Three Minutes To Begin Again

Of Beginning, Falling In Love, and Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It takes three minutes for Kim Joonmyun to decide a few important things in his life.

 

It takes three minutes for him to decide if he should sign the contract with SM Entertainment, when he was sixteen and passed the audition by singing. They said he got the looks and they could polish him into a new shiny diamond. In that whole three minutes, he thought about how he would live if he becomes a trainee and how his parents will react. Of course they won’t do anything too far, maybe they’ll eventually let him be. But they’ll be so disappointed in him. And he’s the only son, the only heir of the company, the only one his father trust to take the baton and carry on. So after three minutes of thinking, he politely apologized at the CEO and go home, finding his mother smiling as she told him that she made his favorite cake, and he think that he must’ve done the right thing.

 

It takes three minutes for him to decide if he should buy his beloved apartment, he was twenty back then. He has been trying to find a nice apartment to live in, and he found one spacious apartment that styled in all minimalist and futuristic, with three bedrooms with private bathrooms inside, spacious kitchen, nice living room, another small rooms and a wonderful view of Seoul city from the balcony. And they said he could apply a set of voice command for the apartment, so he could only clap for the lamp to turn on or he could set his voice for it, like when he said ‘kitchen’, the lights at the kitchen will turn on. Joonmyun loves futuristic things, so he calculated everything just in three minutes. And after that, he agreed to buy it. Until now, everytime he’s exhausted from work, he’ll come home to a magnificent apartment and feel proud of it.

 

It also takes three minutes for him to agree with his mother that Saehyun should move in with him. They talked about it three days before the wedding, so in the middle of the wedding preparation, Saehyun spare a couple hour to start sorting things that she should bring with her. Turns out that she’s a practical person. She only packed her clothes, her favorite fluffy tiger doll named Sheaffer – she could pronounce it so well – , her laptop, chargers, her beloved iPod doc, her toiletries, and a few of her favorite DVDs. Apparently she doesn’t use makeup that much – she said she hates how lip gloss disturbs her when she eats –, so she’s not bothered with bringing a full set of complicated makeup tools with her. Everything she brings is normal in Joonmyun’s eyes.

 

It approximately takes three minutes for him to agree that letting Saehyun live with him this soon is a right thing. At the very first moment she stepped into the apartment, she couldn’t stop gasping and say things like ‘ramyun-ssi you have a really nice apartment!’ or ‘oh God I dreamed an apartment like this once!’. She seems so happy with everything around her. Apparently she loved futuristic things too. She’s so excited when she tried to turn on the lights with voice command and clapped her hands repeatedly, playing with the lamp on the bedrooms. Joonmyun then shows her the assigned bedroom. It’s spacious as his own, only the decorations are quite different. If his bedroom is the mix of blacks, whites and grays, this one are the mix of whites and browns. Joonmyun suddenly reminded of Saehyun’s pink castle with Hello Kitty’s heads and ribbons scattered everywhere, so he asked her if she’s okay with the room,  maybe she felt uncomfortable. But the answer she gave him made him silenced.

 

“Of course I’m okay with this gorgeous room! And oh I love that window, I love how sunlight could light up my room at daytime without me needing to turn on the lamps. This room is awesome, how could I not be okay with it?” she said as she stared at Joonmyun with a super happy face.

 

It takes three minutes for him to show her the bedroom, and after that he decided that maybe, just maybe, Byun Saehyun is really belong here to live with him. Maybe she’s destined to live here and make everyone inside this room happy because of her presence. Maybe Joonmyun doesn’t need to be alone in this apartment anymore.

 

“But I think your bedroom is more spacious than mine. How could you be not fair??”

 

Okay Joonmyun takes his words back.

 

 

 

“Do you need any help?”

 

Saehyun glanced over the door where Joonmyun is standing at. She smiled as she shook her head and continued to arrange her clothes at the wardrobe. The sound of a nice song could be heard from the iPod doc.

 

“Are you sure? I think I could arrange the stuffs at the shelf and the desk.” Joonmyun asked again, for the sake of being a nice husband. And he doesn’t have anything to do in Sunday.

 

“Thanks but I don’t want to bother you.” Saehyun said. “Besides I trust myself more to arrange the stuffs so I know exactly where everything is. Although I’ll forget some of them in the end.” she chuckled softly.

 

Independent, huh, Joonmyun noted. “Okay then. Tell me if you need anything, okay?”

 

“Okay, ramyun-ssi. Thankyou, you’re so nice.” she smiled at him before she continued with her work.

 

Joonmyun unknowingly smirked in proud. I’m nice?

 

“Ramyun-ssi, you don’t have any maid here?” Saehyun said as she stood up, taking a few piles of clothes with her.

 

“There’s a maid from home that will come here every morning to make breakfast and clean up the rooms.” Joonmyun explained. “Why?”

 

“Nothing. Just asking.” Saehyun said casually as she arranged the clothes. “This apartment looks a bit difficult to be handled alone.”

 

“You’re right.” Joonmyun said.

 

They fell into silence again. A comfortable one. The song still echoes through the room as Joonmyun watched Saehyun had finished arranging her clothes in the wardrobe. She stood up and reached for the last box where she put her stuffs for shelf and desk in. She pushed the box with her right feet until it stopped near the desk. She took out a photo frame and giggled. The picture of the Byuns smiling widely at the camera, with Baekhyun’s arm draped on Saehyun’s shoulder lovingly. She put it at the corner of the desk carefully.

 

“What song is this?” Joonmyun blurts out.

 

Saehyun glanced at Joonmyun, and then at the iPod doc. “Oh,” she said before she took another thing out of the box. “Taylo Swift’s Begin Again.”

 

Joonmyun nodded. “You the repeat mode huh.”

 

“Yeah.” Saehyun grinned. “I really like this song.”

 

“What do you like about it?” Joonmyun asked, then confused why he asked.

 

“The story of it. You know, majority of Taylor Swift’s song lyrics are based by her own experience. I don’t about this one, but it’s really touching for me.” Saehyun said as she arranged a few of tiny Hello Kitty figurines at the mini shelf above the desk. “It’s about a girl trying to move on, being in a new relationship. She has been spending her time thinking about the previous heartbreak and of course that previous guy too. When she met the new guy, she can’t help but keeps noting how the new guy is different from her previous love.”

 

Joonmyun also can’t help but keeps noting how Saehyun’s gaze softened, and then it wandered over a white alpaca plushie wearing a pirate hat inside the box. She stared at it longingly. “Then she wanted to mention about that previous guy, but the new guy started to talk about something else, and she eventually talked along with him about that. And right then she realized that she should be moving on, that she should let everything be because she couldn’t change fate, that ‘what’s past is past’.”

 

Saehyun smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes. Smiling yet looking like she’s in pain. “Such a nice lyric, isn’t it?”

 

Still staring at the girl in front of him, Joonmyun’s mind is processing a lot of thoughts. It’s as if he’s in a trance, and the next words that came out from his mouth are not what he planned to say. “Saehyun, you’ve never told me about your ex.”

 

The girl snapped out from her reverie and stared at Joonmyun, confused. “Uh? What?”

 

“Your ex,” Joonmyun repeated, “you’ve never told me about him.”

 

“Uh, why should I?” Saehyun blurts out.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter