hair was pinned up to two braids. Blue ribbons were pinned at the end of her hair. She was frowning and since she didn’t say something, Kyungsoo gulped down the big amount of food in his mouth.

“Hello?”, he said.

“You moved into that house”, she said right away. Kyungsoo blinked.

Obviously she was one of those who believed in the legends and rumors, though he still had no clue what exactly the rumors were all about.

“Uhm yeah. Why?”, he said. Her eyes widened.

“Why? You don’t know about the stories, huh?”, she asked. He hesitated but shook his head.

She sighed and leaned down to him.

“Some psychos lived there”, she whispered. “Especially the boy, who lived there. He was completely insane”.

Kyungsoo didn’t know why, but he suddenly felt like he had to protect the boy. “No, he wasn’t!”, he said sharply.

“I’ve heard about him, but he’s not a psycho”, he added and suddenly his heart beat increased. The girl raised one eyebrow.

“Ah, is that so?”, she asked. “So you think you can withstand the curse of this house?”, she asked and lowered her voice dramatically.

Kyungsoo frowned. “Curse?”

The girl rolled her eyes. “I will tell you the story”, she said and waved with her hand. Kyungsoo slid a little to the side so she could sit next to him.

“The boy who lived there was a great dancer, he was well known and popular amongst girls… and boys. He was indeed good looking”, she grinned and opened her bag. She pulled out a notebook, she skipped through a few pages and then pulled out an old photograph.

She handed it towards him and Kyungsoo stared at the picture. His heart skipped a beat as he saw the boy on the photography. No wonder everyone had been after him, in his whole life he had never seen someone so utterly beautiful and perfect. He looked like an angel or even more like a god.

The girl giggled. “Now that you have fallen in love with him, I’ll tell you the story and let’s see if you still like him that much”, she said. Kyungsoo handed her back the picture with reddened cheeks.

“You can keep it”, she said. Kyungsoo stared at her. “But I don’t-“, he started. She shook her head.

“Keep it”, she repeated. “I’ve got tons of it”, she added. Kyungsoo hesitated but carefully stuffed the picture into his bag.

She crossed her legs and back a strand that was falling into her forehead.

“He was the best dancer of the whole town, the whole nation. Maybe the best dancer of the world, his whole life was about dancing. He didn’t care about something else, he forgot about his friends and wasn’t interested in love, he was one of the most cold-hearted people out there and that drove him insane. When his parents divorced, he suddenly stopped dancing as he couldn’t handle all the pain. He locked himself in his room and talked to himself while standing in front of the mirror he used to dance in front of, he pressed his palms against it every time. He didn’t leave his room anymore, he didn’t eat or drink, he didn’t sleep. And one day, he disappeared, that old caretaker of course said he ran away, but he knows as well as everyone else does that this is a lie. He never left the house”, the girl said.

Kyungsoo frowned and suddenly he sat up straightly. “Wait. Do you mean he’s still there?”, he asked. The girl grinned.

“Oh yes, he is still in his room”, she said. Kyungsoo blinked and felt betrayed, for a moment he had been so excited.

“No, he’s not. I would have seen him, if he was”, he said angrily. He really fell for that stupid story. But the girl laughed and waved with her hands.

“Oh god, of course you didn’t see him. The mirror is still there, right? No one dares to remove it”, she said. Kyungsoo frowned.

“What has that to do with him being still in the room?”, he asked confused. The girl smiled evilly.

“The girl who lived on the other side of the street saw everything. She saw what really happened, she saw how he pressed his hands against the glass until one day he passed it and walked into the mirror and never returned. He’s still there in the mirror and now he’s staring back from the other side. You better put a blanket over it or he will see you and then…”, she interrupted herself.

Kyungsoo’s heart was pounding quickly against his chest. “And then what?”, he asked.

“He will curse you and make you go crazy as well”, she said with a smile.

