The Key to Friendship

You're Still My No. 1

For the rest of the week, I didn't get to see Taemin that much. I didn't even see his siblings.  One of the reason was that I had to follow my dad to the office.

Okay by now, you would have been itching to know what business my dad was in right? I'm gonna spit it all out. My dad's the principal of Jae Sung High School and I was a student there. He had been the principal for a long time already so you can imagine the amount of attention I have been getting. When I started the first year in High School which was last year, I avoided all the questions about my family wealth. I didn't want to be called the 'rich kid' like in middle school, and I hated getting a lot of attention. Unfortunately, somebody caught me talking to my dad in the office, calling him 'dad' and voila. I became known.

Yoona was going to attend Jae Sung High this year after the summer break. The first year in High School. I didn't tell anyone that my sister was coming to the school. I knew she hated attention as much as me. She told me once that she had lots of boys chasing her in her middle school and she didn't like any of them. I was quite sure the same thing would happen in High School. Talking about being chased, I was also being chased by a lot of girls. My friends said that I was quite handsome. I didn't believe it. Okay maybe I was. None of the girls that I had met left a deep impression on me. They tried so hard to get into the top clique, always flirting with other boys, always trying hard to look pretty. I didn't like that. The only girl that I met that had left a deep impression on me, was Jessica.

Yoona was quite eager to start High School. I can't say that I wasn't excited about returning but I had a deep feeling that this year was going to be really interesting.


Soon, the much awaited Monday arrived. I woke up very early to prepare for school. I changed out of my home clothes into the school uniform then I picked up my school bag. I decided not to comb my hair properly. I felt like annoying Yoona. Again. I was pleased that I had packed my school bag last night. I didn't know what was going on in my mind these few days. The usual me was a last minute person. I then closed the door and went downstairs.

When I was downstairs, Mum was setting helping the maid set the breakfst on the table. "Hi Mum.", I said as I sat down on one of the chairs around the dining table. I watched Mum put the plates on the table in silence. Then I asked, "Where's Yoona?" "She's not down yet.", Mum answered as she placed the last plate on the table. "Done.", she mumbled as she dusted her hands and then looked at me. "You excited about the new school term?", she asked as she sat down in one of the chairs. "So-so.", I replied. I then poured myself a glass of milk and gulped. Suddenly Mum said, "Ah. Yoona's coming down."

I lifted my head and looked at the staircase. I almost hit my jaw on the table when I saw Yoona. She was very pretty in the school uniform. She wore a checkered headband and a white watch. Yoona waved to me as she jumped down the staircase, two steps at a time. I mean, she was really pretty. She was sure to get noticed in school very soon.

Yoona stepped off the last step and made her way to the dining table. She greeted, "Good morning Mum! Good morning oppa!" I gave her a nod and continued eating.

After a while, Mum looked at her watch and hurried us out of the school. "Kids! You two have to go now! If not you'll be late!", she said frantically. Yoona and I grumbled a bit but we finally got out of the house. Before we got into the car, she hugged us and wished us good luck. Then we set off.

On the way, Yoona kept fretting. I told her, "Yoona-ah, don't worry. I'm sure you'll get through the first day fine." "But they're going to announce our classes! Will I have friends?", she complained. I almost facepalmed right there and then. I sighed and replied, "Yoona, you know you never don't have friends and you get along with everyone quite okay" She thought for a while and said, "Good point."

After about 20 minutes, we reached the school. Yoona got out of the car first, followed by me. It was still quite early, about half an hour early before school starts at 7.30. Well said Mum. 'We'll be late.' Yeah right.

Yoona and I walked to the school hall for assembly. There were a few students here and there. Some students saw us and started whispering to their friends. I knew what they were talking about. We finally reached the school hall and we walked inside. "Yoona. I think all the year ones will sit there first.", I pointed to the right side of the hall where some people were sitting. Yoona nodded and started walking towards that space. Naturally, I followed her first.

When she sat down on the floor, she smiled at me and gave me a thumbs up sign. I nodded and walked away to the class I was in. I knew it already because it was written in the report card last year. I was sort of relieved when my homeroom teacher last said that my old classmates would be staying the same class except for a few new students from other classes or some classmates would be going to another class or even a new transfer student.

When I walked towards where my class was supposed to sit, a group of girls walked towards me. "Hi Jonghyun!", a voice said. I tried walking away as fast as possible because I knew who that voice belonged  to, and I didn't really like her. But I was surrounded by girls faster than I could walk away. The voice called my name again and I turned around and gave a fake smile to the leader.

