Chapter 4

Vampire Next Door

            The glass building towered over me and the rest of the street as the light from the sun reflected off of it. I stood in front of it and craned my neck just to see the top. Dressed in black dressed pants, a white blouse, a black formal jacket, and a pair of simple black heels, I wiped my nervous sweaty palms on my pants. This was completely my uncle’s idea, this new job that he has set up for me. This was part of his whole scheme of bringing me back to South Korea. He has helped me set up a life here that is close to him and not far off in America. Taking a deep breath, I stepped up to the front door and pushed it open. I walked into a sleek lobby with people dressed in suits and skirts walking all around inside. At the center of the lobby stood a greeter’s desk with a young and pretty girl sitting behind it. Her dark brown hair was pulled back in a tight bun and a small pair of black glasses perched on her nose as she looked down at her computer. I walked up to her with butterflies in my stomach. The girl noticed my presence and smiled at me.

            “Can I help you?” she asked. The smile was sweet and warm. I hesitated before responding, and then I told her the name of the company I was now working for. Her smile faltered for a split-second after she heard the name. “Ah, you seem to be a new employee.” I nodded and a small look of worry came from her brown eyes. “Take the elevator to the tenth floor and it should be right there.” She pointed to where the shiny elevators stood. I thanked her and walked towards them. My heels clacked against the floor as my nerves grew stronger. I wish I didn’t have to take this job, but my uncle made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. He offered to pay for all of my living expense, such as rent, transportation, and food, as long as I worked for this company. He really seemed to want me to work at this place for some odd reason and wasn’t going to take no for an answer. I am not looking forward to it since I am not an office girl, but at least I don’t have to worry about my rent in that really really expensive building I now live in with my hot neighbor. I entered the elevator and pushed the tenth floor button. Then I had a little bit of a déjà vu feeling from the last time I entered a building’s elevator for the first time. I remembered the moment I first laid eyes on Kris in the elevator of the building I live in. As I remembered that moment when our eyes connected for the first time I shivered with excitement and anxiety. The elevator brought me up to the tenth floor; it brought me up to my new job. I was greeted immediately by a woman who was dressed in a tight black skirt and a blue dress shirt. Her caramel colored hair hung in waves from her head and framed her face quite nicely and she had brown eyes that were a very soft color.

            “Hi, you must be Jessica,” she said. Then she looped her arm through mine and led me through a bunch of desks and cubicles. “Welcome to Wu Yifan Industries.” The place was filled with people as they sat at their desks and cubicles with computers and papers in front of them. They all looked so serious and focused. I also noticed that a majority of the workers were women who were dressed in flashy outfits. They also had their hair styled and their faces covered in makeup. The girl with caramel hair led me to a pair of mahogany desks that sat facing each other. One was filled with papers and pens while the other one was empty. “This is your desk.” She smiled at me and happiness and excitement radiated from her. I gave her a small smile and slowly shuffled to my desk. “Ah where are my manners,” she said while shaking her head. “I’m Hyoyeon.” She extended her manicured hand towards me. The blue on her long glossy finger nails was the same blue as her shirt. I took her hand and shook it.

            “I’m Jessica,” I said. Her smile grew even more towards me. Then she went to her desk and plopped in her spinning chair, spun around one time, then leaned over her desk on her elbows towards me.

            “Are you from America?” she asked. Her brown eyes filled with curiosity. I nodded and she produced a small squeal from her glossy pink lips. “That is so awesome.” She emphasized the “so” in her statement. Then we sat in silence as Hyoyeon stared at me with happiness.

            “So what is it exactly do I do here?” I asked.

            “Oh, well you and I will be working close together in the advertising department of the company,” she answered. She placed her head in her manicured hands and continued smiling at me.

            “And what exactly does this company sell?” I asked. Then Hyoyeon’s smile disappeared and it was replaced with a look of surprise.

            “Um, Jessica, have you ever heard of Wu Yifan Industries before?” she asked. I shook my head and her jaw dropped. “Wu Yifan is an international company that specializes in many different products that ranges from furniture to clothing; it is extremely popular and successful.” My heart stopped. My uncle got me a job at this kind of company? My anxiety and nerves rose up again and my palms became very sweaty.

            “Sounds like this is a very intense job,” I said as I stared hard at my new desk. Hyoyeon gave me an encouraging smile.