 

***

Kyungsoo ignored that his aunt didn’t recognize him as he ran into the house and screamed that she will call the police. He ran straight into his room and locked the door. He pulled out the picture of the dancer, he gently over his face.

Then he stepped in front of the mirror and slowly placed his palms on the same place the boy had placed his. He had been a lot taller than him…

Kyungsoo’s heart rushed against his chest. He wished to see the boy and somehow he was not afraid of him or the curse.

“Hey…”, he started. His breath fogged up the mirror and he bit his lip, his reflection did the same and looked back.

“Are you there?”, he whispered. “I just wanted to tell you… I don’t think you’re a bad person and I don’t think you would curse someone. A-And I don’t think you’re insane and if you were then so am I. I always thought that there is something behind the glass, behind the mirror. You walked through it… is there a better world? Do you feel better now? I really hope so, because your life had been really hard, right? I would say I’m sorry, but I guess you don’t want to hear that”, he whispered. He leaned in closer, the tip of his nose touched the cold glass. “I don’t want to bother you, but I wished I could get to know you”, he murmured and felt how he blushed.

“Is that… stupid? I don’t know…”, he added.

“Kyungsoo? Dinner is ready”, his sister’s voice shouted from downstairs and ripped him out of his talking.

Kyungsoo flinched. He the golden frame. “I will come back later again, if it’s ok for you. Or should I put the blanket over the mirror again?”, he asked.

He sighed. Of course he didn’t receive an answer and only his reflection looked back. So he grabbed the white blanket and threw it over the mirror.

 

***

“Oh, Kyungsoo, don’t phone that long with your friends. I won’t pay for that”, his sister said as Kyungsoo got up after dinner. Kyungsoo froze.

“I d-didn’t phone”, he said hesitatingly. Kyunghwa looked up surprised from the dirty dishes she was washing.

“But I heard you talking”, she said. He felt how the heat crept over his neck up to his cheeks as he felt the eyes of his aunt and the caretaker piercing through him.

“Is he talking to you?”

Kyungsoo flinched as his aunt suddenly spoke up.

“What?”, he asked.

“The boy, is he talking to you?”, she asked. Kyungsoo blinked.

“Excuse me?”, he said and tried to act like he had no clue what she was talking about. Suddenly the old woman shook her head and looked down.

“Poor boy, poor boy. I told you, you should do something about it. It’s not good that he locks himself in his room, he needs friends. He’s talking to himself, maybe that’s better than dancing, but still it’s not good. You know?”, she said.

But no one knew who she was talking too, she picked up a scarf that she was knitting, but it looked messy. She had dropped some of the stitches and obviously she didn’t really know what she was doing with it.

“I’ve told you from the beginning you should put an end to his career. Oh don’t worry, I will take care of the bills”, she suddenly added.

Kyungsoo stared at her.

“Ignore it”, his sister whispered and hushed him out of the room.

“She’s got a bad day, she’s really forgetful today”, she whispered as she shoved Kyungsoo out of the living room.

“But what was she talking about? It sounded as if she was talking to the parents of the boy who used to live here. Did she know them?”, Kyungsoo asked.

“I don’t know”, Kyunghwa said. But Kyungsoo immediately saw that she was lying.

“Kyunghwa, tell me”, he demanded and grabbed her shoulders. She looked away.

“She’s mixing up the time. She doesn’t realize that she is not in the time back 30 years before. I guess she knew them, she bought the house after all”, she said. Kyungsoo shook his head.

“No one wanted the house”, he said. Kyunghwa shortly closed her eyes.

“Kyungsoo, please. Ask someone else, I don’t know either”, she said and closed the door.

Kyungsoo stood in the hall until he remembered the mirror that was waiting for him. He ran upstairs into his room and gasped as the white blanket was lying on the floor.

Who had removed it?

He quickly stepped to the mirror, but there was only his reflection.

