Three

Behind the Mirror

It was a Saturday when everything happened. Everything.

Kyungsoo woke up as he heard screams and cries, he recognized his sister’s voice and rubbed his eyes.

Then he quickly pushed away the covers and stormed out of his room. He saw how she struggled against her boyfriend, he was pressing her harshly against the wall, his firm grip on her shoulders didn’t let go.

“Did you not understand what I said?”, he hissed. Tears were running down her face.

“I did, I did. Let go, please. You’re hurting me. Please let go”, she whimpered. But he didn’t, his grip got firmer.

“No, don’t try to use that on me. You’re lying. You’re just saying those things to pleasure me, but you don’t mean them sincerely”, he said sharply. Then he pulled her back from the wall a little but only to crush her harder against the wall.

“Yah!”, Kyungsoo shouted. Anger overwhelmed him as he ran through the hallway and grabbed the taller boy and pushed him away. He grabbed his sister and puller her into a hug.

“Don’t you dare to treat my sister like this!”, he shouted.

“What?”, the taller one growled. He grabbed Kyungsoo as if he was light as a feather and kicked into his stomach.

“You little brat, don’t interfere with things that are not your business”, he shouted.

 

The next thing Kyungsoo remembered was that he woke up in a white room. The hospital. His sister was sitting next to his bed, crying.

“Kyungsoo, oh god. Mum…”, she sobbed and buried her face into Kyungsoo’s chest.

“You’re heavy”, Kyungsoo breathed out and tried to shift, but his whole body ached.

“What happened to mum?”, he asked. Kyunghwa look up and cried more.

“Mum is dead”, she whispered.

 

Kyungsoo learnt later that she took too many sleep pills on purpose, but at that time he didn’t want to know. His whole world was breaking down on one day.

Kyungsoo curled himself up underneath the covers, he felt so empty. He couldn’t say a word, he couldn’t hug his sister, he couldn’t comfort her. So both just said nothing and cried.

He wasn’t injured badly though, he had only been kept at the hospital so the doctors could have an eye on him. But he was dismissed the next day and when he went home, he luckily saw that his sister was alone in the living room. Meaning her boyfriend was gone. So he quickly made his way into his room, to the mirror he hadn’t seen for two days.

He locked the door and ran towards the mirror. His fingers painfully scratched over the glass as he leaned against it and let it out. He must have stood there for hours and cried until he managed to tell the golden mirror what had happened.

He wiped away his tears and placed his palms back onto the glass, but he had nothing to say anymore. So after a while he pulled back and turned around. He crawled onto his bed and wrapped his arms around his shoulders as he curled up.

He felt so alone, not even the mirror could comfort him anymore.

“Mum, I miss you so much”, Kyungsoo whimpered and his tears dropped into his pillow.

“Sorry”.

Kyungsoo blinked, a few tears fell from his chin as he sat up. The crystal clear, soft and slightly echoing voice had come from… the mirror.

Kyungsoo wiped away his tears and stared into the mirror and saw his room, his reflection and then right in the front a dark haired boy.

Kyungsoo stared at him for a long time, then he jumped of his bed and ran towards the mirror.

“You’re there”, he whispered. The boy nodded and looked surprised.

“You really wanted to see me that badly”, he said. His voice sent shivers down Kyungsoo’s spine, but he loved his voice. Kyungsoo stepped closer to the mirror to eye the boy in detail, the closer he got, the more his own reflection faded away.

The dancer looked almost exactly like on the picture he had of him. He hadn’t got older. The slight difference was that he was even more beautiful.

The dark hair fell into his forehead and covered it almost completely, it was a little messy, but it looked as if it had been styled like that on purpose. His features were so soft that Kyungsoo couldn’t resist touching them, but instead feeling the boy’s face, there was only the cool glass.

The boy blinked. “Why… why can’t I feel you?”, Kyungsoo whispered desperately and pressed his fingertips harder against the glass that separated them.

The boy looked down. “You can’t. I’m here and you’re there that’s why”, he said. Kyungsoo’s lip quivered again.

Now that he was finally seeing the boy he had spend most of his time with, he had told everything about him, he couldn’t even feel him properly.

“I could feel you more when you weren’t there”, Kyungsoo said and felt another tear rolling down his cheek.

“That’s why I never appeared while you were talking to me. I can go now…”, the boy said.

