Five

Behind the Mirror

“Jongin, why don’t you want to talk about Sehun?”, Kyungsoo’s aunt said and Kyungsoo choked on the soup he was just eating.

“You always avoid me, why did you not let me into your room? I wanted to give you his letter! But you didn’t let me. Don’t you want to know what’s inside?”, she asked. Kyungsoo got up.

“I want to have the letter”, he said. His aunt looked up from her soup. “What letter?”, she asked curiously.

Kyungsoo sat down and felt his sister’s hand on his arm. “Nothing”, he murmured.

“I told you that she doesn’t know what she’s talking about”, she whispered.

After lunch Kyungsoo tried to ask his aunt again about the letter but she didn’t understand what he was looking for. When he tried to enter her bedroom, he was held back by the caretaker.

“What are you doing there, Kyungsoo?”, he asked sharply as he caught him opening the bedroom door.

“Uhm, I just-“, Kyungsoo stuttered.

“The letter does not exist. What are you trying to do even if it existed? Jongin is not there anymore, nothing matters anymore. Just forget about the old times. It’s not good to fall for the past and lose yourself there. Live your life, Kyungsoo”, he said. Kyungsoo stared at him.

“What are you talking about?”, he asked confused.

“Stay out of it. Forget the mirror, forget Jongin. There’s nothing you can do. Jongin is dead”, the caretaker said sharply. Kyungsoo flinched.

“N-No, he isn’t”, he whispered.

“Ah, you think so? Does he also visit you in your dreams? Does he appear in the mirror in your dreams?”, he asked. Kyungsoo stumbled back.

Dreams? No he hadn’t dreamt about him, everything really had happened.

The caretaker glared at him. “Forget about it, or you will turn insane…”, he whispered. Kyungsoo nodded and walked backwards. Then he stormed up into his room.

But he was definitely awake this time and Jongin was definitely standing there inside the mirror looking at him in confusion.

“What’s wrong?”, he asked. Kyungsoo shook his head.

“Tell me”, Jongin demanded and waved him closer. “The caretaker… talked to me”, Kyungsoo murmured.

Jongin scrunched up his nose. “Seriously, from all the people in the house he is the one who’s the most insane”, Jongin said.

“You know, the house is not cursed, but the people who live inside it”, Jongin said. Kyungsoo stared at him and gulped.

“He said that you visit him in his dreams”, Kyungsoo whispered. Jongin furrowed his eyebrows.

“The only person I would visit in their dreams is you. But I’m not a magician or something like that, I can’t do stuff like that… Are you alright?”, Jongin asked worried as Kyungsoo suddenly covered his face.

His face had heated up as Jongin said that he would visit him in his dreams if he could. His heart was beating like crazy as he looked up again at the handsome boy.

“Y-Yes…”, he managed to say.

“Then I will show you a little of this world”, Jongin said. He made a few steps backwards. “Come closer”, he said. Kyungsoo pressed himself against the mirror, both of his palms were flatly against the glass. Suddenly the room widened and changed more and more.

Kyungsoo stared at the room. Everything was made of glass and sparkled in a soft sunshine. It felt as if he had been here before, as if he had dreamt about this place. A breeze ruffled through Jongin’s hair and from somewhere far away he heard a gentle sound. As if someone was singing.

“It looks pretty doesn’t it?”, he said. Kyungsoo nodded.

“Well, the problem about pretty things is this...”, he said and then flickered his index finger against the glass sculpture.

It made a high jingling sound, it echoed in the room and then before silence fell, the glass shattered into million pieces.

They sparkled on the white floor like spilled tears.

“Pitiful, isn’t it?”, Jongin said and sighed. Kyungsoo stared at the shards.

“Everything beautiful shatters so easy, it is so fragile. Like the world you’re living in, the very moment you consider it being nice it will burst like a bubble. It will fall into pieces like broken glass... like the world I am living in”, Jongin said. He reached out his beautiful fingers.

Beautiful...

“Don’t!”, Kyungsoo called out and made a step backwards.

If I consider you as beautiful, will you break, too?

“What about you, Jongin? What about me, what about every other human? Do we break as easily or are we unbreakable because human beings carry such an ugly soul inside?”, Kyungsoo asked. He looked at Jongin and felt the tears already coming.

“No”, Jongin whispered. His head shook slightly and his lips parted again.

