Chapter 10

Vampire Next Door

"So you haven't been able to talk to her either?" asked Bora. I heard her voice from the other side of my apartment door. Sitting on the cold floor with my back against the wood, I eavesdropped on Bora's conversation with Kris. 

"I haven't been able to get her to open the door," said Kris. I brought my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. It has been three days since my conversation with Do Min Joon, or should I say my father. It all seems surreal. Who am I? What am I? Human or Vampire? My confused and shocked feelings continued to swirl around me. I am not ready to face them yet, even though they could answer so many questions for me. 

"I am worried," said Bora. "She has been through way too much." 

"Well, this is your fault," accused Kris. "If only you didn't tell her the secret so prematurely." 

"I had to," defended Bora. "She was already very confused after you revealed your true side."

"I had to," defended Kris. "I saved her."

"But you didn't have to go all out and show your vampire self," said Bora. And the argument of blame continued. I guess I just couldn't take it anymore. I just could not listen to them blame each other anymore. Slowly picking myself off of the floor, I reached for the doorknob, grasped it tightly, and opened my door. Bora and Kris stood outside facing each other with their arms crossed. A look of surprise appeared on their faces as I opened my door. Bora immediately grabbed me and squeezed me tightly. "Are you okay?" Her breath tickled my ear. I nodded my head as best as I could despite her embrace. Kris sighed.

"You are suffocating her," he said. Bora's arms loosed, but she didn't let go of me, as she turned and glared at Kris. Kris then turned his attention towards me.

"Are you really okay?" he asked with concern. I nodded again. Neither of them seemed convinced. I grabbed Bora's arms and pulled them away from my body. 

"Why don't you two come inside," I said. "I have some questions for you." I grabbed Bora's hand and guided her inside with Kris right behind us. The three of us sat comfortably in my living room. Bora and I sat on my sofa while Kris positioned himself comfortably in my chair. "What am I?" Kris and Bora looked at each other and smiled.

"You are human," said Kris looking a little amused. "You have vampire blood within you, but vampire blood alone doesn't make you a vampire." My eyes lowered to my hands as I examined my skin. 

"How does someone become a vampire?" I asked. Bora and Kris both shifted uncomfortably in their seats and gave each other looks of unease. 

"Any vampire can turn any human into a vampire," said Bora. "But the clan puts regulations in that process."

"What kind of regulations?" I asked.

"If a vampire wants to turn a human into a vampire, they must first get approval from the clan," said Kris. "Otherwise the world would be overrun with vampires and our secret wouldn't be a secret."

"The clan must believe that our secret will be safe," said Bora. "And the human must be worthy." There was a hint of sadness in Bora's voice as she said the last sentence, and her eyes dropped to her lap. Kris cleared his throat, which caused Bora to look up, and he gave her a disapproving look. 

"How does a vampire turn a human into a vampire?" I asked. Kris gave me a handsome smile as his eyes dropped to the floor.

"With a bite," he said. My jaw dropped and my cheeks began to feel hot.

"A bite?" I stuttered the question. Kris nodded his head. "And..." I trailed off. The words just wouldn't come out. Bora and Kris both stared at me curiously. I sighed. "Do you drink blood?" I stared at the floor as I asked, and my cheeks grew hot again. 

"I'm afraid yes," answered Kris. 

"Then, don't you have to bite to drink?" I asked with my eyes still glued to the floor. 

"Let's just say turning a human into a vampire is a lot more complicated than just drinking their blood," answered Bora. "We don't need to tell you that right now." 

"Then, tell me more about the clan," I said. 

"Well, the clan is basically our higher power that we must obey," said Bora with an irritated tone of her voice. Kris shook his head.

"The clan also protects us," said Kris. "They prevent our secret from being revealed in the human world."

"There are also many other vampire clans around the world," said Bora. "Ours is the largest and most powerful clan in South Korea." I nodded my head as I absorbed the information from Kris and Bora. Somehow, hearing about this stuff isn't as scary anymore. I seemed to be coming to terms with my new life. 

"Not all clans get along well," said Kris. "The two other clans in South Korea envy our clan's power and prestige."

"What happens if you are not a part of a clan?" I asked. Kris shrugged his shoulders.

"I guess you are just a fugitive," said Kris. "The clan has the power to give us identification, jobs, blood, and many other resources that we need in order to live in the human world. Without a clan, life would be hard for a vampire." I slowly nodded my head as the vampire world started to become more and more clear to me. Then, my stomach growled. My hand immediately grasped my stomach and my cheeks grew hot yet again. Bora and Kris both chuckled. 

