Chapter 1

Vampire Next Door

 

            Standing out on the street, the tall gray building loomed over me, making me feel insecure and insignificant. With my bags in tow, I stepped through the revolving door into the building that is now my home. The sound of my heels against the smooth stone floor was all that I could hear in the empty lobby. I guess that is expected at four in the morning. While stifling a yawn, I shuffled into the elevator and pressed the button for the thirteenth floor. The elevator hummed as it travelled upward and I felt my fatigue wash over me. My eyelids became heavy and my bags started to feel very heavy in my hands. The elevator slowed to a stop, the doors opened on the thirteenth floor, and two people stood on the other side. One was a woman wearing a red cocktail dress with curly blonde hair. She was very thin and very beautiful. Leaning heavily on the person next to her, her face held a giddy grin. The other person was a young man who was very handsome. Dressed in black pants and a black dress shirt that was ed enough for me to see his smooth tan chest, he had beautiful golden hair that hung just barely above his deep dark brown eyes. His muscles along his arms shown from underneath the black fabric that covered them while he supported the beautiful blonde next to him. Paralyzed by his beauty, I stood without moving and gaped at him. Giving me a charming smile, he shuffled the lady into the elevator and leaned her against the wall while he stood in the doorway.

            “Do I really have to go?” asked the woman in a whiney voice. The giddy goofy grin stayed on her face as she twirled a strand of her curly blonde hair.

            “Yes,” answered the man in a deep silky voice. The tone of his answer sounded pleasant with a tiny hint of irritation underneath.

            “But I want to stay with you for a little longer,” said the woman. She latched onto his arm and her smile just grew wider. Aggravation flickered on his face, but it was replaced quickly with a fake smile while his dark eyes looked menacing and threatening.

            “No,” said the man. His voice gave me goose bumps and I slightly shivered. Then the dark eyes shifted towards me for a slow second and curiosity filled them. My eyes locked with his and I could not look away. A feeling of wonder washed over me, but there was also a small feeling of fear. A part of me was afraid because it seemed that I have lost control of myself, it seemed that he had complete control over me. Then his eyes turned back towards the blonde and the spell was broken. I felt my self-control come back to me and I took a deep breathe. The blonde woman reached out, placed her hand on his collarbone, and looked at him with a seductive smile. I was actually kind of surprised that she could remove that stupid giddy look from her face.

            “Walk me out at least,” she said to him. The woman looked very beautiful with her new expression that replaced the stupid one. He leaned down close to her face and gave her a very y smile. I shifted uncomfortably with fatigue weighing down on me as I waited for the man to get out of my way.  He gave me a small quick look and then nodded his head.

            “Fine, but just this once,” he said to the blonde. Then the stupid giddy expression returned and a squeal escaped from her very red lipstick covered lips. Then he turned towards me. “Are you getting off here?” he asked. Unable to speak, I just nodded with my mouth open. I admit that the way I am acting is not very attractive, but it is four in the morning and I have been traveling all night so I am very tired. A laugh came from his beautiful lips as he stepped next to the blonde and wrapped his arm around her tiny waist. “Then what are you waiting for.” This comment struck me as kind of rude since he was the one who was blocking my way and I wanted to say something rude back, but all I could muster was a quick little nod of my head and I shuffled out of the elevator as fast as I could. As the elevator doors closed I could hear his silky voice chuckling and I became flushed with embarrassment. The long elegant hallway was empty with lights lining along the walls. With my tired aching feet, I pursued onward towards my new apartment. Once I came to the door with the number 1309, I sighed with relief, grabbed my new little bronze key, and unlocked the door. I threw my bags on the floor in the hallway and stumbled towards my new living room. All my furniture was moved ahead of time, but all my boxes were stacked along the back wall and the sight of them made me feel even more exhausted. Without a second glance at anything else, I immediately shuffled to my bedroom and plopped on my bed. Kicking off my shoes, I snuggled under my covers and drifted into sleep.

 

            I woke up at two in the afternoon. Feeling restful and rejuvenated, I crawled out of my bed and stretched. Still dressed in my jeans and simple black t-shirt, I walked around my new apartment taking it in. The apartment was huge and luxurious with beautiful hardwood flooring throughout and nice big windows in my living room and kitchen. The mountain of boxes against my living room wall looked tiring to me so I decided to avoid touching it. My stomach feeling empty and knowing that my kitchen is empty, I decided I needed to go out. I freshened up in the bathroom, pulled on my coat, and headed towards my door. Then a knock sound came from my door. I stared at it curiously as I wondered who that could be. Without looking through the peep hole, I opened the door and my eyes connected with familiar dark brown ones. The man from the elevator leaned casually against my doorframe with a small smirk on his beautiful lips. I frowned with confusion.

            “What are you doing here?” I asked. His dark eyes danced with amusement as the smile on his face grew.

            “Why I live here,” he said. More confusion swept over me along with a small feeling of dread. “Nice to meet you neighbor.”

            You have got to be kidding me.