“You are already breaking... see that”, he said and pointed at the tears that were rolling down Kyungsoo’s cheek.

“It’s one of those million pieces inside you that broke”, Jongin said. Kyungsoo looked down.

“And what if no piece is left? What then...?”, Kyungsoo asked. Jongin stayed silent. He opened his mouth and closed it again, he reached out his hand and let it drop.

“What then?”, Kyungsoo repeated.

“You will go on”, Jongin said after a while.

“Go on? Do you mean... really being in another place of this world or do you mean psychically?”, Kyungsoo asked.

Jongin’s lips twitched, for a moment it looked like a weak smile.

“Another place”, he said.

“And where is this place?”, Kyungsoo asked.

“Here, a place in between. Not hell, but not heaven and neither earth”, Jongin said and placed his palm onto the thin glass wall that separated them.

“Ok”, Kyungsoo whispered. Jongin looked surprised. “How could this be ok?”, he asked.

“Because I would be in the same place as you”, Kyungsoo said and with a smile he placed his right palm onto the same place where Jongin hand was lying.

Just from the other side. It almost was as if he could feel Jongin’s hand. Almost.

“Jongin?”

Jongin looked up. The room behind him narrowed, the sound of the breeze and the jingle inside the glass faded out.

“Thank you”, Kyungsoo whispered. Jongin smiled.

“Of course… for you”, he said and his smile faded a little and his eyes got lost in Kyungsoo’s as Kyungsoo tiptoed and leaned in.

Kyungsoo closed his eyes and tried to imagine that his lips didn’t touch a cold glass but Jongin’s lips. But the more desperate he tried, the more he realized that he couldn’t be with Jongin. He would never reach him fully. So he pulled back, but Jongin’s eyes were still closed.

Jongin slowly opened his eyes and pressed his palms against the glass.

“Now I understand what he said”, he whispered. Kyungsoo blinked.

“How it feels like to want to be with someone so badly but you can’t”, Jongin breathed out. Kyungsoo suppressed his tears and placed his palms harder against the glass.

“I just wish I could fall through… I want to be with you so badly. I-I love you”, Kyungsoo confessed.

Jongin looked down. It felt like being torn apart, never had he wanted something so badly. Kyungsoo was everything he wanted. Just to feel his warmth once, hear him breathing, hear his heartbeat, feel his kiss. He wanted to be with him so badly.

“What did you do to go through the mirror?”, Kyungsoo asked.

“No, don’t do that. We will find another way, I don’t want you to get caught inside of here”, Jongin said.

Kyungsoo smiled painfully. “What other way is there, Jongin?”, he asked.

Jongin looked down. Both knew that there was no other way and Kyungsoo wondered what Jongin had done to enter the mirror and why he wouldn’t tell him.

 

***

Kyungsoo put down the dishes. The TV was still on, but the volume was turned down very low. He dried his hands and walked into the living room, and found his aunt sleeping. He heard how the caretaker talked with his sister about repairing a light in the entry hall.

His heart beat quickly when he hesitatingly sneaked towards the bedroom door of his aunt. He opened it and stepped into the room.

The room was surprisingly tidy, but very large and Kyungsoo didn’t know where to start. So he just walked towards the desk and opened all drawers to check through them.

He found a hundred letters and cards but they were all opened and addressed to his aunt. None of them was a letter by Sehun.

He already wanted to give up and accept that there had been no letter. Then the book shelf caught his eye, on top of it there was a black book.

Kyungsoo climbed onto a chair and took it down. It was a photo album and it consisted of pictures of…Sehun and Jongin.

He skipped through the pictures and tried not to stare too much at Jongin. But his heartbeat increased every time he saw him. He over the pictures.

“I love you so much”, he murmured. When he wanted to close the book he saw that it was weirdly thick at the back.

He opened it again and saw that the last page was pasted up. Carefully he opened it and a little letter fell out. Kyungsoo knew immediately that this one was the one he had been looking for.

He put the album back and hid the letter under his t-shirt, then he left the room. He washed the dishes in record time and sped back into his room.

Jongin was not there and he didn’t come as he called him, so he opened the letter and started reading.

 


sorry that it took me longer this time to update...

thank you so much to all my new subscribers~ <3

I'm always happy about new comments and new readers ^__^

the chapter is not very long... sorry for that, I try to update quicker this time to make it up <3