 

The next day, I stood in the elevator going up to my apartment floor after my first day back to work. I leaned against the wall and sighed as the elevator moved upwards. Once it reached my floor, the doors open, and revealed a young dark-haired man waiting outside my apartment. I approached the man hesitantly.

"Excuse me," I said. The man lifted his head and I immediately recognized him. "Suho?" Suho's face broke out into a smile.

"Hello Jessica," he said. I instinctively put my arms around my old friend and gave him a quick hug. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked. Suho gave me a sheepish grin.

"I thought that I would come and visit you," he said. I looked at him suspiciously.

"You flew all the way to South Korea just to visit me." Suho shook his head.

"I have always wanted to come to South Korea," he defended. "But seeing you is a highlight of my trip." I smiled at him. 

"Well then," I said as I unlocked my door and opened it. "Come on in." We both entered my apartment. I placed my purse on the floor next to my sofa. "Welcome to my apartment." Suho's jaw dropped.

"This place is really nice," he said as he gawked. I gave the bottom of his chin a light tap and chuckled. 

"Have you had dinner yet?" Suho shook his head. "Then how about I cook you something." Suho gave me a suspicious look. I glared back and gave him a small punch to his arm. "I have gotten a lot better at cooking." 

"If you say so," said Suho.

"I just got home from work and I don't want to go out," I said. "Besides, you must be tired as well." Suho nodded his head. I moved to the kitchen and began preparing as Suho went to my sofa and plopped onto it. Once I was finished preparing dinner, I called Suho to the table. With the table set and both of us ready to eat, there was a knock at my door. "You go ahead and eat, I will get the door." Suho nodded with a mouthful of food already in his mouth. I opened the door and found Kris standing in front of me with a suspicious look on his face.

"Someone is here," said Kris as his dark eyes stared me down. Confused, I stood in the doorway with my hand preventing my door from opening all the way.

"How do you know that someone is here?" I asked. Kris's expression didn't change.

"I hear can the two of you talking," he answered. "Now, who is he?" I crossed my arms defensively.

"You can eavesdrop on me?" I asked in a defensive tone, although I don't really understand why I am being so defensive. Kris didn't respond. The two of us stood in silence and glared at each other. 

"Is everything alright Jessica?" asked Suho as he approached the front door and appeared behind me. "Ah, who is this?" I softened my gaze as I turned towards Suho. 

"This is my neighbor Kris," I said.

"Ah, nice to meet you," said Suho as he extended his hand towards Kris. "I'm Suho." Kris didn't say anything as he just started at Suho's hand suspiciously. Then, things grew very awkward very fast. Suho finally dropped his hand and turned towards me. "Well, I should get going." 

"Eh, already?" I asked. "But what about dinner?" Suho chuckled as he made his way out the door into the hallway next to Kris, who was still glaring at him suspiciously. 

"I already finished it," said Suho with a smile. My jaw dropped in surprise, which made Suho chuckle. 

"We didn't even get a chance to talk," I whined. Suho then gave me a small pat on the head.

"Don't worry," he reassured me. "I will come and visit you again." Kris's eyes grew colder and I noticed his hands were clenched very tightly. "Bye." I waved goodbye to Suho and watched him make his way to the elevator. Once he was inside, Suho waved to me until the doors closed. Once those doors closed, my smile disappeared and my attention turned to Kris.

"What was that?" I yelled at him. "Why did you treat him so coldly?" Again, Kris's expression did not change.

"I don't trust him," said Kris. I sighed and shook my head.

"You don't even know him."

"Who is he?"

"A friend from college," I answered with a simple shrug of my shoulders.

"From America?" I nodded in response. Kris then looked away from me and stared at the wall lost in thought. I waved my hand in front of his very handsome face.

"Are you okay?" I asked. I felt my anger start to simmer down. Kris just shook his head, went to his apartment door, unlocked it with his key, and opened the door. He then looked at me one last time.

"Just be careful," he said. Then he disappeared into his place with a slam of the door behind him. Dumbfounded, I stood out in the hallway for a moment and tried to make sense of Kris's suspicions. I sighed once I decided to give up on trying to understand and went back into my apartment.

What is his problem?


Yay! Another chapter is completed!

Thank you guys so much for being patient and for reading my story!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Please keep reading and look foward to more chapters! <3