Past and Present

You're Still My No. 1

Things got pretty awkward at school after that day. I mean like one day I was hugging her, the next day we weren't talking at all. I don't know whether she liked me or not. Maybe it was still because of the bad history between our families. I desperately wanted to be by Jessica's side, but there would always be the thought: We can never be together. It really saddens me when I think about it. I mean apart from Jessica, what can be so serious that my dad and her dad have so bad history with each other?

Me myself wasn't sure of the real reason. The first time I knew about it, was when I was just a little kid. My dad just came back from work fuming mad. I asked him why, he just answered me angrily, "Jung Yun Seok..." I asked him who he was and he said, "A ... friend." But he said 'friend' with a bitter taste to it. Then he stomped off back to his room. Back then, we were not rich yet. Just a normal family living in a normal house.

Then, about two years later was when I knew that the relationship between them was pretty bad. My dad sued Jessica's dad for something I didn't know. It was kept a secret. I asked my dad countless times what it was about, but he wouldn't answer me. Jessica's dad at that time had already established a well known fashion company and  my dad was well known for his charity company. So, this case was obviously plastered all over the newspapers. Everyone knew about it.

From then on, my dad warned me not to come in contact with Jessica's dad or his children. You can't even talk about falling in love. Its impossible. But what can I do? I've met all three children, fallen in love with one. It was just bad. My dad told me very bad stories of Jessica's dad which made me also dislike him. Not hate. Maybe my dad's point of view was like that. Maybe it wasn't true. But he told me with so much bitterness, I couldn't help but also dislike his family. Now I've met Jessica...

Jessica told me not to tell my dad that she was Jung Yun Seok's daughter. Just not yet. And she said that she wasn't going to tell her dad anything. I didn't know how long we could put it up. I don't want to know the answer.

But first, I wanted to find out why my dad was so angry with Jessica's father. I could do it after school ended for the year. I'd have lots of time to plan and think out. I must say, after meeting Jessica,Taemin and Key, my view of her family changed, like a comparison, before and after. I just hoped they'd inherited their good nature from their dad, otherwise I was dead.


Nicole avoided us all the time now, which was good. We obviously got more attention after that incident. The girls started to take more interest in Jessica. The boys asked me if I was Jessica's boyfriend. I said no. It was true! The way Jessica treated me now... It was way too obvious that Jessica wasn't my girlfriend.


One day, just a few days before school officially ended, my music teacher announced something that Jessica and I were very interested in.

"Okay kids! Calm down! I've got something to announce.", she said. The class took a while to quiet down and looked at the teacher. I was goofing around with Jung Min before that.

The teacher looked around before continuing, "There is going to be a singing competition during the holidays. The judges are from SM entertainment. Its a national competition." I held my breath. A singing competition?

"Its on New Year's eve. I know its early to tell you all but you need to practice right?", she said. People began talking excitedly. "Ah yes. One more thing. You all can have a group for it. Duet is fine too. The maximum number of people per group is five. The people that want to sign up please go online and sign up. Hope you all are up for it!"

I could hardly breathe. SM entertainment. Competition. I became happy as a puppy as I heard that. "Omg...", I muttered. "Dude. You're not going to seriously sign up for it right?", Jung Min asked. I just gave him a wry smile and answered, "Not telling you."

After school ended for that day, I quickly ran to meet Jessica outside the lockers. "Hi Jjong.", she said with a smile when she saw me coming while she was placing some books into her locker.  Wow that was the first smile she gave me in this week...

I leaned against the lockers and said, "Umm... You know the national singing competition Mrs Kim told us about today?" "Yeah. Why?", Jessica asked as she bent down to pack her locker further.

"Er... You wanna pair up for it?"

Jessica stopped moving and peered at me from her locker door.

"You're saying that we should pair up and sing?"

"Yeah... But if you're not okay with that-"

"No! No! Its great. I'd love that. But..."

"But what?"

"We need to meet up to practice right?"

"Yeah?"

"What if our parents find out? We'll... You know..."

"Let's just keep up the act."

"Okay. But when they find out..."

"We'll figure it out. I'm sure of it."

Jessica grinned and then closed her locker door. "Okay. Let's go with that idea."

We both then walked as we discussed. "What song are we going to sing?", Jessica asked. Then we both looked at each other. "You should know what it is.", I said as I smiled. "You're Still My No. 1.", Jessica concluded. "Yes!!", I replied enthusiastically. "That's good.", Jessica said as she nodded her head.

"Remember the first time we met?"

"Yeah. The song was awesome. But you had a derp face on. You looked pretty cute too."

I stared at her. "Okay! Fine. Sorry!", Jessica mumbled.

"Anyway, whose house should we go to for practice?"

"Mine?"


Hi people! Good improvement for me! I typed faster today! Yay! I hope you enjoyed it.

The story looks calm now right? I think no bad things will happen for the next few chapters. Its gonna be cute! But just to note, I'll be having camp for the next three days so I won't be updating T.T

Anyway, please comment and subscribe! Thank you!