“So you don’t like the blanket, huh? I will put it away then”, he said as he touched the glass. He turned around and picked up the white blanket, he neatly folded it and brought it into the laundry room.

When he returned, he locked the door and gently the golden frame.

“I’ve got lots of homework. Let’s talk later, ok?”, he said with a smile. Then he sat down at the desk and focused on his studies. It was late when he was done and closed his books. He stretched and yawned.

“Well, I’m done now”, he said and turned around. He luckily covered his mouth when he screamed and so his scream was not that loud. But loud enough to make his sister run to his room to check on him, she hammered against the locked door until he opened it.

His heart that shortly had stopped beating, was now beating too fast. But he told his sister that he was ok, he just had seen a very fat spider and his sister immediately left the room.

Kyungsoo turned around, but the mirror only showed his reflection. The tall dark haired boy who had stood behind him in the mirror before was gone.

 

***

“Sorry for screaming earlier. You almost gave me a heart attack, you were there so suddenly. I was not prepared. Sorry again. But right now I’d like to see you”, Kyungsoo whispered.

He had gotten up earlier, because he couldn’t sleep anymore. In his dream there was a dark haired boy dancing and suddenly looking him right into the eyes, saying something he couldn’t catch.

“Please? I really want to see you… I’m not scared of you, it really was just because you were there so suddenly”, Kyungsoo said and nodded. Then he leaned in closer, his forehead touched the cool glass.

He closed his eyes and his fingertips curled up against the glass.

“I don’t even know you…”, Kyungsoo whispered. His heartbeat increased and he felt how his cheeks blushed. He opened his eyes and found his reflection looking sadly and disappointed, but no dark haired handsome boy.

“I have to go downstairs now. I have to go to school, but when I’m back, I will come to talk to you again… or are you mad at me? Please don’t be”, Kyungsoo said and looked down.

“I promise I won’t scream a second time. Did I scare you? I didn’t mean to”, Kyungsoo whispered. He the golden frame and left his room.

At school he was alone, but the thought of returning later to the mirror helped him through the day. He didn’t know why, but it was reassuring and calming to talk to the mirror. As if he was a friend…

But the dark haired boy didn’t turn up in the mirror again and Kyungsoo was worried he could have imagined it, but he always told the mirror or rather the boy inside the mirror that he would never doubt him.

“I know that you’re there. I can feel you… oh that sounds weird, doesn’t it?”, Kyungsoo murmured.

Talking to the mirror turned into his daily habit and every free minute he would spend in front of the mirror. Telling the boy who didn’t show himself what has happened that day and how he felt, sometimes he cried silently, because he missed his mother and his father, sometimes he told him funny stories from school or just things that were happening in the world.

His sister and the rest of the people living in the house had noticed his habit, but they didn’t try to stop him. Although Kyungsoo could feel their disapproval of this. He knew that the caretaker was angry because talking to the mirror was a proof, he was believing the legends and “lies”.

His sister just thought he was going crazy and his aunt mistook him even more often for the boy who had lived there before.

 

One day Kyungsoo forgot to lock his room and his sister caught him standing in front of the mirror.

“You’re staring into the mirror again? You’re such a narcissist”, his sister said and rolled her eyes.

”I’m not”, Kyungsoo defended himself.

“Ah sure. And why are you staring at it then?”, his sister asked and turned her back to him, not even waiting for an answer.

“Just because I think it’s fascinating that everyday people look at their reflection, apply make-up, dress, take pictures in front of it, because they think they look like their reflection. But they don’t. Isn’t it weird that you look at your reflection, someone who is supposed to be you, but the mirror doesn’t show reality, it’s just a replica, a fake of the real world”, Kyungsoo said. His sister turned around and stared at him.

“You’re crazy”, she murmured and shook her head.

 


Sorry that it took me a while to update, but here's chapter 2.

I hope you enjoy it ^_^

wow already 11 subscribers!!

thanks so much for reading <3