“No!”, Kyungsoo called and his fingers grabbed the golden frame.

The boy smiled a little. “Don’t cry”, he said then.

“B-But… I can’t help it”, Kyungsoo cried.

“Come closer”, the boy demanded. Kyungsoo stepped closer, his feet were touching the golden frame on the bottom and his nose was only inches away from the mirror, he had to look up, because the boy was a lot taller than him.

“You’ve told me everything about you, will you now tell me your name?”, he asked. Kyungsoo blushed.

“Kyungsoo”, he whispered.

The boy raised his hand and placed his palm against the glass, from the other side. Kyungsoo placed his hand at the same spot and his heartbeat increased as he could almost feel him, almost.

“I’m Jongin”, the boy whispered. “Jongin”, Kyungsoo repeated. Jongin nodded.

“Now, will you tell me why I should curse you?”, Jongin asked with a slight smirk on his full lips. Kyungsoo blushed.

“I- that’s what…”, he stuttered. “W-Well, you see, there are a lot of rumors about you and this house in general. They said that if I removed the blanket you will appear and curse me”, Kyungsoo said and felt how his cheeks reddened even more.

“And you still removed the blanket”, Jongin murmured. Kyungsoo nodded.

“Why?”, Jongin asked and frowned.

Kyungsoo blinked. “I knew that you were there, but I was always sure that you’re not a bad person”, he said. Jongin raised one eyebrow.

“Ah, really?”, he asked. Kyungsoo looked away in embarrassment. “I just…”, he murmured.

“…feel it”, he ended.

“What do you feel? The coldness of this glass, that weird feeling I gave you to scare you away from the mirror, because I thought you were one of those guys who only came to check if I was really there?”, Jongin said. His voice got sharper, it sounded as if someone had cut through the air.

“You… t-tried to scare me away? Why didn’t you tell me to go away, I bothered you all the time with my silly life and you just”, Kyungsoo started but his voice cracked as he started crying.

Jongin’s tensed face changed and he looked sorry.

“Kyungsoo, no. I realized that you didn’t come because of the stories, you didn’t come to try to destroy me a second time”, Jongin said. Kyungsoo wiped away his tears and tried to calm his breath.

“Destroy you for a second time?”, he asked.

“I thought the caretaker told you about me…”, Jongin said quietly.

“Look me in the eyes, can you see what everyone else sees?”, he whispered. Kyungsoo stood on his tiptoes as he leaned closer to the mirror to lose himself in the deep brown eyes.

“Gentle”, Kyungsoo whispered as he raised his hand to place it on Jongin’s confused face.

“Gentle?”, he asked. Kyungsoo immediately stepped back and looked away. “Y-Your eyes are gentle”, he confessed blushing.

“You’re the first one to say that”, Jongin said. Kyungsoo lifted his head and looked at Jongin and knew what he was talking about.

A slight glimpse of his old grief and desperateness that drove him insane was left.

“Jongin, you’re not crazy. Look at me, who believed the stories and started talking in front of a mirror because I hoped the boy inside, would show up one day. My life breaks apart and I just want to leave this world – maybe not as badly as you did – but still enough to wish I could fall through this mirror too”, Kyungsoo said.

Jongin raised his hand and placed his palm against the glass.

“I asked your reflection to step aside so we can see each other better”, Jongin said slowly. Kyungsoo nodded. “I’ve noticed that… wait, step aside. Do you mean that behind the glass is more than this room?”, Kyungsoo asked excited.

Jongin hesitated. “It’s just a room, but it is definitely larger than yours, but if you think about it that way the world you live in, is also just a room. A very large one and so is the world I live in”, Jongin said.

“Kyungsoo, turn around the mirror and look at its back”, he demanded then. Kyungsoo blinked confused. Was there some kind of entry to his world?

But he grabbed the golden frame carefully and lifted the heavy mirror and slowly turned it around.

At the back there was just a dark golden plate, made of the same material like the frame. He reached out his hand and over the plate.

“Jongin, what is here? I can’t see anything”, Kyungsoo said. But he received no answer, when he walked around the turned mirror, Jongin was gone.

“Jongin?”, he asked, but there was only his own reflection in the mirror. He placed his palm against the glass, but there was no reaction.