"Jonghyun oppa! You're back!", the girl said as she made a cute expression. "Er... Hi Nicole.", I said as I tapped my feet continuously, wanting to run away as fast as possible. Nicole beamed at me and went forward to hug me but I sidestepped and she almost toppled over. Her friends snickered. "Aww oppa can't I even hug you. Am I not cute?", she asked me egoistically. I went for a smile while trying not puke and said while backing out slowly, "Er... Nicole I have to go somewhere now. So bye!" I then turned and tried to step out of the circle but some girls blocked my path. I turned back to Nicole and gulped.

Nicole then said while making a disppointing expression, "Aww oppa you want to get away from me?" I was screaming in my mind :Yes I want to!!! But I didn't say anything. "Anyway, who was that girl you were talking to just now?", she asked 'sweetly'. I got honestly got stunned. Then suddenly, a boy pushed through the circle of girls. He saw me in the middle with Nicole taunting me. I tried to give him a warning to stay away using my eye power as much as possible. That boy had black brown hair, a pair of eyes that twinkled mischievously and a head of dishevelled hair. He was quite handsome and Nicole and her gang had a liking for good looking guys.

The boy looked at Nicole in utter shock. "Oh goodness! Miss, isn't that called ?", he asked. A smile crept onto my face but I tried to keep it down. That boy was seriously good at acting. He went forward and pulled my arm and pulled me out of the group. Before he left, he shouted at Nicole, "And miss, you have quite a lot of talent in acting like a clown!" Then he dragged me away to somewhere in the school hall while running. I managed to look back at Nicole and the look on her face was priceless. That boy had totally earned my respects.

The boy stopped running and let go of my arm. "Gee thanks for rescuing me. Gosh. I really hate those girls." I told the boy. He just grinned at me and said, "You're welcome." He paused for a while and continued, "You shouldn't really let those girls bully you like that. You should have a personal defense against goons like them." I then asked, "What's your defense weapon?" "Sarcascism and comedy.", he answered with a twinkle in his eyes. "Oh. Interesting.", I said as I nodded my head. "What's your name?", I asked the boy. He flashed a grin and said, "Ki Bum, but my friends call me Key. I'm 16. Year 1." "I'm Jonghyun. I'm in Year 2 now.", I said.

"Oh... So you're 17?", Key asked. "Yep.", I replied cheerfully. Then a thought hit my brain. "Do you have a brother called Taemin in any way?" Key stared at me in surprise. "Yeah. How did you know him?", he asked. Key narrowed his eyes as if he still didn't believe me. "Mushroom hair? Cute smile? Looks like he's a young kid but he's 16?" "Yep. That's the one I know of.", I said. "Oh gods! Then we're double friends. But how did you meet Taemin?", Key asked. I answered, "I met him while walking around the neighbourhood. It was sort of an accident. Your family just moved there." Key beamed a bright smile at me. "So its true... Goodie! We're neighbours!"

Just then, the school bell rang. Key said as he began to walk away, "Bye! Gotta go. See you around in school!" "Bye! Nice eeting you!", I shouted back over the growing noise of the school hall. He waved to me and disappeared into the sea of students. I sighed as I walked to my class' row. Sometimes you just find friends in the weirdest times.

My friend, Jung Min ran towards me when he saw me. "Hey Jonghyun! You're back!", he greeted. "Yeah nice to see you too.", I replied as I put my bag down in the queue. He hooked an arm around my neck and asked, "Hey. Who's that pretty girl you were walking with just now?" I stared at him. "Or your GF?", he continued. "Yeah! She's my GF! She's my Good Friend!",  I shouted at him. "Ouch! that was loud. Okay fine sorry.", he said as he rubbed his ears. He then looked at me and said, "Okay spit it out. Who's she?" I just gave him a wide smile and pulled away from him and walked back to my seat. "Aww come on!", Jung Min complained.

Fortunately, the second school ball rang, which meant that assembly was about to start. I turned around and stuck my tongue out at Jung Min. He rolled his eyes and mouthed, "I'll get you later." Then, the head councillor went on stage and said, "School attention!" and the national athem started playing.


Yay!!! I completed my third chapter! Hope you all enjoyed it! Please COMMENT and subscribe. I really appreciate them! Thank you very much! :)