            “Oh don’t worry, it is actually easy, since the company is very successful we do not have to try super hard in advertising, I mean we try hard, but the company will not fail so easily,” she said. “And besides the president looks over everything we do and has a very good sense of what will be successful.” I spent the rest of the morning with Hyoyeon as she trained me on my new job as a member of the advertising department. She also introduced me to some of the other members of the department. There are nine girls in the department including me and Hyoyeon. The other seven are Yoona, Yuri, Tiffany, Sooyoung, Sunny, Taeyeon, and Seohyun. I can’t believe I was able to memorize all their names in one day. They are all so friendly and welcoming to me, while other women in the office were not as friendly. I received glares, sneers, and mean looks from the other women within the office. I guess they do not like new people. The morning passed by quite fast and I cannot believe that I am actually enjoying this job. For our lunch break, Hyoyeon took me to a small restaurant that was in the building next door. Yuri and Sooyoung joined us as we were seated within the restaurant. Yuri was beautiful with soft long brown hair; she was dressed in a short white skirt and a bright pink blouse with bright pink nails to match. Her gold heels were very tall, which made me wonder how she was even able to walk. She had a look of elegance and beauty when she walked, which also made me very jealous. I wish I was that graceful. Yuri looked more sophisticated while Sooyoung looked more adorable. With her short brown hair and bright face, she had a cuteness that was very attractive for a woman her age. Dressed in a bright purple dress that definitely showed off her small body, she leaned on the table as she stared at the menu in her purple manicured hand.

            “What are you getting Yuri?” asked Sooyoung. Without even taking a peek at the menu, Yuri responded with her order and Sooyoung pouted. “How can you stand to get the same thing everytime?” Yuri shrugged and examined her nails. The waiter came, who seemed quite flustered by the appearance of the three gorgeous women that sat at the table with me, and took our orders. I then turned to Hyoyeon and asked a question that has been on my mind since I entered the office of Wu Yifan Industries.

            “Why are all the women in the office dressed so glamorous?” I asked. All there froze with looks of confusion and surprise on their faces. Hyoyeon looked at Yuri and Sooyoung and then looked back at me.

            “Jessica, why did you take this job?” she asked. I shrugged while feeling a bit frustrated that she did not answer my question.

            “Because my uncle wanted me to,” I responded, which then I received more looks of surprise.

            “You mean you have never heard anything about Wu Yifan Industries?” asked Yuri. I shook my head.

            “You have never heard why women from all over compete for jobs there?” asked Sooyoung. Again, I shook my head and the three of them looked at each other.

            “Women dress so glamorous and compete for jobs there for the same reason,” said Yuri.

            “Because of the president,” said Hyoyeon. And with that, the topic was over as our drinks and food arrived. I was surprised at how fast our food arrived, but also disappointed that the three of them answered my question so vaguely. We returned to the office after lunch. Hyoyeon and I sat at our desks when a person tapped me on the shoulder. I spun around and found my uncle standing behind me. He is a thin man in his forties dressed in a black business suit. His short black hair sat neatly on top of his head and his brown eyes smiled at me. He is quite a handsome man for his age. Surprise took hold of me as I barely sputtered out the question as to why he was here. This kind of explains why he offered me the job.

            “Why Jessica, I work here,” he answered. “I am the vice president.” My jaw dropped and my uncle chuckled.

            “You could have told me that detail when you offered me the job,” I answered. He then gestured me to stand and follow him.

            “Come, the president wants to speak with you,” he said. Then the office grew silent. I tensed up and slowly turned towards the rest of the women, who were now glaring at me with pure envy. Slowly turning back towards my uncle, I followed him to the president’s office. We stopped in front of two gray doors, where a small gold plaque hung on the right door, which said President Wu Yifan. My palms grew sweaty and my anxiety rose to an all-time high. I am going to meet the head honcho of this company. My uncle knocked on the door and I stood behind him taking deeps breaths to keep myself from hyperventilating.

            “Come in,” said a deep voice from the other side. My uncle opened the door and ushered me inside. The room had plain white walls and dark hardwood floors. A big black desk stood in the center of the room with a big black chair that was turned away from me and towards the big glass window in the room. The room was bare except for the desk, chair, and two other chairs that were placed on the side opposite from the big black chair. There was a person sitting in the big chair, but I could not see who it was. I assume it is the president since that is the only person in here. Then I heard the click of the door and immediately spun around. My uncle was gone, which means that I am alone with the president. I wiped my sweaty hands on my pants and took one deep breathe.

            “You wished to see me?” I asked politely. It was a miracle I kept my voice from shaking.

            “Yes,” said a deep voice that was all too familiar, and after hearing it a pit formed in my stomach. The chair spun around and my eyes immediately connected with a pair of very familiar dark eyes. No Way. Kris sat comfortably in the chair and smiled at me. “Hello Jessica.” Upon setting my eyes on him a feeling of dread came over me.

 

He is the president?