Kyungsoo bit his lip and fully turned the mirror around to its original pose and shoved it back so it was standing close to the wall again.

The mirror only showed himself and the room he was standing inside. What should there be at the back?

Suddenly Kyungsoo had an idea, he left his room and walked into the laundry room. He grabbed several polishes and went back to his room. Then he started cleaning the golden frame and its back, but he left the glass like it was, with Jongin’s handprints covered by his own.

The mirror looked a lot better after he had cleaned it and when he let his hands run over its back he could feel it.

There were scratches on the golden plate, his fingertips followed the scratches until he understood that they built letters. But it took him hours to bring the letters together by only feeling them.

The letters built words and the words told him an own story. The legend of the Mirror World.

 

The reflections let no one pass into the Mirror World.

Those who force their entry will burn in Hell,

Those who deserve entry will live in Heaven,

Those who have to beg, will try in vain.

 

He read out the words and repeated them as often until he knew them by heart.

“Jongin, that means you’re now in a better world. You deserved finally entry, does it mean you’re kind of in heaven?”, he asked happily and turned the mirror around. But the tall dark haired dancer still didn’t show himself.

“Did I do something wrong?”, Kyungsoo asked worried. But as there was still no response he gave up and left his room. On the floor he bumped into his sister. Kyunghwa’s face was covered in tears and her eyes were swollen and red.

“Kyungsoo, dinner is almost ready”, she said and her voice sounded so hoarse that Kyungsoo wondered how she even managed to talk.

“I will help you a little out”, he murmured. His sister nodded and murmured a ‘thanks’ as they walked downstairs. The caretaker was in the garden and their aunt was sitting on the sofa eyeing them as they walked in.

“Oh look there you are, Jongin. Coming out of your room finally”, she said with a smile. Kyungsoo opened his mouth to say that he wasn’t Jongin, but she was already continuing.

“Sehun called again, I think you should call back. Your mother has given up on telling you that, but I won’t. He’s such a nice boy, have you forgotten about your childhood friend? He’s not even mad although you surpassed him at your dancing skills and got famous while he didn’t. Don’t treat him like that”, she babbled.

She picked up the scarf that she was knitting and picked up the needles again. Kyungsoo frowned.

“Treat him like what?”, he asked.

“Oh, I thought you like him so much. Why are you pushing him out of your life? You treat everyone like that. What’s wrong, Jongin?”, she asked. Then she raised her head and blinked.

“Kyungsoo, it’s been such a long time. How are you doing? It’s nice that you come visiting me, you’re just in time for dinner”, she said.

“I’m… fine. Yes, great”, he pressed out. Kyunghwa dragged him into the kitchen.

“Don’t take it serious what she is talking about. Just say ‘yes, yes’ and she’s satisfied”, she murmured. When the pots on the heater started bubbling, Kyunghwa had to react quickly.

“Kyungsoo, please bring me some of the salt”, she said, while taking care of the pots.

In the living room the TV was switched on and again the volume was turned up. Kyungsoo could hear the news clearly as if he was standing in the living rooms.

“…committed suicide. His fans are still in deep shock, thousand have gathered in front of his apartment. They lit candles and left letters and flowers. We feel deepest compassion for the family”, the news anchor said.

Kyungsoo sighed. The news anchor went on talking about the idol who had taken his life, Kyungsoo had heard of his name but he didn’t know exactly who he was. But in the next second the kitchen’s door flung open and the old woman stormed in.

“It was murder! He didn’t jump, I know it. You know that, too, Jongin!”, she shouted. She grabbed Kyungsoo’s shoulders and shook him.

“Auntie, please! Calm down. This is Kyungsoo, he’s not Jongin!”, Kyunghwa called shocked. She tried to pull the old woman away.

But only together with the caretaker who came to help, they managed to pull her away.

“Shhh, it’s ok. It’s ok”, the caretaker whispered and her back. He guided her to her room and switched off the TV in the living room. Before the caretaker closed the door, the old woman turned around and looked at the shocked Kyungsoo who was standing in the living room.

“Why did you push him out that window, Jongin?”, she asked.

 


UGH.... I really hate everything I write right now .____.

*cries forever*

sorry for that crappy T__T

but wow, you guys read that and I'm so grateful for every single subscriber <3

thank you *__*

ahhhh~ please don't kill me because of Sehun >___<